When coming to a stop, feels like the car is about to stall - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > When coming to a stop, feels like the car is about to stall
Notices
A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When coming to a stop, feels like the car is about to stall

Reply

 
 
Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 AM
  #1
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Default When coming to a stop, feels like the car is about to stall

Has anyone experienced this issue? Just before coming to a complete stop, the car feels like the engine is about to stall. Is it an Audi thing? Very annoying feeling. Just bought the car, 09 Audi A4 - Premium Plus - Automatic. Any ideas?
will_ucf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 AM
  #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
SilverA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 798
Default

Are you sure it isn't just tiptronic down-shifting into first? Usually I notice/feel the engine braking when it does this. I haven't had an automatic in 12 years, so I guess I was a little sensitive to the feeling at first.

Originally Posted by will_ucf View Post
Has anyone experienced this issue? Just before coming to a complete stop, the car feels like the engine is about to stall.
SilverA4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM
  #3
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 155
Default

Originally Posted by will_ucf View Post
Has anyone experienced this issue? Just before coming to a complete stop, the car feels like the engine is about to stall. Is it an Audi thing? Very annoying feeling. Just bought the car, 09 Audi A4 - Premium Plus - Automatic. Any ideas?
I experience that from time to time. It does feel like it is going to stall. I have the p+ auto, quattro.
Buckeye96 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
  #4
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by Buckeye96 View Post
I experience that from time to time. It does feel like it is going to stall. I have the p+ auto, quattro.
Not sure what it might be on an Audi, but I had a similar issue on my Volvo where just before coming to a stop, the RPMs would drop to about 400-500 for a couple seconds before coming back up to ~1.1k. Engine would struggle, felt like it was going to stall, but never actually did.

I had the throttle body either cleaned or replaced (forget which) but that took care of the problem, and it's been running just fine for the 3 years since.
cparson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
  #5
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by SilverA4 View Post
Are you sure it isn't just tiptronic down-shifting into first? Usually I notice/feel the engine braking when it does this. I haven't had an automatic in 12 years, so I guess I was a little sensitive to the feeling at first.
Thanks, i haven't even tried the tiptronic mode yet. This happens while in Drive on the auto. Other issues I've noticed is that the key fob gets stuck and won't come out after pressing it in to turn the car off. You have to turn the car back on and try it again, giving it a second after the car turns off before pulling the key fob out. Then, there is also noticeable vibrations while driving. The car only has 170 miles on it. Talk about buyers remorse.
will_ucf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 AM
  #6
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by cparson View Post
Not sure what it might be on an Audi, but I had a similar issue on my Volvo where just before coming to a stop, the RPMs would drop to about 400-500 for a couple seconds before coming back up to ~1.1k. Engine would struggle, felt like it was going to stall, but never actually did.

I had the throttle body either cleaned or replaced (forget which) but that took care of the problem, and it's been running just fine for the 3 years since.

Good post, I'll have to look at the RPM gauge as I come to a stop and see if that looks to be it. Maybe it is dipping low and climbing back up. I'll also try the tiptronic mode to see if there is a difference.
will_ucf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
  #7
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by will_ucf View Post
Thanks, i haven't even tried the tiptronic mode yet. This happens while in Drive on the auto. Other issues I've noticed is that the key fob gets stuck and won't come out after pressing it in to turn the car off. You have to turn the car back on and try it again, giving it a second after the car turns off before pulling the key fob out. Then, there is also noticeable vibrations while driving. The car only has 170 miles on it. Talk about buyers remorse.
There's a locking mechanism on the keyfob that takes a half a second to release after shutting off the engine, I don't think you need to restart every time, just pause before pulling the key out. And there's supposedly a TSB coming out in a month or so regarding the vibrations (see this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2760267).

Sorry to hear about the buyer's remorse... I'm still debating whether or not to pull the trigger myself.
cparson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM
  #8
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 216
Default

My friend (Gregshin on the forums) just got an Audi A5 with the tiptronic. He was having this same exact problem until about 400 miles. I guess it's a normal thing where the ECU is figuring some things out when you're first breaking it in. I say if it's still happening after 500-600 miles to talk to your dealer.
krunko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
  #9
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Default

I've had the same issue with my S4 that is a week old. But on the second day of driving, the issue was less prevalent. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm hoping as the car breaks in more and the ECU learns my driving style it'll be a non-issue
altecdell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
  #10
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Good Post

I will be watching this thread carefully. I just brought home a 2010 A4 Quattro a few weeks ago. Just today, I was concerned about the same question. Is this normal? Audi thing? Something that needs adjustment?

Regards,
-- plA4keeps


Originally Posted by will_ucf View Post
Has anyone experienced this issue? Just before coming to a complete stop, the car feels like the engine is about to stall. Is it an Audi thing? Very annoying feeling. Just bought the car, 09 Audi A4 - Premium Plus - Automatic. Any ideas?
plA4keeps is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jjyerro
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
24
10-14-2017 08:36 AM
wantfryswiddat
TT (Mk1) Discussion
4
09-21-2015 05:55 AM
aron56
Audi 100 / A6 (C4 Platform)
0
09-01-2015 12:39 AM
Parsec
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion
1
08-30-2015 02:00 PM
audijim113
A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
10
08-29-2015 05:39 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:08 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: