A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Where are fuse banks SF1, SF3, SF4 and ST4??

Old 05-09-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where are fuse banks SF1, SF3, SF4 and ST4??

I have an '09 Avant and I'm looking for these particular fuses and can't find where the SF1, SF3, SF4 and ST4 fuse banks are exactly. I thought they were all in the trunk in the location shown below, but those are showing as ST banks. Can anyone point me to these locations?
  • SF1 Fuse 1
  • SF3 Fuse 3
  • SF4 Fuse 4
  • ST4 Fuse panel 4

Old 05-10-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Yeah, the terminology is confusing. The fuse panels are labeled A, B, C, D, F, and equally labeled SA, SB, SC, SD, and SF. No idea why.
The rows in each panel, aka the fuse carriers, are labeled ST1, ST2, .... So there's an ST1 in A/SA, in B/SB, etc. Or you see them in your post as SF1 = carrier ST1 in fuse panel F.

I don't know what ST4 fuse panel 4 is trying to say. There's not a "fuse panel 4" that I can see, and that still doesn't designate a particular fuse.
Your other three fuses are for the rear lid control module 2, various radios and the CD player, and the cigarette lighter. So no idea what fourth fuse functionality your looking for.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Yeah, the terminology is confusing. The fuse panels are labeled A, B, C, D, F, and equally labeled SA, SB, SC, SD, and SF. No idea why.
The rows in each panel, aka the fuse carriers, are labeled ST1, ST2, .... So there's an ST1 in A/SA, in B/SB, etc. Or you see them in your post as SF1 = carrier ST1 in fuse panel F.

I don't know what ST4 fuse panel 4 is trying to say. There's not a "fuse panel 4" that I can see, and that still doesn't designate a particular fuse.
Your other three fuses are for the rear lid control module 2, various radios and the CD player, and the cigarette lighter. So no idea what fourth fuse functionality your looking for.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I thought the same thing with "fuse panel 4", but that's coming straight from the Wiring Diagram. In any case, I'm trying to determine why non of the 12V sockets are energized in the car and was hoping there was a fuse I"m missing somewhere.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The 12V sockets in a 2009 avant are the four fuses 1 through 4 in fuse carrier ST4 in that fuse panel F.

Yeah, it looks like SFx refers to a fuse in an STx, while SFletter is an alternative writing for fuse panel letter. And fuse panel x is a pseudonym for fuse carrier x, when x is a number.
So SF1 = fuse 1, in some fuse carrier? ST4 = fuse carrier 4, aka fuse panel 4, in some fuse panel.

I know my "2009" has a build date of Aug 2008, so I should be looking at the sections relevant to "from Sept 2007". That's No.1 for standard equipment and No. 3 for fuse positions.
So if we look at No 3 / 29, fuse panel F, fuse panel 4 (aka fuse carrier four aka ST4), we see SF1 through SF4 (fuses 1 through 4) appear to be fed from some common source [11], switched by the J807 sockets relay.

The J807 sockets relay in a 2009 avant is the object C in your fuse panel F in that rear space (it's object E in a sedan).
The J807 has a control connection back to the J393 comfort control module. So I assume it's up to the J393 to determine when to enable/disable the sockets (in the same manner as disabling the windows after the door is opened, etc).

So the power flow is battery -> fuse 1 in panel A -> 10.0 red wire -> B298 main harness positive connection 2 (30amp) -> 4.0 red wire -> J807 sockets relay -> 4.0 red/white wire -> B282 main harness positive connection 16 (15amp) (I'm guessing this is "aka terminal 87") -> four 12V socket fuses in panel F carrier 4 fuses 1-4 as well as this 5A fuse in panel F carrier 1 fuse 4 (which seems to be to some "multimedia prep in the front seats' backrests"; I have no idea what that is or why it would be tied to the socket fuses).

Basically, if all four of your sockets are not working but everything else in the car seems fine, your J807 is not working, not seated well, or there's a problem with the J393 in managing the relay.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
The 12V sockets in a 2009 avant are the four fuses 1 through 4 in fuse carrier ST4 in that fuse panel F.

Yeah, it looks like SFx refers to a fuse in an STx, while SFletter is an alternative writing for fuse panel letter. And fuse panel x is a pseudonym for fuse carrier x, when x is a number.
So SF1 = fuse 1, in some fuse carrier? ST4 = fuse carrier 4, aka fuse panel 4, in some fuse panel.

The J807 sockets relay in a 2009 avant is the object C in your fuse panel F in that rear space (it's object E in a sedan).
The J807 has a control connection back to the J393 comfort control module. So I assume it's up to the J393 to determine when to enable/disable the sockets (in the same manner as disabling the windows after the door is opened, etc).

Basically, if all four of your sockets are not working but everything else in the car seems fine, your J807 is not working, not seated well, or there's a problem with the J393 in managing the relay.
Thank you for the helpful advice. Yes, all four sockets are not working but everything else in the car seems fine. I have swapped relays 'C' and 'D' with no change, and put 12V to the relay and could hear the contact opening/closing. I am still wary of a fuse I've not yet found. "ST4 in Fuse panel 4" doesn't seem to be Fuse #1 in ST4 in fuse panel F. If I could determine exactly where this fuse is, I could eliminate that potential issue. I've been advised to use a tone generator at the 12V sockets and run the wand in the Fuse panel to find that fuse.

Last edited by 4lane; 05-21-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ST4 is not a fuse, it's a fuse carrier designation, ie ST4 = fuse panel 4, in fuse panel F, the only panel with 4 or more rows of fuses.
It's curious that you had relays in the C and D positions. Mine were in the C and E positions, as documented for the sedan, when they should have been in A and C for an avant. Go figure.
Bottom line, one of those relays is what your 12V outlet fuses are connected to, so break out a multimeter with continuity and voltage and confirm.

Your Avant should have a 12V outlet right there in the cover panel. If you pull the connector off the back and pull 15A fuse 3 (SF3) in the carrier 4 row (ST4), you should be able to test continuity between the center wire of the socket connector and the front side (relative to the car orientation, would be your left side as you're likely looking at it) of the fuse socket. If you look in the space above the left end of that fuse block F, you should see a bare metal connector with likely 2 brown wires coming out of it. That's a ground point. You should be able to test continuity between the outer wire of the socket connector and that ground point.

As my relays were in the sedan position, the sockets relay should be in E. So I pull that relay, look at it, see that the control line is between the two connections at the front and rear (related to the car orientation) of the relay socket. And the controlled line is between the two connections at the left and right sides of the relay socket (again, related to the car orientation, not your likely head orientation looking in). I test for continuity between the rearward connection in the fuse socket and the left and right side connections in the socket relay. Tests positive to the right side connection. So the left side connection should be 12V hot. I test voltage between the left side connection to the ground point, yep, 12.6V (car is turned off).

So you need to confirm the connectivity chain and that the relay has 12V on the right pin, and then go from there. If there is 12V there and the relay seems to be fine, I'd guess then it goes back to the control line from the J393. Which is an unfortunate thing if it's the J393.