A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Rough down shift when coming to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough down shift when coming to a stop?

Hi Folks - Have a 2013 A4 Premium Plus with Triptronic that just hit 40k miles. I never drive in manual. When I come to a slow stop, the transmission jerks quite a bit and it has gotten more frequent in the last few weeks. Lets say going 15 mph to a complete stop. Usually only happens in between 1,000-2,000rpm. And it does a rough shift after going from 0-15mph to move forward again. Is this normal? I don't have audi drive select by the way. I got the car used and I don't think the transmission fluid has ever been changed.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it the engine that produce the jerk (changing between engine braking and power)? I'm not sure if the triptronic (with torque converter) was available 2013. Do you think it is an "S-tronic" (dual clutch)?
If it is an S-tronic and if it is the clutches that produce the jerk it might help to reset the self adjustment that I have read other poster have described:
1 Put your key in the ignition and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine!)
2 Hold down the gas pedal pressing the button under the pedal for at least 20 seconds.
For nr 3 there are different opinions
3a Let foot off pedal and start car. Be sure that you do no turn ignition off because that will void the reset
3b Let foot off pedal and turn ignition off.

I can't say if it works but worth a try?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Is it the engine that produce the jerk (changing between engine braking and power)? I'm not sure if the triptronic (with torque converter) was available 2013. Do you think it is an "S-tronic" (dual clutch)?
If it is an S-tronic and if it is the clutches that produce the jerk it might help to reset the self adjustment that I have read other poster have described:
1 Put your key in the ignition and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine!)
2 Hold down the gas pedal pressing the button under the pedal for at least 20 seconds.
For nr 3 there are different opinions
3a Let foot off pedal and start car. Be sure that you do no turn ignition off because that will void the reset
3b Let foot off pedal and turn ignition off.

I can't say if it works but worth a try?
Well I know it is an 8 speed auto transmission. I'm not sure if that is s-tronic.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The 8-speed is a Tiptronic. I don't know anything about it, sorry.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The ZF 6spd and 8spd are classified by Audi as no-service (lifetime, ie 120k miles in Audi lingo), so no reason to expect the fluid to be changed. If you plan on keeping it a long time, it might be best to forget Audi's position and change the fluid. ZF says to do it every 60k miles or 8yrs, apparently:
https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html
That said, my 6spd is still hanging on (though I can easily tell it's not operating "like new") at 169k miles with no servicing so far.

S-tronic refers to the dual clutch transmission; it's a completely different transmission from the "Tiptronic" ZF 8spd that you have.

If the 1-2 upshift and downshift are rough, then maybe it's the device (synchro?) inside that assists that transition. You say "jerks quite a bit". Like there's one jerk motion during the shift? Or once it's in 1st, it's jerking back and forth like a stalling engine?

I have no idea what it might be; just some thoughts on the topic. I have no idea if a dealership would even know how to check the fluid level in the tranny. Maybe you have a leak and it's getting low. But taking it on a drive and replicating the issue in person who does this for a living would be your most informative next step.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
The ZF 6spd and 8spd are classified by Audi as no-service (lifetime, ie 120k miles in Audi lingo), so no reason to expect the fluid to be changed. If you plan on keeping it a long time, it might be best to forget Audi's position and change the fluid. ZF says to do it every 60k miles or 8yrs, apparently:
https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html
That said, my 6spd is still hanging on (though I can easily tell it's not operating "like new") at 169k miles with no servicing so far.

S-tronic refers to the dual clutch transmission; it's a completely different transmission from the "Tiptronic" ZF 8spd that you have.

If the 1-2 upshift and downshift are rough, then maybe it's the device (synchro?) inside that assists that transition. You say "jerks quite a bit". Like there's one jerk motion during the shift? Or once it's in 1st, it's jerking back and forth like a stalling engine?

I have no idea what it might be; just some thoughts on the topic. I have no idea if a dealership would even know how to check the fluid level in the tranny. Maybe you have a leak and it's getting low. But taking it on a drive and replicating the issue in person who does this for a living would be your most informative next step.
Well, it's not like the car violently shakes or is rough when this happens. It almost feels like something is slipping when the gears are changing between 2-1,000 rpm's when the car is slowing down or, often, I'm in stop and go traffic (mostly city driving).
Old 06-16-2018, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone else?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by net1994
Anyone else?
I was able to recreate the problem by accelerating hard and then quickly decelerating. Seems like a Speed Controller problem where the car is prepping to open up but instead you decelerate rapidly.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Depthcharge
I was able to recreate the problem by accelerating hard and then quickly decelerating. Seems like a Speed Controller problem where the car is prepping to open up but instead you decelerate rapidly.
So would you say this is a 'problem' with my car? Or something needing adjustment? Or is this normal and I have to get used to it?

Quick Reply: Rough down shift when coming to a stop?