A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Undecided if to purchase my lease

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undecided if to purchase my lease

How are you people, I have a question in regards to my 2015a4 Quattro. My lease is do in 6 months and I'm hesitant if to purchase the car or return it after lease is over. The residual value will be 20,050 after lease is over. I leased it on 42 month term an 10k mlles per year. Dealer keeps insistent in leasing me another vehicle. What's your advice. Car has minor daily driving issues nothing major. Thanks for your responses in advance.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Is it an oil burner? Has leasing worked in your favor?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Is it an oil burner? Has leasing worked in your favor?
not at all, this is my first lease I drive it about 50 miles daily to work and home. Has never given me any issue.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you really like it, the only way to get the most out of a vehicle is to buy it and drive it until it dies (hopefully after many miles). Leases are expensive, especially on an Audi! If you are one who would rather have a new vehicle all the time and the peace of mind of not having to get jammed with a large repair bill at some point, and you can justify the cost of a lease, then keep leasing. It's really a personal preference. I don't drive a heck of a lot so I personally like owning my car because the money isn't gone like it is at the end of a lease when you don't buy it out. I only put 6-8k on it a year so I know it will last quite a while and I'm pretty meticulous with doing my maintenance, so I'm comfortable with the investment.

On a side note, if you like to modify your vehicle (like most of us here), then I don't think they will like that too much if you're on a lease!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As of now I haven't done any mods for the same reason. I like the car very reliable and I've kept it well taken cared of. People give me compliments on the streets even thought it's just stock from factory..
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Leasing is for people who have excess money they want to throw away and they get bored easily, or a business person who gets some kind of write-off benefit that nullifies the cost.
Or maybe someone uncertain if they really want to commit long term to a particular vehicle and want to pay the extra for the option out.

So are you looking at your car feeling the need to change some aspect of what you own? I liked my previous car, but after owning it, demanded I have awd and a hatch next, thus I now own a quattro avant.
Are you bored with the car, or otherwise feel that you hate it on a daily basis? (I hate my engine daily, but Audi wouldn't let me own a proper solution, an S4 avant).
Do you have too much money and you need to get rid of it? (This is your salesman's position, btw).
Is there some advantage for you staying on a lease (I assume this is what you would do if you didn't continue with this car) vs moving to payments?

You need a car. If there's not any reason you want to try something else or otherwise just not have this car, why wouldn't you continue with the path you've already made a financial investment in?

This from the perspective of a guy who only owns cars. Current car I've owned for almost 6 years, prior car 9.5 years, previous prior car 8 years. Leasing mentalities may argue differently.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your dealer would love to take back a car in great shape with low miles, run it through CPO, and sell it again plus sell or lease another to you. Money both ways.

If you do choose to lease or buy another car from them and your car is in great shape, you have the advantage of being able to negotiate some positive value out of your leased car before the lease ends. While you don't have equity in the car, you can negotiate against their future resale price and treat it like trade value on the new lease or purchase. This is based on condition and mileage and the assumption that they'll want to buy it, maybe CPO, and resell. Especially if their cost to recondition the car is going to be low.