A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Piston replacement for oil consumption problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 2009 A4 due to a wide variety of problems - mostly suspension issues - but it did consume oil as well, although in the range of 2500 miles per quart. My wife's A3 is much better, although very occasionally will require oil in between changes. My Regal, which has a 2.0 litre turbo (220hp) burns absolutely no oil at all.

I believe that there is a class action suit underway for this issue, although I do not know what the status of it is. No excuse for this nonsense.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by N2AK
Remember that you have a long emissions warranty & that this sort of oil consumption would probably make your car fail federal emission requirements.
There is no oil consumption federal test for emissions. If you burn enough to damage the O2 sensors then it won't pass but if you replace the sensor it will.If you burn a quart in less then 1000 miles you could complain enough that Audi will replace the rings. Poor quality or poor design , you make the call.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt broke after piston / rings replacement 59k!!

I'm new to the forum and need some solid advice. I have an 08 a4 that had a longstanding oil consumption problem. Audi refused to fix for months, then in November 2013 agreed to replace pistons and rings. Since put 3k mi on it and first hot day the timing belt snapped- last Monday. Towed to dealer. They used boroscope and said pistons and rings are fine but timing belt snapped and valves bent. They're saying it's a "maintenance item". That's BS- maintenance schedule states 110k mi for belt change. I feel like they caused this problem but need advice on what to say to them!!
Old 04-07-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A4 piston problem

I own a 2011 Audi a4 1.8l wagon, few months ago it started have some problem, the engine oil running very fast, and the black smoke just come out. The staff in the 4s shop said that is the piston ring problem and I need to rebuild the engine to fix this problem. It will cost me around $10,000(AUD). I living in Australia now and I am not sure that should they will pay a part of that cost or not. I hope someone could help me because I am a international student, that cost for fix the car is a huge money for me. Does anyone know how to fix this problem except rebuild engine? Can I require for some cost cover from Audi company due to the problem caused by their engine design problem?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2011 A4 that was using an excessive amount of oil. (about a quart every 1500miles) I brought it in for stage 1 Nov of last year. In January i brought it in again and was told i'd been approved for stage 2. I was told they did a partial rebuild with new pistons. (I'd also asked about replacing the timing chain/tensioner while they had the engine out. Was initially told it'd cost $900, called back to press them on it and they did it for free. yay audi) Car has been great since. as a matter of habit i periodically check the oil level through the MMI and was surprised to see it said to actually remove oil about a week ago. I hadn't touched it since the repair.
I've read a lot about issues people have been having and feeling like Audi is dropping the ball in some cases, but I'm pretty happy with how i've been treated recently. I think it really comes down to where you bring the car.
After the partial engine rebuild and timing chain tensioner replacement i'd asked them to look at my water pump last week, since I was told that can be an issue as you get into higher mileage. (i have about 80k on it) my pump didn't fail but they replaced it anyways. A partial engine rebuild, timing chain and water pump/thermostat repair would have cost me thousands of dollars, but audi did this all for free within a span of 3 months. Every car can have issues, but the way I've been treated means i'm more likely to get another audi when this one dies.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:11 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We had the engine repaired for excessive oil consumption on our '11 A4 at about 20K miles. At 38K, 18 months later the engine spun #1 bearing, 9 months out of warranty. Audi 'gave' us a long block, we paying out $2,600 for the repair labor. No question in our mind that the spun bearing was a result of a poor engine rebuild after the pistons/rings were replaced to solve the oil consumption problems. 10 months later the fuel pump failed and we paid another $1,200 in repairs.
On top of it all we have a model year that has a nasty throttle hesitation/indecisiveness for which the dealer has no answer.

Last edited by bpp; 04-28-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RichardC
I own a 2011 Audi a4 1.8l wagon, few months ago it started have some problem, the engine oil running very fast, and the black smoke just come out. The staff in the 4s shop said that is the piston ring problem and I need to rebuild the engine to fix this problem. It will cost me around $10,000(AUD). I living in Australia now and I am not sure that should they will pay a part of that cost or not. I hope someone could help me because I am a international student, that cost for fix the car is a huge money for me. Does anyone know how to fix this problem except rebuild engine? Can I require for some cost cover from Audi company due to the problem caused by their engine design problem?
im also in australia have an a5 rebuild done for 4500 by independent mechanic
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No Worry... be HAPPY!

Originally Posted by 33
My 2009 A4 Avant's been burning oil at a pretty high rate (about 1 qt every 1k mile or less). The dealer performed an oil consumption test and recommended having the piston replaced. Has everyone heard of this being done to resolve oil consumption issues? My understand is that oil burning is caused by the cylinder not sealed properly (no?). Will replacing pistons alone resolve the problem?

While the work is covered under the warranty, I'm still worried that it may have lasting impact on the car. Should/can I request extended warranty, at least on the related area, from the dealer or Audi of America?

Btw, the oil consumption test the dealer performed is a two-part procedure. The first part is doing an oil change and taking a baseline of the car. After 800 miles driven, the car is taken back for the second part, which I assume is an oil analysis.

Thanks for your input!

Chris
Don't worry, I had the same procedure performed on my 2009 A4 Avant at around 60K and everything went well.

They replaced the pistons and of course the rings. The rings were actually the problem (too weak) and were a bad batch that got past the inspectors.

While they had my engine apart I had them also look at my timing chain and tensioner and had them replaced.

I have 152,000 miles and no oil issues period. So don't worry, be happy.

Hopefully, your mechanic is top notch.

Good Luck.