A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Trade in before or after 5 years (CPO)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in before or after 5 years (CPO)

Hi,

I am wondering if there is anyone who works for or who has worked for a dealership. Doesnt necessarily need to be Audi, just any manufacturer that does a similar Certified Preowned Warranty Program.
I can't really take my dealers word for it, so I'd like a second opinion.

I have a CPO 2009 A4 in immaculate condition, only 44k miles. My CPO Warranty (6 years) expires in a little over a year, lets just say 1/1/2015 (original purchased 1/1/2009).

I am wondering if it would be worth trading in now.
The reason I asking is that on 1/1/2014, the car will be exactly 5 years old.
So that means that if the dealership gets the car on 12/15/2013, they will be able to re-certify it. They would make it a CPO vehicle, and the purchaser would get 2years/50k miles warranty from their purchase date. A pretty good incentive to buy!

However, if I wait until 1/15/2014, the car will be over 5 years and they would be unable to re-certify it.

I am wondering what the price drop in trade-in value would be from 12/15/2013 to 1/2/2014.

I would still have CPO warranty until 1/1/2015. Once the warranty expires, I am going to trade it in immediately for a new A4. I still enjoy the car and do not absolutely need to trade it in just yet. However, I am wondering if it is worth keeping it for the extra year, or if the smart move is to trade it in right before 5 years to maximize my trade in. I don't want to find out my car droped 5k in value as soon as it goes 1 day over 5 years. The same way, I dont want to trade it in early if I can keep it for an extra year and not lose any money on the trade-in.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Why replace a immaculate condition B8 A4 with a still valid warranty for another B8 A4 ?

Makes more sense to keep it a little longer even if you have to keep it an extra year without any warranty and buy a B9 when it will probably becomes available at the end of 2015 as a 2016 model !

I also have a CPO 2009 and will wait to see how the B9 A4 and the new A3/S3 will look before replacing my current A4.

I kept my B5 A4 eleven years, it was costly to keep running, but much cheaper than buying a new one...
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Why replace a immaculate condition B8 A4 with a still valid warranty for another B8 A4 ?
"I am wondering if it is worth keeping it for the extra year, or if the smart move is to trade it in right before 5 years to maximize my trade in. I don't want to find out my car droped 5k in value as soon as it goes 1 day over 5 years."
Old 08-04-2013, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think your brand new A4 might loose a lot more money when the B9 A4 will show up a year or so after you just bought it...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yah that didn't really cross my mind, yet another factor I have to put into consideration. I haven't decided if I'm going to buy another CPO or new yet.

But can someone answer the original question on the change that happens right at 5 years. I think only dealers may know.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

After 5 years the value of your car will start to tumble, at least that was the advice I was given. "If you're in for 5 you'll be keeping it until 7".

This should help
http://www.edmunds.com/sell-car/for-...ilestones.html
Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I asked my dealership and they have a certain time limit (not related to the 'in service' date of the car)
For 2009s they told me that as long as it is still under warranty and I trade it before (I think they said September of next year)
They can recertify and will give at an additional 2 years (So someone could theoretically have a 3rd owner car under warranty until it is 8 years old)
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cyncris
I asked my dealership and they have a certain time limit (not related to the 'in service' date of the car)
For 2009s they told me that as long as it is still under warranty and I trade it before (I think they said September of next year)
They can recertify and will give at an additional 2 years (So someone could theoretically have a 3rd owner car under warranty until it is 8 years old)
So basically, you need to trade it in around three to four months before the end of the six year warranty?

I just consulted the CPO fine prints and it says that the warranty is valid for maximum 6 years from the initial "in service" date. This means that a third owner could not have the car under warranty until it is 8 year old... A third owner could only benefit the remaining portion of the CPO warranty for a small transfer fee ( $ 150.00 in Canada).

Last edited by Turbo Freak; 08-08-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did notice it was worded a little differently on the Audi CPO certification form.
"Is the vehicle 5 model years old or newer with no more than 60,000 miles?"

It does not state "within 5 years of the in service date", but states "5 model years old or newer".

If thats the case, it would be FANTASTIC since I could keep the car for around another 8 months (or so) and it could still be recertified by the dealership.

Is there any way you could find out exactly what the ruling is on the certification date? Like an exact date in September? Does it follow the same rule every year? So like 2010 would be September 2 years from now.
I called my dealership and they thought it was in-service date.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Audi Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty provides coverage up to 2 years or up to 80,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, to a maximum of 6 years or 160,000 kilometres based on the vehicle’s original in-service date.

Which means when the car was first bought.

My car was first bought on June 1st 2009 by the original owner. With the CPO, the warranty is good until June 1st 2015 or before if I reach 160,000 kilometres.

Last edited by Turbo Freak; 08-08-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Trade in before or after 5 years (CPO)