A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

restoring a 2012 Avant

Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default restoring a 2012 Avant

Just picked up a cheap 2012 Avant from an insurance sale. Car has 50k miles and runs great, but what type of general maintenance should I be focused on with that many miles on it? I believe I read about a timing belt issue happening around 100k, but I’ll probably sale it long before that. I plan on getting some after market springs, and wheels for it as I never drive stock and maybe the RS (I think that’s what they are called) grill. I’ve always loved audi’s so excited to get her on the road!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,568 Posts

2012 probably already has the updated camshaft chain tensioner. It should be easy enough to check (well, as easy as anything is on a german 4 cylinder), but you'll want to confirm you have the K revision. That's the only chain issue (three chains in the engine, no belts). There is the ribbed v belt on the front of the engine for the accessories. I replaced that at 130k just because I was in there at the time. Figured it's a cheap part vs if it just snapped out of the blue one day as it aged.

You might still face problems with the turbo, the intake manifold, the injectors, and the oil consumption issue. But you won't know till they happen. Nothing you can do from a proactive perspective.

New springs, so you'll get new dampers, but you'll still want to check the rubber on the front upper control arms and the motor mounts.

When you look at air box, there's the duct that goes from the front of the car. Check the screen on the front of that (the snow screen as they call it). Even after a dealership oil change, it was black, though they are supposed to clean it. I never had such a screen on prior cars.

Congrats on the new vehicle. I love my avant and the quattro. But that 2.0T CAEB motor is a complete and total POS.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow thanks for all the tips. The chain is I believe what I read about audi's making them dead at 100k. Is there anyway to look up the vin to see if I have the "K" revision or a stamp or something on the car or is it something a mechanic has to verify?

I'll have the suspension place check the control arms and rubber when the new springs go on, but they said I wouldn't need new shocks until at least 70k so I probably won't replace those yet. Thanks for the tip on the air box I may end up putting an after market on it so I can just take it off and clean it as needed instead of paying shops to replace the filter all the time.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,568 Posts

There's nothing magical about 100k. If it's prior to the K rev, it can let go whenever, or maybe never.
Here's a vid by boring guy,
, and a vid by excited guy,
, to get you started on the subject.
You have a 2012; you might see if AoA knows when the K rev went into production. It might not be a problem for 2012 model year. Mine is a 2009; I have every possible CAEB problem.

As for the snow screen ahead of the engine air filter, I'm just saying it's there, in case you haven't had a car with one before. It needs to be cleaned from time to time. Even if your car was dealer serviced at the proper intervals, it's no certainty they cleaned it. Just open the hood and remove the four screws across the front and take off that plastic cover across the top of the radiator space. You'll see what I mean.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
There's nothing magical about 100k. If it's prior to the K rev, it can let go whenever, or maybe never.
Here's a vid by boring guy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL_pLK7oGkg, and a vid by excited guy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65J1aEszyc, to get you started on the subject.
You have a 2012; you might see if AoA knows when the K rev went into production. It might not be a problem for 2012 model year. Mine is a 2009; I have every possible CAEB problem.

As for the snow screen ahead of the engine air filter, I'm just saying it's there, in case you haven't had a car with one before. It needs to be cleaned from time to time. Even if your car was dealer serviced at the proper intervals, it's no certainty they cleaned it. Just open the hood and remove the four screws across the front and take off that plastic cover across the top of the radiator space. You'll see what I mean.
Ok thanks for the links I'll have to do some research for sure. I've never had a car with the intake screen, but every car I do own all have after market intakes since I think it really helps keep dirt out and cold air in.