A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is The Stasis ECU Engine Software Worth $1200?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is The Stasis ECU Engine Software Worth $1200?

I was considering getting the Stasis ECU engine software but I was a little deterred by the $1200 price tag. Does anyone out there have it? Is it worth it?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's worth the peace of mind that the car is covered under Stasis 'warranty'.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Strokera4
I was considering getting the Stasis ECU engine software but I was a little deterred by the $1200 price tag. Does anyone out there have it? Is it worth it?
I say it's not worth it, but I'm a risk taker to begin with. I went with APR and have (luckily) had no ECU-related issues...yet.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Strokera4
I was quoted an additional $250 by my dealership to install the tune (which all they do is remove the ECU and mail it to Stasis).

I went with the $599 APR. The only reason to go with Stasis is if your worried about the warranty. Switch your APR tune back to stock mode (which you can't do with Stasis) and set the dealer lock out there is no way for them to know it's there.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whats a warranty worth? How much does a new engine cost? What about the cost of an ECU? One warranty claim that is paid by the warranty and the extra money spent would more than likely cover the cost of the difference between Stasis and ANY OTHER Tuner.

Case in point; a recent valve failure in the intake manifold required a new manifold. I don't know what the manifold costs since it is a warranty item it doesn't show cost on the RO but I'm sure that it cover the extra $400-$600. If the dealer decides that the increased boost of a tune caused it, then I would have had to pay it. Would APR or another tuner cover the repair? Stasis does when the dealer decides that it is a Stasis related issue. I've seen the billing and the dealer bills Stasis directly for any work outside of normal warranty repairs that are related to Stasis parts installed.

When the ECU crashed and locked up all the systems in the car it caused a nightmare that took 6 weeks to solve. All the computers on the BUS went into "theft mode" assuming that the bad signal they got was from stolen parts and thus locking them all. GIAC/Stasis/Audi dealer worked like crazy to figure out what had happened and how to resolve it. Garret of GIAC and Stasis' engineers worked closely with the dealership and the ECU was sent back and forth and eventually they had to all get together at the dealership and flash everything back to stock and start over. During that 6 week time I had an A6 Avant loaner. Stasis and the Stevens Creek Audi were great at communicating during the process and everything was comped as well as gift certs for other gear. Would another APR or another tuner have the time/patience/resources/relationship with the dealers to work through and resolve the issue while making sure that I was not overly inconvenienced by the SNAFU? If a company is adding a feature that "locks out" the dealer, that doesn't bode well for the relationship with the dealers... And don't think for a minute that their tune is undetectable. Many techs have used APR and can duplicate the sequence to at least blink the light showing that there is a non oem coding present. The point is that things can go wrong and when they do, who can you turn to and how do they respond?

Here is another bit of info that I got from my service manager. AudiNA has instructed the dealers to reflash the ECU to stock before trying to diagnose ANY issues that are believed to be ECU related. For Stasis owners, this means that the dealer will flash to stock, effect repairs, then ship the ECU to GIAC for the Stasis ECU tune re-flash. What do you do when you take your car in for a warranty issue and you get your car back and the APR flash is gone? Does APR re-flash it for free for you? And whatever you do, don't take your car in to the dealer and forget to put your tune in stock and "lock out" mode. I know a guy that just lost the warranty on his new BMW 135 when he took it in to the dealership for sunroof problems and had forgotten to remove the "hidden" JuiceBox. When he went to pick it up, they informed him that they had discovered the JuiceBox and had contacted BMW NA and had been informed that the remainder of his engine/electrical warranty was void. Over 40k miles of warranty gone because he forgot to unplug a small box and pocket it... He dumped the car on ebay since the dealer wouldn't even touch it on a trade in. Food for thought.

NickZag, which dealer quoted you $1200 + $250 install? I have seen them for $995 + install.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing APR or any other tuner. I had my mods lined up at purchase so warranty maintenance was very important to me. If my Audi was not under warranty, I would have probably gone with MTM for a little more top end HP and given up a little torque over the Stasis tune. Although I did look at APR and must say that the ability to have multiple programs is mighty nice....Street/Track/Valet sounds great.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Whats a warranty worth? How much does a new engine cost? What about the cost of an ECU?
$1,500 + Labor.

One warranty claim that is paid by the warranty and the extra money spent would more than likely cover the cost of the difference between Stasis and ANY OTHER Tuner.
See above.

Case in point; a recent valve failure in the intake manifold required a new manifold. I don't know what the manifold costs since it is a warranty item it doesn't show cost on the RO but I'm sure that it cover the extra $400-$600.
I just read in the October Audi Driver (UK Mag) that the new TFSI engine has had problems with valve float. It goes on to mention that some of the 'engine tuners' have been able to mitigate the issue with changing the timing. Weird that we haven't heard anything about this in the NA market.

