A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Reverse light not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse light not working

Hi ,

I looked and couldn't find an answer to my problem , my back right reverse light is not working , replaced the bulb and still didn't work , the one on the left has since blown , Replaced both bulbs and still nothing.
Bought a few but am not sure where the location of it is , If anyone knows , i have included some pictures of all the fuse locations if anyone knows which one is the actual reverse light fuse.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Its a Audi A4 2010
Old 09-27-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Pat Mustard
Hi ,

I looked and couldn't find an answer to my problem , my back right reverse light is not working , replaced the bulb and still didn't work , the one on the left has since blown , Replaced both bulbs and still nothing.
Bought a few but am not sure where the location of it is , If anyone knows , i have included some pictures of all the fuse locations if anyone knows which one is the actual reverse light fuse.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

hey did you ever get to fixing this problem? I have the same problem and can’t solve this
Old 09-27-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

The rear lights are managed by the J393, which is powered by the 8th, 10th, and 11th fuses in ST2 in fuse panel F.
That would be the second row, marked B on the plastic, in the fuse group in the right rear luggage space.
You can see the two 30A and one 20A fuse for that in the OPs second picture.

But that just a single rear light stopped working would make it unlikely a fuse issue. If it wasn't a bulb issue, then likely a wiring issue.
If the bulbs were in fact blown, then maybe a short in the line. Still odd that only the reverse light, and then both reverse lights, and no other lights on the same side.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a related question about the wiring to the reverse or back up light.
Mine is an A4 2 T Quattro form Jan 2010.
I see 4 wires going to the connector. A brownish or orange one, and three grey with stripes, and a black and white stripe.
The bulb socket has only two pins.
How do I identify the positive and ground wires? I am trying to hook up a backup camera, which this one does not have.
I have checked the metal contacts of the connector with a voltmeter but could not locate the correct two wires.
Any help will be appreciated.
I am new to this forum. I have pictures but not sure if they could be uploaded.
Also I have to figure out how to post a new message instead of a reply.
Rajkumar Warrier

Rajkumar
Old 09-29-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

US 2010 A4, but sedan or wagon? The tail lights are different for sedan and wagon, and I mean beyond simply that in the US the sedan had LED and the wagon had incandescent. Alternative question would be is the reverse light on the inside (sedan) or outside (wagon) light panel.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
US 2010 A4, but sedan or wagon? The tail lights are different for sedan and wagon, and I mean beyond simply that in the US the sedan had LED and the wagon had incandescent. Alternative question would be is the reverse light on the inside (sedan) or outside (wagon) light panel.
Thanks for the reply.
It is Quattro sedan.
I figured out the wires. I took the light assembly and noted that the two wires were for the brake light bulbs which are in the same assembly. The other two wires are for the back up lights. There were 4 pins on the assembly. The connector was supplying power to them and the two upper row connectors are for the reversing light. So I was able to put a T tap on the wires and connect the back up camera. It is working!

Thanks again

Rajkumar
The following users liked this post:
QuattroInPortugal (11-19-2023)
Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2x2 plug instead of the 5x1 plug, so you must have incandescent tail lamps. Looked back at the 2010 brochure, and sure enough, the LED tails were only on the Premium Plus and Prestige.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Correct. All incandescent. No LEDs
The reverse light bulbs are the two pin pus 'wedge' type.
The others are 'push and turn' type
Old 11-02-2019, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Have you looked into changing the reverse light switch that is located underneath the car where the gearbox would be?

Quick Reply: Reverse light not working