A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Thinking of buying 2009 A4 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying 2009 A4 2.0T

New to this site thanks for looking.

I'm currently researching buying a 2009 A4 with the 2.0T. I had a 2005 VW jetta a while back but sold it because it was only front wheel drive and I didn't need to travel far for work until recently. I'm tired of driving the truck back and forth to work (actually I'm not, but I'm tired of bending over at the diesel pumps when I fill up) I need something with AWD for the winter time. I like that in 2009 they started putting a timing chain instead of timing belt. Is there anything else in particular I should be looking for. I've heard some pro's and con's on the newer Audi's but would like to hear the opinions of those that own them. I'm not wanting to hear anyone complain about their dealership screwing them over, I'm talking about the car itself and what you like or dis-like about it.

Point of reference: I'm looking at a 2009 2.0T certified pre-owned with the Prestige package and automatic transmission.

Thanks much
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaskangrown
New to this site thanks for looking.

I'm currently researching buying a 2009 A4 with the 2.0T. I had a 2005 VW jetta a while back but sold it because it was only front wheel drive and I didn't need to travel far for work until recently. I'm tired of driving the truck back and forth to work (actually I'm not, but I'm tired of bending over at the diesel pumps when I fill up) I need something with AWD for the winter time. I like that in 2009 they started putting a timing chain instead of timing belt. Is there anything else in particular I should be looking for. I've heard some pro's and con's on the newer Audi's but would like to hear the opinions of those that own them. I'm not wanting to hear anyone complain about their dealership screwing them over, I'm talking about the car itself and what you like or dis-like about it.

Point of reference: I'm looking at a 2009 2.0T certified pre-owned with the Prestige package and automatic transmission.

Thanks much
Having one of the first delivered 2009 A4's I can only think of a couple of stand out things to look for. Check and be sure the front upper control arm replacement was performed. All of the 2009's and early 2010's had a steering wheel vibration issue at 60-70 mph due to improper control am bushings. A replacement of the arms under warranty provided a solution.

Also, a less critical issue was 2009's had a poorly designed power steering hose that was too restrictive causing a "chatter" of the steering wheel at very low speed turns on certain surfaces. This was also corrected via replacement of a larger diameter hose assembly.

Other than than the above, the only issue I had was an improperly torqued engine mount bolt causing a "knock" in a slow turn. However, this was probably a one off problem as I saw very little mention of it in the posts.

50K miles and I still love the car.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

like mickey said in rocky 2, what are we waiting for ???
i havent had any issues, other than regular stuff brakes after 40k , but if you get it certified you have nothing to worry about for a while.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

All of the 2009's and early 2010's had a steering wheel vibration issue at 60-70 mph due to improper control am bushings. A replacement of the arms under warranty provided a solution.

What would I be looking for? Is it visably different?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Having one of the first delivered 2009 A4's I can only think of a couple of stand out things to look for. Check and be sure the front upper control arm replacement was performed. All of the 2009's and early 2010's had a steering wheel vibration issue at 60-70 mph due to improper control am bushings. A replacement of the arms under warranty provided a solution.

Also, a less critical issue was 2009's had a poorly designed power steering hose that was too restrictive causing a "chatter" of the steering wheel at very low speed turns on certain surfaces. This was also corrected via replacement of a larger diameter hose assembly.

Other than than the above, the only issue I had was an improperly torqued engine mount bolt causing a "knock" in a slow turn. However, this was probably a one off problem as I saw very little mention of it in the posts.

50K miles and I still love the car.
Is there any visable way to check this? Or just go through service history to see if it's been done. I imagine I'll notice these things. I'll be on the east coast in a month looking to buy a car to drive back to Alaska.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaskangrown
Is there any visable way to check this? Or just go through service history to see if it's been done. I imagine I'll notice these things. I'll be on the east coast in a month looking to buy a car to drive back to Alaska.
Since these would have been warranty repairs, a dealer should be able to pull up the history.