AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   Why can't I sell my tires? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/why-cant-i-sell-my-tires-2785720/)

A4Driver 06-29-2010 06:52 AM

Why can't I sell my tires?

When I purchased my B8, I immediately purchased new all-season tires for it because I don't want the hassle of changing tires/rims every winter. I have the sport package and my car came with 18-inch Pirelli P7 summer tires.

The Pirellis have only about 2,000 gently-driven miles on them. In other words, they're like new. I put an ad in the AudiWorld classifieds and also on craigslist, but have gotten no takers. I'm asking $399 for all four. Brand new on Tirerack.com they cost $300 each ($1,200 for 4).

I know people always want something for nothing, but I think this is a pretty good deal I'm offering.

markcincinnati 06-29-2010 07:01 AM

The right price, according to my dealer service manager is $300 for the set -- but since they do have SOME miles on them, perhaps the right price will have to include free shipping.

He commented, "most people who would be looking for this tire, would be wary of buying them sight unseen and the fact that they have some miles on them doesn't help."

He said they offer $75 per tire if the tires have not been driven on by the customer.

Don't know if this is standard and customary or a safety precaution -- I hate to be crude here, but used tires are like used condoms. The "yechh" factor and the "what if it has a weak sidewall" come into play and make most folks willing to pay full freight rather than take a chance.

smurfs 06-29-2010 07:34 AM

Where do you live?

jpinwdc 06-29-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by A4Driver (Post 23997289)
When I purchased my B8, I immediately purchased new all-season tires for it because I don't want the hassle of changing tires/rims every winter. I have the sport package and my car came with 18-inch Pirelli P7 summer tires.

The Pirellis have only about 2,000 gently-driven miles on them. In other words, they're like new. I put an ad in the AudiWorld classifieds and also on craigslist, but have gotten no takers. I'm asking $399 for all four. Brand new on Tirerack.com they cost $300 each ($1,200 for 4).

I know people always want something for nothing, but I think this is a pretty good deal I'm offering.

What all seasons did you get? How are they? How is the ride on city streets with the sport pkg?

Omeletpants 06-29-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by A4Driver (Post 23997289)

One of the reasons is the horror stories. I purchased a set of tires and wheels from someone here and he didn't tell me he had alignment problems. The tires were cupped and he refused to look at photos or independent report on condition. He ripped me off for $1000. That's why people are cautious.

Cabal_san 06-29-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Omeletpants (Post 23997361)
One of the reasons is the horror stories. I purchased a set of tires and wheels from someone here and he didn't tell me he had alignment problems. The tires were cupped and he refused to look at photos or independent report on condition. He ripped me off for $1000. That's why people are cautious.

Holy Crap! I hope you got them banned for pulling that kinda crap on here or at least called them out on the forums. eesh.

dk1 06-29-2010 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Omeletpants (Post 23997361)

2nd that. I would never buy used tires, even if they are free. Tires are one of the most critical components and it doesn't make sense to save a few $$.

I have seen numerous complaints about out of round Pirelli tires. There is no way to tell until you try to force balance them. Out of 4 OEMs on my car 3 were out of round. They looked perfect visually. I just hope they were destroyed and not sold to somebody as "gently used".

markcincinnati 06-29-2010 01:10 PM

How bout this, save them and when the lease is up, put the OE tires on and avoid the ding for tire wear?!

Omeletpants 06-29-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cabal_san (Post 23997376)
Holy Crap! I hope you got them banned for pulling that kinda crap on here or at least called them out on the forums. eesh.

No, when I exposed the guy he got all his friends to post on the forum that it was my fault and shout me down. I had pictures, a report from and Audi dealer and report from an independent tire dealer on the condition of the tires. This guy refused to call the dealers, look at the reports or the pictures. He refused to take any on my phone calls and answer anything besides the first couple of emails where he called me a liar.

Unlike EBay/paypal you have zero recourse on these forums. You do this stuff on faith and when a guy rips you off what can you do?

Cabal_san 06-29-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Omeletpants (Post 23997473)
No, when I exposed the guy he got all his friends to post on the forum that it was my fault and shout me down. I had pictures, a report from and Audi dealer and report from an independent tire dealer on the condition of the tires. This guy refused to call the dealers, look at the reports or the pictures. He refused to take any on my phone calls and answer anything besides the first couple of emails where he called me a liar.

Unlike EBay/paypal you have zero recourse on these forums. You do this stuff on faith and when a guy rips you off what can you do?

Ahh, explains why he never responded back if you had the drop on him. Wow, caveat emptor!!!!