AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   Sunvisors Broke...You kiddin me? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/sunvisors-broke-you-kiddin-me-2793611/)

markinarch 10-30-2010 04:48 PM

Sunvisors Broke...You kiddin me?

2 Attachment(s)
Driving home after an outing to the movie theatre, my girlfriend was putting the sunvisor back into its normal locked position and the little clasp that holds it in place shears off. We get home and try and figure out what happened and how the clasp is attached to the roof liner so we look at the one on my side. When I put it back in its locked position the clasp on that one breaks too!! Is this a joke!? both broke within 5 minutes of each other caused by two different people! Its not like this was the first time I have used my sunvisor so I don't think it could be 'user error'. I called my dealership and they were pretty surprised. They are going to get back to me Monday after they talk to the service department. Anyone have this problem before? Is something like this covered under warranty? I don't want to pay money out of my pocket for something as ridiculous as that. Comments?!?!

Sourdough Josh 10-30-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by markinarch (Post 24054471)
Driving home after an outing to the movie theatre, my girlfriend was putting the sunvisor back into its normal locked position and the little clasp that holds it in place shears off. We get home and try and figure out what happened and how the clasp is attached to the roof liner so we look at the one on my side. When I put it back in its locked position the clasp on that one breaks too!! Is this a joke!? both broke within 5 minutes of each other caused by two different people! Its not like this was the first time I have used my sunvisor so I don't think it could be 'user error'. I called my dealership and they were pretty surprised. They are going to get back to me Monday after they talk to the service department. Anyone have this problem before? Is something like this covered under warranty? I don't want to pay money out of my pocket for something as ridiculous as that. Comments?!?!

Wow. That's a little surprising, but I can't imagine it not being covered under warranty. (Okay, I can probably imagine it). Still, I have had many plastic pieces break in my vehicles (especially clasps holding things like visors and panels in place), and they have always been fixed by the dealers for free.

Good luck, and keep us posted! Maybe a bad batch of clips?

trlyka 10-30-2010 06:17 PM

Note to self....-Don't remove sun visor from it's clip-:rolleyes:

I don't think you should worry about it being covered under warranty. What we should worry about is if Audi is cutting corners and not using quality materials :confused:

Good luck.

jdong 10-30-2010 07:01 PM

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...breakable.html

Sadly doesn't look like you're alone!

markinarch 10-30-2010 07:15 PM

Well its good to know that it will probably be covered under warranty. Still bothers me that both broke..especially the second one as I was being careful with it. Once it gets fixed I am not taking it out of position again! Good thing I have good sunglasses. I'll let ya know more Monday. Thanks for the responses.

Heresy64 10-31-2010 07:44 PM

Same thing happened to me. One of my kids pulled the visor out of the clip and it snapped. My dealer did replace it, but warned me that they probably wouldn't replace another one. The service manager instructed me to grasp the visor at the leading edge and pull straight back, not at a downward angle. So far the new clip has held.

It does seem odd that the visor clip in a $40k-plus car is so fragile. I've never had this kind of problem with any other car I've owned.

The Dr. of Fart 10-31-2010 07:51 PM

That is weird. How long have you had the car? Or does it sit in the sun all day long? Maybe something weakened the plastic??

Maybe your girlfriend is just really really ridiculously strong?

sillyuser 11-01-2010 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by markinarch (Post 24054471)
Anyone have this problem before? Is something like this covered under warranty? I don't want to pay money out of my pocket for something as ridiculous as that. Comments?!?!

Mine broke too (first ever in any car I've owned). The dealership refused to change it saying items like these are covered for 6 months only(?), and it was about 9 months into ownership.

I didn't have time to bother wasting time with this BS (plus a trip to the dealer is 1:30 for me) so just bought the part and changed it myself. It's expensive - they charged me $30+ for an f***ing piece of plastic.

Turbo Freak 11-01-2010 08:04 AM

Same thing happened to me, now I put my thumb on the hook and push it as I pull the visor. This puts less stress on it.

It was replaced free of charge...

markinarch 11-01-2010 10:02 AM

Update on sunvisor:
Service department called and told me that it will be covered so I'm going to take it in tomorrow. They have to fix my driver's side window because the auto up/down still isn't working properly after I took it in about a month ago. Hopefully they will give me an S4 loaner like someone else had posted they got :)

In response to other questions asked: The car just turned 3 months yesterday. The car is out in the sun most of the day when I'm at work and then it is covered back home. It is possible that my girlfriend may be really really, really riduculously strong (and good looking -Zoolander). The pieces actually broke when we were putting the visors back in and not pulling them out.

New Development:
Driving down the highway yesterday an S-Class Mercedes kicked up what I am calling 'sledge-hammer rock' because thats what it sounded like when it SLAMMED INTO MY HOOD! I know the first scratch or dent is hard to bear, but I got both of them at the same time. The scratch goes down to the metal and is about half an inch long. ERRRR. I'm going to try that Langka stuff. I let you know how that works... In the meantime - I hate mercedes.