A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Why '10 better than '09 in Consumer Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why '10 better than '09 in Consumer Reports?

New Best&Worst rates 2010 A4 better than 2009 in four areas. Does anyone know what improvements Audi made in the 2010 to account for these? (1) Engine Minor (defined as 'oil leaks, knocks, pings') got half-red circle for '09, full red circle '10. (2) Fuel System (emission control device, engine computer, fuel injection, fuel pump, stall, hesitation) went from half-red to full red. (3) Suspension (shocks, struts, ball joints, tie rods, wheel balance, bushings) went from empty circle to full red. (4) Power Equipment (cruise, clock, keyless entry, lights, horn, gauges, alarm) went from half-black circle to half-red. What were the flaws in the '09 that Audi apparently fixed in the '10?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

The '09 was the first year for the B8 A4 and as it's the first year, it's not unusual to have a few bugs to iron out with a totally redesigned vehicle series. My guess is CR is reflecting these issues in their ratings. In my case, at least, all were all resolved. All of these can be found in many discussions on the Audiworld B8 Forum but here's a summary of issues many 2009 owners experienced:

- High speed Vibration - Upper control arms were redesigned due to different bushings. Corrected with replacement arms.

- Low speed "shudder" in steering wheel - newly designed power steering hose(s). Corrected with replacement.

- Wind buffeting at certain speeds when sunroof open. Corrected with replaced newly designed plastic wind deflector.

- Some have reported hesitation or jerkiness in gear changes of auto transmission; revised programming by dealer (I've not experienced this one but it could have been done by dealer during regular service anyway)

Other issues I've encountered (not as commonly reported):
-Inoperative on-off button on delivery - resolved with replacement
-Light clunking sound at 29K miles - resolved by retorqueing an upper strut bolt
-Other vibrations at 25K miles - replaced crappy out-of-round OEM Pirelli P6 tires with Continental DWS - resolved all vibrations
-Wrinkling of both front leather seat center panels - resolved with replacement of leather panels

There are probably a few others - join in if I missed any affecting a significant number of 2009 owners.

Cars today are incredibly complex and Audi is no exception. I've learned over the years that if you want to be first with a new model, you have to expect to be a guinea pig of sorts. For me, it was well worth it to dive into the 2009 when first released. It's been an incredible vehicle. If one was considering buying a used 2009 A4 vs a 2010, they should ensure that the significant issues above have been addressed on the vehicle in question. Otherwise, my understanding is the 2010 design is virtually identical to the 2009 with the exception of the improved 3G Nav and rear LED lights starting in 2010.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

First model years rarely get good ratings as far as reliability, but most of the times that's because you're the one finding the quirks for the manufacturer and waiting for them to come out with a fix. I'm sure the '10/'11 have slight tweaks to parts to correct deficiencies the previous model year exposed.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The '09 was the first year for the B8 A4 and as it's the first year, it's not unusual to have a few bugs to iron out with a totally redesigned vehicle series.
First year it was imported to the US but it had done a year or so before that.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
First year it was imported to the US but it had done a year or so before that.
Forgot about that. How come you guys over there didn't get the bugs out of the 2008 for us here in the U.S. before we got a 2009, hmm?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Supposedly there was a 100k maintenance of timing chain replacement. And the timing chain was changed out in 2010 to gears. Can anybody confirm or expand on this.
Thx
Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car isnt made in Japan then Consumer Reports couldn't care less about it. Especially European models. I ignore all their automotive opinions. They can stick to reviewing toasters.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alphatero
If the car isnt made in Japan then Consumer Reports couldn't care less about it. Especially European models. I ignore all their automotive opinions. They can stick to reviewing toasters.
Consumer Report does limited car reviews. This post refers to a survey that I think is published in a booklet that comes with the magazine annually. It's a self-reported unscientific survey based on a limited sample. This accounts for irregularities and general bias. Many people think that because Consumer Reports publishes it these ratings are based on the actual number of repairs. They do not. Similar ratings are available on a number of automotive sites.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by quattrovant
Supposedly there was a 100k maintenance of timing chain replacement. And the timing chain was changed out in 2010 to gears. Can anybody confirm or expand on this.
Thx
The 2.0T B8 uses a timing chain that should not need replacement. The 3.2 uses a timing belt as in past engines and will need eventual replacement. The timing belt in a 3.2 engine should be replaced around 75-85K miles. No Audi uses gears in lieu of a timing chain or belt that I'm aware of.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Their results are based on reported problems. You'll see the ratings change from year to year based on what has happened over the year.

Look at other models as well - you'll see the vehicle ratings go down as the cars get older (grab a 2 year old CR to compare!)

Quick Reply: Why '10 better than '09 in Consumer Reports?