A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

When to STOP dumping money???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to STOP dumping money???

So I've never used a forum of any sort, so I'm not sure if this is correct so if I'm doing it wrong just please let me know and I'll post it somewhere else. and this is typed on my phone so ignore spelling

I have a 2009 Audi A4 114,000miles, we had an issue with the timing tensioner and it ended up breaking and we bent 12 rods. We took it to a shop they took the top off the engine to replace the valves ($4300). they mentioned the turbo is throwing a code so they tried to repair it but it did not fix it so they took whatever they put on, off, and replaced the old parts and said we need a whole new turbo.

when we got it back the driver window would not roll up and stay, it would just close then roll back down, every lighter/outlet we have was also no longer working. And finally the A/C was not blowing cold any longer, within 45min it threw the check engine light, we took it back the next day. we were then told it was the turbo waste gate not working at 100%. they reset the window sensor which fixed the window, they recharged the A/C (after telling me over and over it had nothing to do with them, come to find out on the work order, they sure did mess with the A/C) and I was only charged for freon, so they said.

so we have the car back, window works, A/C(kinda of working, now theres a noise like bumping when its on, and I noticed it not working at all once, where it blows, just not cold. the outlets they told us have nothing to do with their work, and to fix them itll cost $$$.

A day later check engine comes on again, now the shop is getting a little defensive as thou this is my deal/fault, so we bring it back...now the claim is our o2 sensors are bad as well as our cat. which was not a code 2days before. they just said at the shop it was prob time to change them due to mileage, which was one of the things I asked if it was worth fixing the engine at this stage, they said everything else looking fine so why not.

I guess I have a few ???...as I am not a mech and I expect to be treated fair even with my lack of knowledge and Im thinking they might be blowing smoke.

1. can elec issues occur after the work I had done?
2. can o2/cat be damaged with work i had done?
3. could turbo or any of these error codes be caused by bad date being run by there machine, meaning Ive read somewhere you can hook up computer to your car and do things like turn off the outlets, adjust o2 etc.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vin: WAUCF78K59N060430 in case

[QUOTE=MyOccamsRazor;25156212]

So I've never used a forum of any sort, so I'm not sure if this is correct so if I'm doing it wrong just please let me know and I'll post it somewhere else. and this is typed on my phone so ignore spelling

I have a 2009 Audi A4 114,000miles, we had an issue with the timing tensioner and it ended up breaking and we bent 12 rods. We took it to a shop they took the top off the engine to replace the valves ($4300). they mentioned the turbo is throwing a code so they tried to repair it but it did not fix it so they took whatever they put on, off, and replaced the old parts and said we need a whole new turbo.

when we got it back the driver window would not roll up and stay, it would just close then roll back down, every lighter/outlet we have was also no longer working. And finally the A/C was not blowing cold any longer, within 45min it threw the check engine light, we took it back the next day. we were then told it was the turbo waste gate not working at 100%. they reset the window sensor which fixed the window, they recharged the A/C (after telling me over and over it had nothing to do with them, come to find out on the work order, they sure did mess with the A/C) and I was only charged for freon, so they said.

so we have the car back, window works, A/C(kinda of working, now theres a noise like bumping when its on, and I noticed it not working at all once, where it blows, just not cold. the outlets they told us have nothing to do with their work, and to fix them itll cost $$$.

A day later check engine comes on again, now the shop is getting a little defensive as thou this is my deal/fault, so we bring it back...now the claim is our o2 sensors are bad as well as our cat. which was not a code 2days before. they just said at the shop it was prob time to change them due to mileage, which was one of the things I asked if it was worth fixing the engine at this stage, they said everything else looking fine so why not.

I guess I have a few ???...as I am not a mech and I expect to be treated fair even with my lack of knowledge and Im thinking they might be blowing smoke.

1. can elec issues occur after the work I had done?
2. can o2/cat be damaged with work i had done?
3. could turbo or any of these error codes be caused by bad date being run by there machine, meaning Ive read somewhere you can hook up computer to your car and do things like turn off the outlets, adjust o2 etc.

so any good ideas