A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

S line designation: cosmetic, functional, both?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S line designation: cosmetic, functional, both?

After an exhaustive search, i cannot find a consensus about the S-line package on the A4. I am looking at a used 2012 A4 that has an S-line badge on the side, it also has 18in wheel, etc. what i really care about is a sports suspension that would improve handling. the dealer unfortunately does not know.

so does S-line simply entail cosmetic upgrades, or are there different versions that include performance upgrades as well, or do they all include cosmetic and performance upgrades?

thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

"S-line" can mean different things: cosmetic, stiffer chassis or both.
"S-line" can be cosmetic exterior, interior.
I don't know about other markets but in Europe there are several "sport chassis" available. Check the option codes on the label under hood or first page in the service booklet:

1BE= Sport chassis (lowered about 20mm).
1BV= S-line Sport chassis (in Europe lowered about 30mm, In NA I think it is 20mm).
1BL= Adaptive suspension (ADS option).

These use different dimension of rear anti-roll bar, so I assume that S-line Sport chassis is stiffer also in NA although not lowered as much as in Europe.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the US, for 2015, S-Line is strictly cosmetic. for $1250 you get:

Alcantara/leather S line sport seats; Aluminum shift ****; Black diffuser surround and mirror housings; S line emblems on steering wheel; Brilliant black door sill blades (beneath doors); Piano black inlays.

Nothing here to add to handling or HP.

That being said, I liked the look, and opted for the package on my car.

If you are looking for some handling enhancement, go for the basic "Sports Package", which gets you the -20mm lowering (and some other non-performance adds) for $1000
and the "sports plus" package that adds 19" wheels and 255-35 rubber for another $1500

Audi did a great job with the lowering package in designing the front bodywork to be high enough when the car is lowered so that it clears most parking lot barrier curbs, and I'm not constantly scraping on hilly driveways, unlike my previous factory lowered car
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I believe all 2012 Premium Plus A4's have the exterior S-Line package. Supposedly a different front and rear bumper and the side blades. Also, the aluminum door sills on all 4 doors.

Unless you have the real S-Line, which includes sport suspension, alcantara seating and 3 spoke wheel.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The early year B8 A4's with S-line were not just cosmetic. But Audi confused the issue by giving the later year cars S-line exterior without the other goodies. So there are full S line cars out there with the sport suspension, Alcantara seats, s-line steering wheel and the diluted or watered down (cosmetic) version. Seats and ride height should be easiest giveaways.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

On the 2012s, s-line is all cosmetic unless it has the 3-spoke steering wheel.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vdubtx
I believe all 2012 Premium Plus A4's have the exterior S-Line package. Supposedly a different front and rear bumper and the side blades. Also, the aluminum door sills on all 4 doors.

Unless you have the real S-Line, which includes sport suspension, alcantara seating and 3 spoke wheel.
Where is all the talk about a "real s-line" coming from? Are we confusing the S4 with the A4 S-line? I can find nothing anywhere that ties the s-line to suspension mods. Does anyone have a photo of a Munroney or a reputable source reference for an earlier model year describing the s-line options?

I know for an absolute fact that current A4 s-line packages do not include any suspension tweaks, and I have never seen a 2012 A4 with exterior s-line badging provided by the factory.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2011 Avant - North American has the " 18" Sport Package" This includes:
18" Sport Wheels - Hi Perf Summer tires
3 Spoke steering wheel (no "Audi Sport" badge)
Shift Paddles
Sport front Seats (no Alcantra inserts)
Sport Suspension - 20mm lower
- This is how it was listed on sticker

I believe the S-Line package is more cosmetics, as stated previously.
For higher performance (power and braking), you need to go to an S4. ...or aftermarket - chips, etc.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
The early year B8 A4's with S-line were not just cosmetic. But Audi confused the issue by giving the later year cars S-line exterior without the other goodies. So there are full S line cars out there with the sport suspension, Alcantara seats, s-line steering wheel and the diluted or watered down (cosmetic) version. Seats and ride height should be easiest giveaways.
Thanks an excellent-looking Avant. Really well done. And I'm fussy as h*ll.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Where is all the talk about a "real s-line" coming from? Are we confusing the S4 with the A4 S-line? I can find nothing anywhere that ties the s-line to suspension mods. Does anyone have a photo of a Munroney or a reputable source reference for an earlier model year describing the s-line options?

I know for an absolute fact that current A4 s-line packages do not include any suspension tweaks, and I have never seen a 2012 A4 with exterior s-line badging provided by the factory.
You want a Munroney sticker, here's mine (2009):

Originally Posted by roger_1
Thanks an excellent-looking Avant. Really well done. And I'm fussy as h*ll.
Thanks for the compliment! It means a lot coming from someone with similarly high standards.

Quick Reply: S line designation: cosmetic, functional, both?