A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

TPMS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Questions

Ok, so I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new A4 (Ibis, Prem +, Manual, 18" Sport, Nav, B&O if you must know) but the way it looks it will probably be ready in January or February. Around here (Rocky Mountains) that means deep winter. I'm using AW posters to research winter tire/rim combos and am grateful for all your posts on the subject. I'm moving from a 2001 A4 Avant so TPMS is all new to me.

1. Must you install TPMS on your winter set and what happens if you don't?
2. Is it an easy install, i.e. can a regular tire shop handle it or do you need to go through an authorized Audi service facility?
3. Can you use your existing TPMS monitors on your summer tires and transfer them over to the winter tires or must they be dedicated for each set?
3.Is there a way to disable the TPMS if I don't care so much about it to save on the hassle of the tire switch?

Any and all insight is appreciated!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. don't know
2. TPMS is an easy install and if you are ordering your tires/wheels (from some place like tire rack) they will be able to do it for a nominal fee of $200-300 for the transmitters.
3. I don't remember if it is a unit that mounts on the rim or is in the valve stem. It would probably be easier just to get another set for your winter rims.
4. don't know
Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BonedaleA4
Ok, so I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new A4 (Ibis, Prem +, Manual, 18" Sport, Nav, B&O if you must know) but the way it looks it will probably be ready in January or February. Around here (Rocky Mountains) that means deep winter. I'm using AW posters to research winter tire/rim combos and am grateful for all your posts on the subject. I'm moving from a 2001 A4 Avant so TPMS is all new to me.

1. Must you install TPMS on your winter set and what happens if you don't?
2. Is it an easy install, i.e. can a regular tire shop handle it or do you need to go through an authorized Audi service facility?
3. Can you use your existing TPMS monitors on your summer tires and transfer them over to the winter tires or must they be dedicated for each set?
3.Is there a way to disable the TPMS if I don't care so much about it to save on the hassle of the tire switch?

Any and all insight is appreciated!
1. No, the instrument cluster will show low tire pressure (warning light).
2 + 3 - You can use the TPMS monitors on your existing wheels, however, tire shop needs to install when mounting.
4. I'm sure there is a code to disable the warning light if you find it annoying. I would ask the dealer.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I picked up my wifes new 2010 A4 last night, and according to the dealer it uses an indirect method of TPMS, no wheel sensers, the abs system measures the diameter of the tires to detect any changes. You use the mmi to reset the system after adjusting tire pressures or swapping rims. I would love to have someone comfirm this.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

this is what I found on tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/TPMSS...r=Premium+Plus
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

can't find edit button........
WARNING! Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.

The original sensors from your original wheels can be used or you may purchase sensors from Tire Rack.
Your system includes:

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$188.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $188.00
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

US and Europe are different.

Some markets demand active sensors (ie: pressure sensors on the wheels) and other can make do with a determination by the ABS system that there is a problems.

US mandates active pressure monitoring.

John.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had seen the warning on Tire Rack about the sensors, while looking for a winter tire package and didn't think twice about it, but after the comment from the dealer and then I found this article http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1 , i know its 18 months old, but makes you think. I guess the only way to find out is to have the tire removed.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nalajh
I picked up my wifes new 2010 A4 last night, and according to the dealer it uses an indirect method of TPMS, no wheel sensers, the abs system measures the diameter of the tires to detect any changes. You use the mmi to reset the system after adjusting tire pressures or swapping rims. I would love to have someone comfirm this.
I'm not sure where you're located, but I asked this precise question to AoA customer care last week (so I could know whether I needed sensors for my winter wheel/tire set) and after researching the problem for a couple of hours they gave me the opposite answer. According to them, the 2010 A4 uses active sensors.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a metal valve stem with what looks to be a nut around the stem, you've got sensors.

John.

Quick Reply: TPMS Questions