A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

What is wrong with my a4??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with my a4??

Alright guys, here's my problem. It's a long story, so bear with me please!

A couple months ago, my car started having issues. I left a store at night, mid-winter. My car seemed to start a little rough, but I chalked it up as cold weather. I turned out of the parking lot and my car started shuttering, seem like it was trying to accelerate but kept jerking to a stop, and then stopped moving all together. I finally managed to get it back into the parking lot where it died while in park and wouldn't immediately start again. Fast forward a month and I had the issue again, only this time it was up to 40 degrees outside. (Cold but not as cold as it had been) Next day, started just fine with no complications driving. Fast forward a few weeks and it did it again. Only this time, continued to have the issues a few days in a row until finally we had to have it towed to the house. We thought maybe the battery, changed it, and it ran fine for a couple days. Issues came back. Now my car has been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks and not having any luck. Checked the spark plugs and they were pretty roughed. Changed them. Tested the ignition coils, they were fine. Was going to change coolant sensor, but could not find it ANYWHERE, even after searching online for its location. I am a small person and reached my hand in places most people couldn't fit and tried flashlights and mirrors. We skipped that. Checked all fuses and relays, no issues there. I haven't been able to start my car since getting it towed. The few times I have, it immediately died. Now I'm at a complete loss, yet trying to avoid the stupid stealership at all costs and don't trust most of the mechanics around here. Any suggestions or have you dealt with something similar? This car has caused me nothing but problems for the year that I have had it. I just want to finally be able to enjoy my audi.

Oh, I forgot. I have a 2011 a4 2.0t quattro
Old 05-14-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I false failed to mention, when it was stuttering my EPC light came on and threw a p053f fault code. After replacing some of the items, it went away and now it's not throwing any codes.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like bad injector - sometimes a problem on 2.0 engines.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The temp sensor is on the water pump housing. It is under the intake manifold. Check easy stuff, like leaky or damaged hoses. The one from the PCV to the intake is one possible culprit. Also make sure the intake hoses are OK and clamps are tight.

I would check the fuel pump on your car for proper pressure. It is normally very high, around 5 bar. Most cars will still run at half that, but trouble can occur anytime. This might explain your cold start fuel pressure performance code.

You don't indicate mileage, but you could also have a timing chain problem, with the tensioners at the end of their limits.

Both repairs are expensive, so don't guess, have it properly diagnosed. That would be money well spent.