A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Steering stiffness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stiffness?

Hello guys, new member here! I recently purchased a 2011 A4 quattro and I'm in love with this beautiful car, I've also discovered one of my first problems on the car. Whenever I'm going through a parking lot my car makes a thunk noise when I turn the wheel. I've had this happen on other cars, sometimes being the strut top mount being worn. What I find weird is that if I'm cruising along the highway I have a small angle that the steering wheel turns relatively easily, but trying to go farther than that angle of steering feels like I'm hitting a wall. After turning the steering wheel around 1 inch circumferentially I have to put much more effort into turning the wheel, thus making it feel like I'm hitting a soft wall.

Any help or input would be apreciated!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't think anyone can e-diagnose the issue, but I can tell you I have an '11 A4 that had similar symptoms about a week ago.
I brought it in and the steering shaft needed to be replaced. I was told that since that part is relatively exposed over time it can get bound up and cause you to feel tightness when steering. prior to the fix mine felt almost like the power steering wasn't working.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's a good description, that the power steering feels inactive at times. I have enough fluid so i know that isn't the issue. I'm bringing it to a german focused garage as they may have seen the issue before. I'll update as soon as i have news
Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue in my 2009 Audi A4 b8.. it was the steering shaft. Spray seafoam deep seep everyday 3 days in a row. Let it seep, It's now smooth as butter. Was gonna change the shaft, quoted $1060 Canadian. Saved by a bottle of $12.99 lubricant. $660 for the part $400 for labour
The following users liked this post:
bkellywood (11-17-2019)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by andliu
Same issue in my 2009 Audi A4 b8.. it was the steering shaft. Spray seafoam deep seep everyday 3 days in a row. Let it seep, It's now smooth as butter. Was gonna change the shaft, quoted $1060 Canadian. Saved by a bottle of $12.99 lubricant. $660 for the part $400 for labour
By spraying deep creep do you mean with the boot taken off and directly into the rack?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattwarpayne
By spraying deep creep do you mean with the boot taken off and directly into the rack?
I don't think there is a boot; that is the problem. The issue is the U-joint in the steering shaft, not the rack. Get under the car and you will see it.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:11 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's called the intermediate steering shaft and it has an exposed universal joint that can become stiff. Others have found spraying it with lubricant has resolved the issue. Drop the plastic belly pan and follow the steering shaft that comes through the firewall...you will see the U joint. Mine has not been a problem. I spray it and other parts subject to corrosion, etc with a lubicant/protectant called Fluid Film...great stuff.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jfo
It's called the intermediate steering shaft and it has an exposed universal joint that can become stiff. Others have found spraying it with lubricant has resolved the issue. Drop the plastic belly pan and follow the steering shaft that comes through the firewall...you will see the U joint. Mine has not been a problem. I spray it and other parts subject to corrosion, etc with a lubicant/protectant called Fluid Film...great stuff.
Bought a can of deep creep penetrant and been soaking it for a few days but what a difference it makes! It seems like an exposed U-joint is a bad enough idea and they put it in anyway. By turning my wheel and laying on my back I can get to the steering linkage without taking anything off so I'll simply treat it as routine maintenance from now. I've replaced a steering shaft in my mother's Hyundai and am very relieved that I won't have to pay someone to perform the same operation to my quattro. Cheers
Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you figured it out, sorry for the late reply. Was away from the computer. Deep Creep is some good stuff. Been spraying joints every month thats prone to rust.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello guys,

I've also faced this steering issue for a while now. I have a quattro A4 2011; the car was diagnosed by the dealer and they say it's the improved intermediate steering shaft. I asked about lubricating it, but they say it's not possible. However, I do not hear weird noises when I turn the steering wheel. I just feel the increased stiffness at higher speeds and especially on a highway. Should I try lubricating it or consider replacement? And are there any mechanics who can do this service other than the dealer?

Quick Reply: Steering stiffness?