A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my dealer trying to make an appointment toda y regarding this issue. Was only told that the issue is not resolved and didn't even want me to book the appointment.

I contaced Audi.ca and got a call back said he already talked to the service manager and want me to bring in the car to check the problem.

Then called again, same thing. but when i told them about Audi.ca service rep, they told me to just do a drop in and they will see what need to be checked.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi issued a TSB on Aug14,2009 stating Harsh2-1 shift with Automatic gearbox on both A4 and A5. They fixed my A4 Avant yesterday by performing the suggested software update for the transmission control unit. My car is fine now when coming to a slow stop. This doesn't, I believe, address the issue that many here have described of jittering at higher speeds. This was just a problem with shuddering and downshifting at low speeds or a stop. Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

vm Do you have the TSB # for the harsh shift issue?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car was in dealership for new control arms yesterday. My car also got the transmission control module software update. According to the invoice, the TSB# is 2021193/1.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mnemons
My car was in dealership for new control arms yesterday. My car also got the transmission control module software update. According to the invoice, the TSB# is 2021193/1.
Thanks a lot mnemons. I'm bringing my car in on the 21st for 5000 mile service and for the vibrations for the 2nd time now.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default front wheel vibrations

i took my '09 a4 s-line to livermore and they force balanced all 4 tires and one of my tires needs to be replaced. they put the inferior tire on the rear for now and the vibration disappeared. hoooray! i should be getting my new tire next week. i have always had excellent service at livermore audi. this is my sixth audi and its just a great car.
don
Old 09-12-2009, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by av_audi
Funny. My now old Passat B5.5 has the same issue. I am not sure when I first noticed it assumed it and was just normal wear of the suspension. But perhaps there is something inherent in the control arm design that makes it vibrate a little after something loosens the tolerances (wear, bump hit, etc.)
On closer look, while the vibrations happenin the 65-75mph range, I think they are mostly due to the road surface.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

here you go, i think this is it, the paper work says transaction No: 2021193/1 I am going to try and scan this and post it.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Let's see if they make this easy

At about 4800 miles, I went in for my 5k service and asked for road force balancing because of what I would call a "low level" vibration I could feel at highway speeds. The rf balance helped but did not totally eliminate the vibration -- and I knew if I went back to the dealer, I'd be in for a long haul.

In the ensuing months, I've only put on about 4K more miles and am just past 1 yr (I had the very 1st A4 delivered to my dealer). Over the weekend, the vibration returned - with a vengeance! Up to exactly 55mph, no noticeable vibration -- but as soon as I went up to 56mph, the vibration started and my steering wheel began to shake with it. This continued until I got past 70mph, where it smoothed out and the wheel went "quiet."

I called the service manager at my dealer and explained this to him. Luckily, my records at the 5k service did detail my complaint and I was told that yes, they have to road force balance again -- plus they must do some other checks on the tires as Audi had several "bad batches" of tires that have caused problems. Once these items were done/eliminated, they would have to get the OK from Audi's tech support group to order new control arms -- which would be stamped with my VIN and would only be installed on my car.

I'm hoping that they end up replacing all 4 tires -- wouldn't mind new rubber -- and that they will be able to get the OK on the control arms soon.

I am also experiencing the other issues (low speed shudder, an occasional hard 2-1 downshift and have now seen the grommets pulling out on the front headrests) -- hopefully I can get them to document everything, fix the headrests and harsh downshift -- and hope that they finally get a fix on the low speed shudder. I just wish Audi was easier to deal with -- they're a "premium" brand and yet everything seems like pulling teeth. I've had a much easier time getting the small things taken care of on my Buick Enclave!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's blame the customer time

I just talked to the dealer -- who now tells me that I have a bent rim, although he admits that it is NOTHING you can can see with the naked eye. In my book, that is not a bent rim, but a rim out of round from the beginning. I was told one of the fronts was bent and they moved it to the back and the vibration is much better.

So here's what happened, IMO -- dealer rotated my tires at the 5K service and according to road force, put the worst wheel at the rear -- and since then, about 500 miles ago, I rotated them again, not knowing that there was an out-of-round problem then that they tried to "fix" by simply moving it to the rear of the car.

I put it on the front (rotated front to rear, rears to front), not knowing any of this. And didn't do any highway driving to expose this problem again. Took it out this past Friday and it shook worse than ever -- probably due to another 4K miles on bad control arms which they apparently don't want to replace and to an out-of-round wheel which they claim is my fault. With about 8,800 miles on my car, it is in near-perfect condition, with nary a scratch on it. Same for wheels -- perfect condition, but not according to them.

I'm awaiting a call now from the Service Mgr.
Crap. Last thing I wanted to have to do is fight with them about it but this MAY be the last Audi I get. Can't take this b.s.

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA