A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Trailer pulling with an A4 Avant

Old 11-14-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer pulling with an A4 Avant

I have a 2008 A4 avant with 42,000 Km, I am planning to install a trailer hitch and pull a 3,500 Lbs., single axle, Carmate Box trailer (10 feet long x 6 feet wide x 70 inches tall). Although I will only pull it once a while, I am concern about damaging my car.
Should I be concern about the gear box and the wear the car may have from puling such trailer?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kumo6
I have a 2008 A4 avant with 42,000 Km, I am planning to install a trailer hitch and pull a 3,500 Lbs., single axle, Carmate Box trailer (10 feet long x 6 feet wide x 70 inches tall). Although I will only pull it once a while, I am concern about damaging my car.
Should I be concern about the gear box and the wear the car may have from puling such trailer?
What size engine do you have 2.0T or 3.2? I really think though you will be way over recommended towing capacity with either one IMHO. Also, that is just the weight of the trailer??? If so, you have to consider what you will be putting in it and the weight of what you are hauling. Curious, how far would you be pulling the trailer/load? FYI, you should never pull (depending on the vehicle/motor) in overdrive which would cause too much strain on the motor/tranny. I believe the Avant is only available in automatic??? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just thought of something also very important. Braking . Don't know if you have ever towed any significant weight, but you'll be surprised how difficult it is to stop. I have a Ford Ranger and pull a utuility trailer weighing in about 750 lbs. Add to this about 1500 lbs of gravel and when it comes time to stop you better have good brakes as this weight will be pushing you more than you think. And you are pulling at least 3500 lbs minimum. Don't forget too that if you are going to have other passengers in the car while towing, this is additional strain on the motor/tranny. Have I discouraged you yet? If not, maybe other members can caution you as well.

Rent a truck to be safer if just once in a while.

I personally wouldn't haul something that heavy with my A4.

Last edited by Old Dog; 11-14-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Additional Text Added
Old 11-14-2010, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would call your dealership and ask them. In North America, everyone (including myself) is so used to towing with a pick-up or SUV that we rarely see a car towing anything. In Europe, towing with a car is very common. I could guess to say though that 3,500lbs is a little extreme for a compact car.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NickZag
I would call your dealership and ask them. In North America, everyone (including myself) is so used to towing with a pick-up or SUV that we rarely see a car towing anything. In Europe, towing with a car is very common. I could guess to say though that 3,500lbs is a little extreme for a compact car.
Thats why I asked, in Europe I have seen many compacts pulling trailers. Pick-up's, as we know them, are almost non existent. By the way the total weight is 3.5K lbs including load. My other option is the family car, a Volvo XC90 with 150,000 Km but I am even more concern about the Volvo's tranny!!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Old Dog
What size engine do you have 2.0T or 3.2? I really think though you will be way over recommended towing capacity with either one IMHO. Also, that is just the weight of the trailer??? If so, you have to consider what you will be putting in it and the weight of what you are hauling. Curious, how far would you be pulling the trailer/load? FYI, you should never pull (depending on the vehicle/motor) in overdrive which would cause too much strain on the motor/tranny. I believe the Avant is only available in automatic??? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just thought of something also very important. Braking . Don't know if you have ever towed any significant weight, but you'll be surprised how difficult it is to stop. I have a Ford Ranger and pull a utuility trailer weighing in about 750 lbs. Add to this about 1500 lbs of gravel and when it comes time to stop you better have good brakes as this weight will be pushing you more than you think. And you are pulling at least 3500 lbs minimum. Don't forget too that if you are going to have other passengers in the car while towing, this is additional strain on the motor/tranny. Have I discouraged you yet? If not, maybe other members can caution you as well.

Rent a truck to be safer if just once in a while.

I personally wouldn't haul something that heavy with my A4.
Its an A4 2.0T with the 6 speed tiptronic transmission. The total weight is 3500 incl load and no passengers. Yes, you discourage me already!! I"ll probably buy a cheap pick up at ritchie Bros auction
Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its an A4 2.0T with the 6 speed tiptronic transmission. The total weight is 3500 incl load and no passengers. Yes, you discourage me already!! I"ll probably buy a cheap pick up at ritchie Bros auction
Better safe than sorry .
Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thats why I asked, in Europe I have seen many compacts pulling trailers. Pick-up's, as we know them, are almost non existent. By the way the total weight is 3.5K lbs including load. My other option is the family car, a Volvo XC90 with 150,000 Km but I am even more concern about the Volvo's tranny!!
Hmmm.... I would think the XC90 would be better suited for towing then your A4.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello all,
I just registered because I'm very interested in a new '11 A4 Avant. I know the car is what I want with one concern. I do have to tow a small trailer with a gross weight under 1500#. I'm sure it will do it because I currently have an HHR that has about 140HP and it does it just fine. My problem is I can't find a listing for a hitch for an Avant, just a sedan. Would it be the same, or can you recommend a brand that lists the Avant? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used a gen1 Volvo Cross Country for towing an open trailer with a VW Corrado and 8 wheels and tires on it without any issues. I don't know about the Avant but the Volvo had separate oil and tranny coolers and never broke a sweat but braking was definitely something that required forethought. Not sure if the extra coolers were part of a tow package or standard.

I wouldn't use my Avant to tow anything. Maybe the normal bumper allows the use of a hitch but the S-line rear bumper looks like it would have issues with a hitch anyways.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Doesn't the identical platform 2.0TFSI Q5 support towing 4000 something pounds stock?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer pulling with an A4 Avant