A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Tail light led

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light led

Hi everyone

I recently notice that 2 of the led of my tail light from my A4 went out. I was wondering If the dealer would fix it under warranty or would I have to replace the led myself? If they do fix it under warranty would they replace the whole tail light or just the led?
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is under warranty, they will replace the entire assembly free of charge.

It is a shame that individual LED's are not replaceable, because they cost fifteen cents. The manufacturers have convinced the regulators that field replacement of individual components is not possible because ordinary workshop tools cannot do it, and as a safety item the life of the repaired unit would be compromised. There is also a cosmetic problem. LED's vary in actual color and are sorted into groups so your taillight has the same color and brightness.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
If your car is under warranty, they will replace the entire assembly free of charge.

It is a shame that individual LED's are not replaceable, because they cost fifteen cents. The manufacturers have convinced the regulators that field replacement of individual components is not possible because ordinary workshop tools cannot do it, and as a safety item the life of the repaired unit would be compromised. There is also a cosmetic problem. LED's vary in actual color and are sorted into groups so your taillight has the same color and brightness.
Thank you very much, I am still under warranty. I wish they changed the led by itself because even tho is free to replace the whole tail light now I have to get them tinted back again other wise I would have 2 different color tail light. Either way I have to spend money thank you again for the info.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Save the old light for spare leds in the future.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Save the old light for spare leds in the future.
I doubt they would give me the old tail light once they replace it.