A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Volume Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volume Control

Hey guys, the other day I was driving and a good song came on so naturally I pump up the volume and I get a nice grin on my face (and then quickly lower it at a redlight so I won't be noticed like on 'Office Space') As I'm enjoying my music at excessive volumes I think to myself, "this can't be good for the ears". I then realize for the first time in 4 months of owning my car that there is not a volume level indicator so I can see that I'm at half volume or full blast or whatever. Of course its not exactly necessary because you don't need an indicator to tell if you can hear music...but you may need one to tell you that your hearing is getting worse - ex. I only needed volume at 20% last year to be at a comfortable volume but now I need it at 30% uh oh. So my question to you is 1. Is there a volume indicator that I have not found and 2. If there is not a volume indicator how many of you don't like not having the indicator?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These is a volume indicator somewhere in the MMI. I don't know exactly how to get to it but it's there.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
These is a volume indicator somewhere in the MMI. I don't know exactly how to get to it but it's there.
I was perfectly happy until you bought it up!!!! LOL!

Looking for speed volume settings like in the BMW. Does it exist?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Aw jeez...really? You need a readout to tell you if your too loud volume is damaging your hearing?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I noticed that right away, I've gotten used to it. The only thing is I don't know how loud the sound can go. I'm too chicken to just keep cranking it up until I think I've reached the max. It's odd but I've gotten used to it.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Aw jeez...really? You need a readout to tell you if your too loud volume is damaging your hearing?
haha. not to tell me...just to quantify the amount of hearing loss lol.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bargamon
I was perfectly happy until you bought it up!!!! LOL!

Looking for speed volume settings like in the BMW. Does it exist?
It does exist! It's called GALA (forgot what it stands for), and it too can be adjusted in MMI.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
It does exist! It's called GALA (forgot what it stands for), and it too can be adjusted in MMI.
GALA - Graduated Audio Level Adjustment. I have a hard time differentiating between the different levels. I keep it at 1, assuming that its effect is the smallest because it's closest to "off". It usually sets the volume level too loud when I floor the gas pedal to merge on a highway.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markinarch
Hey guys, the other day I was driving and a good song came on so naturally I pump up the volume and I get a nice grin on my face (and then quickly lower it at a redlight so I won't be noticed like on 'Office Space') As I'm enjoying my music at excessive volumes I think to myself, "this can't be good for the ears". I then realize for the first time in 4 months of owning my car that there is not a volume level indicator so I can see that I'm at half volume or full blast or whatever. Of course its not exactly necessary because you don't need an indicator to tell if you can hear music...but you may need one to tell you that your hearing is getting worse - ex. I only needed volume at 20% last year to be at a comfortable volume but now I need it at 30% uh oh. So my question to you is 1. Is there a volume indicator that I have not found and 2. If there is not a volume indicator how many of you don't like not having the indicator?
You know, I had been driving my car for over a full year before I realized that there was a volume adjustment **** on the dash. I only knew how to change the volume with the roller on the steering wheel. I was sitting in the jack in the box drive through and I was like... "what's that glowing **** there??"

To answer your question, I don't know if there's a way to display the volume level, but it doesn't really bother me too much unless I think about it. Then I kinda wish there was a display. In my B5 I like to set the music to certain levels on my stereo for normal driving and for cranking it.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only two things you have to look out for with regards to your audio system volume. If it hurts, in any way, turn it down (protects your hearing). If it sounds distorted, turn it down (protects the audio system). Beyond that it's fair game. You're not going to damage anything by turning it up past any arbitrary line on a volume scale. Crank it and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Volume Control