A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Sudden Stiff Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Stiff Steering

Hi Guys - I have a 2013 A4 P+ that just hit 40k miles. A few days ago I noticed the steering stiffen up all of a sudden. Especially at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Outside of those position, it seems normal smoothness. Seems to be worse right after a cold start of the car. If I drive it maybe 3 or 4 hours later, it's not as bad but still noticeable. I scanned for any fault codes and nothing. I'm not hearing any abnormal sounds in or outside of the car. (If it matters, It hasn't been abnormally cold here in the Boston area. I'd say in the 30-40's the last week before it happened until today. A few months ago for a 3 week stretch, it was at/below zero and never had issues then.) Any ideas?

I did find this TSB describing what could be the issue: Stiff Steering TSB

I'm not mechanically inclined, don't have car jacks to put it up on, so if you can think of anything to avoid hundreds++++ to fix this, let me know. Is this normal on a car with just 40k miles? Oh, and of course the car is out of warranty!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Steering shaft lubrication

Originally Posted by net1994
Hi Guys - I have a 2013 A4 P+ that just hit 40k miles. A few days ago I noticed the steering stiffen up all of a sudden. Especially at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Outside of those position, it seems normal smoothness. Seems to be worse right after a cold start of the car. If I drive it maybe 3 or 4 hours later, it's not as bad but still noticeable. I scanned for any fault codes and nothing. I'm not hearing any abnormal sounds in or outside of the car. (If it matters, It hasn't been abnormally cold here in the Boston area. I'd say in the 30-40's the last week before it happened until today. A few months ago for a 3 week stretch, it was at/below zero and never had issues then.) Any ideas?

I did find this TSB describing what could be the issue: Stiff Steering TSB

I'm not mechanically inclined, don't have car jacks to put it up on, so if you can think of anything to avoid hundreds++++ to fix this, let me know. Is this normal on a car with just 40k miles? Oh, and of course the car is out of warranty!
Read previous discussion here for answers. Good place to start is to lub the 2 ujoints on the steering shaft.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

How hard is it to lube the U joints? I went to go check the power steering fluid, and didn't find the reservoir so I guess I have electric power steering?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Easiest way is to put car on a lift. Recommend you read previous discussion for more details.
;
Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this problem when I bought my Audi in 2016. I cleaned(BrakeKlean) and lubed it(silicone lube) and the problem went away. Returned last summer and no amount of cleaning and lube would fix it. Steering was so stiff I had to force the wheel back to center after turning.
I did a lot of research and found another culprit is dirty steering fluid. Mine looked perfectly clean(translucent green) so I was doubtful.
I drained the reservoir with a turkey baster and refilled with new fluid. Jacked the car and turned wheel lock to lock about 50 times. The next day it was a little better. I repeated this process over the next week about 5 times and the steering gradually returned to normal.

Now I drain the reservoir and refill every time I change the engine oil.

FYI, the dealer often diagnoses this as a faulty rack. They replace the rack and everything is good...but they also change the fluid in the process.
The following users liked this post:
Meek MxMnisi (02-06-2021)
Old 03-26-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by treilley
I had this problem when I bought my Audi in 2016. I cleaned(BrakeKlean) and lubed it(silicone lube) and the problem went away. Returned last summer and no amount of cleaning and lube would fix it. Steering was so stiff I had to force the wheel back to center after turning.
I did a lot of research and found another culprit is dirty steering fluid. Mine looked perfectly clean(translucent green) so I was doubtful.
I drained the reservoir with a turkey baster and refilled with new fluid. Jacked the car and turned wheel lock to lock about 50 times. The next day it was a little better. I repeated this process over the next week about 5 times and the steering gradually returned to normal.

Now I drain the reservoir and refill every time I change the engine oil.

FYI, the dealer often diagnoses this as a faulty rack. They replace the rack and everything is good...but they also change the fluid in the process.
I'm pretty sure I have electronic steering (see pic above if this confirms it). Maybe. So no steering fluid I think-could be wrong.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just spoke to my mechanic and he says it's best idea to replace the u-joint(s). He said that what's probably happening is that it's rusting out so even if you put grease on it, it will just get worse and when the rust comes off it will lossen the steering up and could get dangerous. If the u-joint needs to be replaced, about how many hours would that take assuming no problems doing it?

Last edited by net1994; 03-26-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by net1994
I'm pretty sure I have electronic steering (see pic above if this confirms it). Maybe. So no steering fluid I think-could be wrong.
Yup, looked at the photo this time. No reservoir.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default same issue

Following this thread! I have a 2015 Audi A5 which I am just having the same issue with that started a few days ago.
Mine is electronic steering as well. Hoping this is a minor thing! My A5 only just hit 40k
Old 06-03-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update.

Back in February, I had the U-Joint replaced. The teeth on it were degrading, causing the stiffening. I could of spent another $100 for my mechanic to grease it up again and get a few more months of it to 'work.' But it was just delaying the inevitable. So I ponied up the $600 for them to replace the whole shaft. It is the first dangerous issue I've ever had with any car I've had where just putting a band aid, could of still caused a serious accident. Can't do that...

Quick Reply: Sudden Stiff Steering