A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Stiff Steering Low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Steering Low speeds

I recently purchased an Audi 09 A4 2.0 t car did not run when I got it I had to have a rebuilt motor put in got the car back was running fine now I notice the steering is stiffening up at low speeds I understand that the steering gets differ like on a highway but this is stiff when I am almost at a standstill sometimes it's free and sometimes it's stiff also I notice sometimes when I go around the turn my steering wheel does not always return to Center can somebody tell me what's going on with this and if or if not this car has several tronic steering
Old 08-17-2017, 05:01 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulie710
I recently purchased an Audi 09 A4 2.0 t car did not run when I got it I had to have a rebuilt motor put in got the car back was running fine now I notice the steering is stiffening up at low speeds I understand that the steering gets differ like on a highway but this is stiff when I am almost at a standstill sometimes it's free and sometimes it's stiff also I notice sometimes when I go around the turn my steering wheel does not always return to Center can somebody tell me what's going on with this and if or if not this car has several tronic steering
It sounds like the intermediate steering shaft. The U joint can become stiff as you describe. Often just hitting the U joint with some lubricant will fix it.You can see the joint on the steering shaft that comes through the firewall.

edit: Please learn to use punctuation!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfo

edit: Please learn to use punctuation!
Amen!
Johan

Last edited by Uwon; 08-18-2017 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Correction