If the dealer decides that the increased boost of a tune caused it, then I would have had to pay it. Would APR or another tuner cover the repair?
Nope - ask me how I know.

Stasis does when the dealer decides that it is a Stasis related issue. I've seen the billing and the dealer bills Stasis directly for any work outside of normal warranty repairs that are related to Stasis parts installed.
Good to know that the Stasis 'warranty' works.

When the ECU crashed and locked up all the systems in the car it caused a nightmare that took 6 weeks to solve. All the computers on the BUS went into "theft mode" assuming that the bad signal they got was from stolen parts and thus locking them all. GIAC/Stasis/Audi dealer worked like crazy to figure out what had happened and how to resolve it. Garret of GIAC and Stasis' engineers worked closely with the dealership and the ECU was sent back and forth and eventually they had to all get together at the dealership and flash everything back to stock and start over. During that 6 week time I had an A6 Avant loaner. Stasis and the Stevens Creek Audi were great at communicating during the process and everything was comped as well as gift certs for other gear. Would another APR or another tuner have the time/patience/resources/relationship with the dealers to work through and resolve the issue while making sure that I was not overly inconvenienced by the SNAFU? If a company is adding a feature that "locks out" the dealer, that doesn't bode well for the relationship with the dealers... And don't think for a minute that their tune is undetectable. Many techs have used APR and can duplicate the sequence to at least blink the light showing that there is a non oem coding present. The point is that things can go wrong and when they do, who can you turn to and how do they respond?
Exactly. Either you takes your chances and you pays your money (I did) or you pay more now with Stasis and have no issues if anything happens.

Here is another bit of info that I got from my service manager. AudiNA has instructed the dealers to reflash the ECU to stock before trying to diagnose ANY issues that are believed to be ECU related. For Stasis owners, this means that the dealer will flash to stock, effect repairs, then ship the ECU to GIAC for the Stasis ECU tune re-flash. What do you do when you take your car in for a warranty issue and you get your car back and the APR flash is gone? Does APR re-flash it for free for you? And whatever you do, don't take your car in to the dealer and forget to put your tune in stock and "lock out" mode. I know a guy that just lost the warranty on his new BMW 135 when he took it in to the dealership for sunroof problems and had forgotten to remove the "hidden" JuiceBox. When he went to pick it up, they informed him that they had discovered the JuiceBox and had contacted BMW NA and had been informed that the remainder of his engine/electrical warranty was void. Over 40k miles of warranty gone because he forgot to unplug a small box and pocket it... He dumped the car on ebay since the dealer wouldn't even touch it on a trade in. Food for thought.

NickZag, which dealer quoted you $1200 + $250 install? I have seen them for $995 + install.
Yeah, I experienced that - except my ECU was literally fried. The dealer had to get a NEW ECU in order to start from scratch - guess what? APR didn't cover that, nor did the 'APR Dealer' that did the shiite install (NGP Racing in NoVa).

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 12-12-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

What do you do when you take your car in for a warranty issue and you get your car back and the APR flash is gone? Does APR re-flash it for free for you?
Yes

And whatever you do, don't take your car in to the dealer and forget to put your tune in stock and "lock out" mode
That's totally hit or miss depending on the dealership. If you go to a dealership which is tuner-friendly, they won't look twice. Trust me, I've done it on more than one occasion with more than one dealer.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Yeah, I experienced that - except my ECU was literally fried. The dealer had to get a NEW ECU in order to start from scratch - guess what? APR didn't cover that, nor did the 'APR Dealer' that did the shiite install (NGP Racing in NoVa).
I remember your posts about a fried ECU some months back. However, you indicated that you had not flashed the ECU and made it seem like you were being falsely accused by the dealer in their attempt to deny a warranty claim. It sounds like fault may lie with APR and their dealer, not with Audi.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Whats a warranty worth? How much does a new engine cost? What about the cost of an ECU? One warranty claim that is paid by the warranty and the extra money spent would more than likely cover the cost of the difference between Stasis and ANY OTHER Tuner.

Case in point; a recent valve failure in the intake manifold required a new manifold. I don't know what the manifold costs since it is a warranty item it doesn't show cost on the RO but I'm sure that it cover the extra $400-$600. If the dealer decides that the increased boost of a tune caused it, then I would have had to pay it. Would APR or another tuner cover the repair? Stasis does when the dealer decides that it is a Stasis related issue. I've seen the billing and the dealer bills Stasis directly for any work outside of normal warranty repairs that are related to Stasis parts installed.

Neillo Audi in Sacramento.

Quick Reply: Is The Stasis ECU Engine Software Worth $1200?