A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Whats the trick - resolving the vibration issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whats the trick - resolving the vibration issue?

I have been in twice now to the dealer.

Visit one: They balanced all and replaced front wheel bearings, vibration at 65 gone.

Visit two: lead tech took it for a drive, couldn't tell if there was any vibration.

I have since experienced the steering wheel shake intermittently at 65, the shiver when the wheel is all the way locked to one side and backing up(the tech calls this quattro shake)?? and continued vibration only felt by the driver. it happens off and on, sometimes constant, always on less than smooth roads, more when turning....

I know the dealer is resistant to admit there is an issue, they invited me to bring it back and leave it for the day.

It just doesn't feel right.....but how do you explain that, you feel it in the bones? like an axle problem?

How do I get them to replace the control arms? WHATS the TRICK?

Do I contact AoA? Any tips???
Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the impression that there was a specific procedure dealers must follow first (wheel balancing). It also seems to depend on the dealer's service dept. I've been to two dealers: the first dealer seemed to want to wash their hands of me and did two balancings (the first of which I was charged for). The second dealer was MUCH more helpful. After the tech rode with me several times he immediately identified the problem. After trying a wheel balancing (third one total) they opened a TACS (forgot what it stands for, but it's contacting AoA for assistance) and that got the control arms ordered. I am currently waiting on them.

Just get someone to ride in the car with you. That should do it.

Originally Posted by Unagi
I have been in twice now to the dealer.

Visit one: They balanced all and replaced front wheel bearings, vibration at 65 gone.

Visit two: lead tech took it for a drive, couldn't tell if there was any vibration.

I have since experienced the steering wheel shake intermittently at 65, the shiver when the wheel is all the way locked to one side and backing up(the tech calls this quattro shake)?? and continued vibration only felt by the driver. it happens off and on, sometimes constant, always on less than smooth roads, more when turning....

I know the dealer is resistant to admit there is an issue, they invited me to bring it back and leave it for the day.

It just doesn't feel right.....but how do you explain that, you feel it in the bones? like an axle problem?

How do I get them to replace the control arms? WHATS the TRICK?

Do I contact AoA? Any tips???
Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I detailed this in several posts -- essentially you must go through the steps to prove you are among the worthy to receive the new control arms.

You need to have documented the issue, had the required prerequisite steps taken (seems you have.) Then, raise the issue again and the arms will be ordered and installed FOC.

Makes all the difference in the world.

Probably doesn't hurt that I have built a relationship with the service people at my dealership (well, hell, after 29 Audis it wasn't hard to do.)

Drive it like you live!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mark, been keeping up with your threads on the control arms. Glad they finally did the trick!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

... or just wait for the TSB to be released, print it out, and hand it to your service manager when you walk in and tell them to fix it. Always seemed to work on my VW when it had a TSB issue.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

As I indicated in Mark's other post on this issue, my dealer told me last week that AoA is no longer requiring customers to go through the steps of having the wheels road force balanced. Instead, they are asking customers to wait 30-60 days for a fix to be announced through a recall or TSB, once they receive enough feedback from guinea pigs like Mark as to how the various fixes that they are trying work out. In other words,they are asking us to be patient. Whether to comply is up to you.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do I send a message to AOA that I had my dealership balance my wheels but the 65-70 mph vibration continues? Is there an email or owerners response section? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone else with an Avant experiencing the vibration?

My Avant does it and it's going in next Wed. Dealer says they are aware of control arm replacements but not for the Avants...? Do the Avants have a different front end than the Sedan? Seems like it should be the same issue, same resolution.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Avant has this problem and is at the dealership now to resolve that issue. They claimed they have eliminated the vibration by re-balancing all of the wheels, but I haven't test driven it myself to confirm their assertion.

AFAIK, the front suspension is identical between sedans and Avants. It's the rear where differences start to appear in the suspension setup.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default steering shimmy

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I detailed this in several posts -- essentially you must go through the steps to prove you are among the worthy to receive the new control arms.

You need to have documented the issue, had the required prerequisite steps taken (seems you have.) Then, raise the issue again and the arms will be ordered and installed FOC.

Makes all the difference in the world.

Probably doesn't hurt that I have built a relationship with the service people at my dealership (well, hell, after 29 Audis it wasn't hard to do.)

Drive it like you live!
i just contacted livermore audi about my new audi's shimmy at 60-75 and he gave a step by step procedure( exactly as you said) and explained that the new a4 suspension comes with stiffer control arm bushings than in the past. this is my sixth audi and the first to have this problem. basically, he said they go through a three step program and it will be fixed. i feel a little guilty for not buying this car from them, but they still treat me great with my service. i always have my audis serviced there. dealors' service departments very in quality of service from one to another, and livermore is one of the best. and by the way, my new a4 s-line is an oustanding car.
sincerely, don compton

Quick Reply: Whats the trick - resolving the vibration issue?