A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Stereo connection upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo connection upgrades

Hi all,

I am the proud new owner (most expensive car I’ve bought to date!) of a 2010 A4 B8, which has the Chorus stereo (photo attached). I’m looking around to see what adapters (if any) I can fit to get aux, or preferably Bluetooth, connectivity for my iPhone. I don’t necessarily want full control over the phone, but music streaming instead of just calls is the plan.

There seems to be a lot of info out there, but most of it is confusing for the newbie.

It seems that having the Media button on he chorus is better than the CD one, and mine has the Media button. No armrest aux, nor glovebox plug.

A piston heads post linked to a site (FISCON Bluetooth Freisprecheinrichtung) that suggests this company’s products do not work with my unit. However, Connects2 product (Connects2 Ltd) for aux connectivity specifically lists the chorus as compatible.

Does this mean mean I am limited to aux input only for this stereo?

Additionally, could I just replace the stereo unit entirely for a pioneer/Sony/kenwood etc. DIN unit? Do the connections allow this, or are they proprietary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this seems to be an unnnecessary minefield!

Best wishes,

Curtis.

P.S. The piston heads post also suggested signing up to my.audi.com for detailed specs, which I have just done but apparently need to wait for my local dealer to confirm before getting access to them. Also, the car is with my father having a few things repaired before I’m let loose with it, so if I need to provide more details of connections (photos of the back of the unit for example) then let me know and I’ll ask him to send me some.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

It appears the Chorus 3 head unit doesn't have the Aux input enabled.

Thread talks about trying to enable the Aux input using VCDS, but it doesn't conclude with anything solid.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...i-RADIO-CHORUS

Adding Bluetooth seems simple, if the Aux input pins are active.
https://www.spiralaudio.com/index.ph...roduct_id=1482

But you could just as well yank the unit and replace it with an aftermarket DIN solution.
https://www.spiralaudio.com/index.ph...145&filter=114

Not sure what cabling solutions exist for replacing a Chorus 3 with an aftermarket. Notice that Car and Setup buttons; you'd likely lose that interaction, and that might not be a good thing.

Nice vid on removal of the Chorus 3. Notice it has the CD button.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Njy69qKow
When he pulls it out, we see it has the dual RF antenna plug, then two plugs in the connection block. The 8-pin orange plug is for the speakers (FL, FR, RL, RR, there's two speakers at each location).
The other plug is for 12V and ground (large wires), and the CAN bus connection (two smaller orange wires). But the video shows another wire pair on that block, the green and white small wires. Not sure what those might be.
The Aux in would be three wires on the horizontal 12 pin block that would be below the vertical orange speaker out block. Notice the aftermarket Bluetooth adapters have a 12-pin block on them; that's where it would plug in. But without the radio configured to be aware of that input, ....
But what's the point of the Media button if you have neither the AMI interface in the glove box or the Aux interface under the elbow rest? If you press Media, does it go to any other source except the CD player?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You might check with Christian at EnfigCarStereo.com. He hosts a car stereo thread over at the Audizine Forums and seems to know everything about Audi sound systems and upgrading them. He's great to work with.