A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Timing Chain and Tensioner Replacement Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain and Tensioner Replacement Costs?

My 2010 A4 Quattro has 91K miles and runs great. Was in for routine service today at my usual shop when they suggested replacing my tensioner and timing chain because I have the 'non-updated' one.

In Googling I noticed quotes are vastly different depending on if the upper and lower covers are replaced, etc.

The quote I was given is as follows, is this a fair quote? It's from a reputable Audi / VW third party shop:

Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

91k seems early for a chain replacement. If you do have the outdated cam chain tensioner, that's a do immediately. But you only need to remove the lower cover iirc for that.

2.0T VW and Audi TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Problems - Deutsche Auto Parts

I had the cam chain and the balancer chain replaced as well as all the tensioners and guides, and it was billed as a 9 hour job. Turned out the problematic tensioner had been replaced, along with the cam bridge (oil screen can come loose), when they did the rings/pistons work. You can't replace the third chain (oil pump chain) without dropping the oil pan, whole lot more work.

Price looks like what I would expect for what they are doing. But why do they think they need to replace the cam chain at all, and if it needs, why not also the balancer chain while it's all open?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
91k seems early for a chain replacement. If you do have the outdated cam chain tensioner, that's a do immediately. But you only need to remove the lower cover iirc for that.

2.0T VW and Audi TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Problems - Deutsche Auto Parts

I had the cam chain and the balancer chain replaced as well as all the tensioners and guides, and it was billed as a 9 hour job. Turned out the problematic tensioner had been replaced, along with the cam bridge (oil screen can come loose), when they did the rings/pistons work. You can't replace the third chain (oil pump chain) without dropping the oil pan, whole lot more work.

Price looks like what I would expect for what they are doing. But why do they think they need to replace the cam chain at all, and if it needs, why not also the balancer chain while it's all open?
Thanks for the information SMac, very useful.

If I held off on the chain replacement per your suggestion and Audi's schedule (listed as 110K replacement), How much is a reasonable price for only performing the updated tensioner replacement? Again, Google is giving a myriad of numbers!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

There is no service interval for the chains. They are a "lifetime" item (which internally means only intended to last 120k miles). The service item you are looking at is only for the TT 2.0T.

The serpentine belt is at 75k and then every 80k. But that's just a check and replace if need be. My idler pulley was loose and I was getting some belt squeal very rarely, so I changed it all at that time since it had to come off anyway.

I'm not a service tech, so can't say. I would imagine the tensioner and belt could be done in a few hours, so whatever the labor rate is you are looking at. The dealership here is $165/hr, so while it's nice to get a loaner when it'll be a few days work. But for only a few hours, you should be able to find much better labor rates.

As for the chains, I was chasing a noise that more likely turned out to be the turbo wastegate. Second time around, I wouldn't bother messing with the chains unless there was a specific issue.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone keeping record, I can confirm that a 2.0 tfsi with engine build date 9/11/2012 has the new style tensioner from factory.

Im going to be checking which cam follower it has for high pressure pump next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Timing Chain and Tensioner Replacement Costs?-img_0465.jpg  
Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Replaced timing chain tensioner and timing chain...now wont start.

Dang. Replaced timing chain and installed new tensioner (vice the old one that failed) on my 2012 A4 B8 with 85K miles. Reassembled per specs with all timing marks correct. Now when i tried to start...nothing. fuel pressure good. Flushed and replaced coolant and refilled ac while i was at it. No clinking, banging or clanging and engine sounds like its should turn over but nothing. Its like theres no ignition happening. HELP.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

has been all overthe National news...vw and audi have chain and tensioner issues costing car owners millions...they should recall, pay for all repairs, or face criminal charges...just like coilpack case or lying to the EPPA on emissions performance...lock the jerks up !!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I got my notice of the Class Action Lawsuit today. My 2011 A4 (Avant :-) ) only has around 50,000 miles... so no issues yet. But, I guess I need to dig into the docs to see if I fix stuff pro-actively, or wait for re-active if something goes wrong.

Btw, I got a oil consumption test a couple of years ago, and the car apparently 'passed'... But now I can't get through a year without a top up. So, I am obviously not taking advantage of these suits/recompenses when they show up.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm still waiting to get the class action notification. Here is the official website: https://www.timingchainlitigation.com/

I'm planning to get the chain and tensioner replaced in the next few months before the engine goes boom.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I'm planning to get the chain and tensioner replaced in the next few months before the engine goes boom.
So, looking at the docs/website, is that even possible? Or can you only make a claim once things go wrong?

Quick Reply: Timing Chain and Tensioner Replacement Costs?