A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

When to replace shocks and struts - Wobble at 20mph/40mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to replace shocks and struts - Wobble at 20mph/40mph

Hi all,

I have a US 2009 A4 3.2FSI AWD, with about 92,000 miles on it. For some months now, I have been experiencing a bit of steering wheel wobble and an oscillating sound at around 20mph and 40mph, which I suspect implies resonance of some rotating component. It is more substantial when braking. I've currently got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires on the stock 5-spoke rims.

I also hear something like a clicking noise when going over bigger bumps. I cannot tell if it is related. coming from the suspension, or something in the door (perhaps the convenience unlock receiver, which recently stopped working, is dangling around).

I've brought it in for wheel mounting/rotating/balancing to the local Midas shop twice in the past year and a half, and both times they have recommended getting the shocks and struts replaced. The first time, there was visible cupping on the noisy old tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS, known for being noisy anyway, but I wonder if it was an alignment issue). They took the car for a short test drive this time and claimed the ride is not as smooth as it should be, and the rear suspension may be bottoming out. They showed me that one of the rear wheels is visibly out of true as well, when spinning it on the balancing machine.

I've called the local Audi dealer twice to ask about getting the shocks and struts replaced, but the usual service guy says he's never done it on an A4 B8, even to cars with more mileage than mine. He said if there's a clicking noise, there could be an issue with the strut mounting point, and the strut tower rockers could be hitting something when braking, but I haven't noticed any clicking noise while braking.

At this point, I'm not sure who to trust, what the most likely cause of my problem is, and what to get done first. Should I try to get the wheel fixed up for ~$75? Is it really time to get the shocks/struts replaced for ~$1200? the manager at Midas claims they always use parts that meet or exceed the manufacturers specifications, so I won't get cheap parts, but would I be likely to get better stuff from an Audi dealer anyway if something does need to be replaced?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll state the obvious: I would not trust Midas with my overly-engineered German car. Nor would I trust their "meet or exceeds." Toyota Camry? Sure. Audi? Nope. It's like going to Jiffy Lube to get your oil changed and then they come running out with all these "problems" you car has that they can fix on the spot.

Is there a local VW/Audi shop? A place that does things like chip tuning and mods? Those are the kind of places you want to go if you don't want to pay dealer prices.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you already checked your wheel bearings?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Have you already checked your wheel bearings?
Not yet... the guy at Midas also showed me that there is a slight rubbing sound when spinning the rear wheels with the car up on a lift. Any thoughts as to if this is indicative of bad wheel bearings or warped brake discs?

I'll see if I can get an appointment soon with one of the other VW/Audi shops in the area. I don't know any other VW/Audi owners in this area that wouldn't go to the local dealer. I've lost some faith in them however, after a set of brakes they installed warped severely after about 3k miles, (luckily replaced under warranty), and my serpentine belt tensioner seized about a week after I brought it there for 85k mile service. Things just seem to go bad after I bring the car there.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad bearings can make a groaning/roaring sound (which bad CV joints can make clicking sounds). A bad wheel bearing will generally allow excessive play when grabbing a wheel (off the ground on a chassis lift) and rocking it back and forth.

Definitely get a 2nd opinion (doesn't have to be a dealer, maybe a VW/Audi independent).