A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Possible New Purchase

Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,568 Posts

The afterrun pump circulates coolant through the turbo after shutdown. It's an electric pump that in the 13-16 has a concern for clogging and possibly catching on fire. So they will all be replaced eventually. But given the possible hazard (I have no idea if any real world instances of a fire have occurred), for those where there are not sufficient replacement on hand, they are just disconnecting it (N4 option) and extending the warranty on the turbo. So long as the terms of the turbo warranty are unlimited miles / unlimited time and transferable, then it's really a non-concern. But I don't remember the turbo warranty extension terms offhand.

'11 is the oldest I'd want, because I want the 8spd transmission and HD radio. I don't know anything about the B7 generation (2002-2008?), other than the FSI motor in it (B8 uses the second gen motor, TSI) has it's own world of issues to consider as well.

If I were replacing my 09 avant with something, my first preference would be an 11-12 avant. They replaced the avant (normal wagon) with the allroad here in the US for 13-16. I don't like the allroad as much, but I could go for a 14-15 allroad as a second option (there was no prestige trim in 16). In either case, I'd simply have to do my homework on the engine history for any prospect. The only other wagon option is the BWM 3, but I don't like it as much as the B8. And the N20 motor is known for self-destruction as much as the CAEB motor.

If your just looking at a sedan, I'd say go Japanese if cost containment is a concern. I've gotten my 09 to 189k miles, but I've spent at least triple in upkeep/repair what I spent during ten years with my G35.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. My wife has a 16 A6-2.0t-FWD the car has been awesome with about 110k now and no problems. This car has been a joy to drive and is fast.
I want an A4 smaller body with the same motor, same dependability and same performance. That was my goal because I will be driving the car more than my son because he will be attending college this year.
Are you doing any of the maintenance on your car? I'm in the US and perform the majority of the repairs so far.
I truly am not a fan of BMW's that would not be an option for me. LOL
Old 06-10-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Other than replacing the chains/tensioners at 130k and replacing the rings/pistons at 85k, iirc, (paid by AoA), I've done all the work on the car since 85k. Except tire mount/wheel balance/alignment.
I think of the A4 2.0T as a slug, but that's coming from a G35. 2.0T loaners are peppy enough, but mine has the P0299 and never serviced transmission and chatty turbo, so it's a slug. 09 and 10 have the 6-spd tranny; you need an 11 or later to get 8-spd in the A4.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

May I ask what happened to the rings? Did they wear out or were they made of bad material? As far as the tensioners, what happened to them? Did they break or wear out?
I am curious to the fact I don't have a garage space to do major tear downs but I can do maybe minor to intermediate work.

Audi has come a long way from the '80s and '90s. I would never look at an Audi until I start looking into the A6 for my wife. I thought the 2.0t was a bulletproof engine. Now I have to back up to see if I can find a 13 A-4 2.0t for a decent price. I also believe the 8-speed tranny is a big plus.

Thanks for all of the information you have provided me. It will help me in the decision process for the A4. If I find one that seems to be a good buy for my own car and I will probably buy him an Asian car for a cheaper price and less maintenance like you mentioned.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Those are just known defects in the CAEB TSI motor from 09-12. The rings can go defective resulting in severe oil consumption. Within the span of maybe 5k miles I went from going 10k between oil changes with no top off to burning a quart between gas fill up. Thus why AoA was paying to replace the rings/pistons. But will they if your 2.0T starts burning oil, this many years later? The original tensioner is known to break, letting the chain go and destroying the pistons and valve train. That's a class action suit that recently concluded (I think it has). Doing internals work is not something I care to bother with. I've replaced the intake manifold, the injectors, the turbo, the PCV (several times), motor mounts, control arms, even the sunroof frame when it jacked itself. But once I need to pull the motor, time for a shop to take over. I could have done the timing work, but it's my only car, I didn't need to risk an error, and it meant several hundred in one time tools. So I let the dealership do it.

So you want to have the K rev or later tensioner, but just because they replaced the tensioner doesn't mean they changed the chain (exactly what they did when they replaced my pistons). So if you have the K rev or later, check the adaptation and if it's under 4 degrees, leave it be. If it's near 4 or more, think about having the chain done. If it's the original style, don't drive it till you replace the chain and tensioner. There's no heads up, it just happens, and then you're rebuilding your head.

AoA should have no problem confirming if they've covered piston replacement work on a VIN. A dealership won't be able to confirm, I imagine, unless they were the place that did the work. But there have been people that have had the work done without AoA's support. But if you're looking at an 09-12 with an original motor than hasn't had the work done, you should budget because it could happen, anytime without notice. Or never. How lucky a person are you?

And I wouldn't look to a 13 unless it was a great deal. That's that crossover gray area. A 14-16 "should" be a much more solid gamble of hope.
https://www.timingchainlitigation.com/
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

SMac770 thanks for all of your info my hunt will more than likely be a 14 A4 2.0t
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Good information in this thread, thanks!

Daughter's '10 A4 may just have been totaled. Car was parked, someone ran into it, from the side. LR suspension folded. Bumper cover, LR quarter, both doors, front fender will all need attention. Ride side of car forced over curb, suspension may be damaged. Refinish 3-4 wheels, maybe tire replacement.

Piston work had been done by dealer on this engine at 77K by prior owner.

Car was in very nice shape prior. Daughter very sad.

I have a feeling our insurance company will total it. They totaled our C5 A6 with minor front end damage a couple of years ago and gave us enough to purchase the A4 with no money out of pocket...

Guess we're looking for a '13 A4 sedan, automatic, New England area.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, insurance never accounts for the value of the used car when particular work has been done on it. Hanging on to that motor would have been useful if you wanted to shop for a 09-12 that might have a dead or dying motor. And no insurance paid shop ever returns a car back to the way you remember it. That much work, something will be not as it was.