A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 coding tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Any type of mod can void warranty. Having said that, chances are really slim. I'd be more afraid of getting a tune compared to small mods using obdeleven
Old 12-10-2016, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
There's a difference between hacking a $50 dollar phone and a $50,000 car.

I'm huge into phone stuff but when I saw that people actually tweak the brains of their cars I was like... um... ok... have fun.
its not like we are just deleting and rewriting lines of code that can affect safety and performance. These are just switching bits on or off, they are pre existing options that are already written in the code, you have a higher probability of bricking a phone via jail breaking or any kind of system coding than you would on a VAG car. But thank you for the holier than thou comment.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
There's a difference between hacking a $50 dollar phone and a $50,000 car.

I'm huge into phone stuff but when I saw that people actually tweak the brains of their cars I was like... um... ok... have fun.
Yeah, I agree with you, but still I understand that it is fun too. So to each their own, I think. Just be prepared for a backlash if you write anything even remotely critical of the people doing it. They are a little thin skinned.

Last edited by gguy; 12-10-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gguy
Yeah, I agree with you, but still I understand that it is fun too. So to each their own, I think. Just be prepared for a backlash if you write anything even remotely critical of the people doing it. They are a little thin skinned.
thats a little short sided, this thread is titled coding tweaks, what kind of response is he thinking he is going to get and what do you think we're going to give, everyone actually contributing to this thread is in favor of it so it's clear how we all feel about the coding.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
thats a little short sided, this thread is titled coding tweaks, what kind of response is he thinking he is going to get and what do you think we're going to give, everyone actually contributing to this thread is in favor of it so it's clear how we all feel about the coding.
Well Mitch, I was under the impression that when the thread is about coding tweaks, that that would include some people that would comment negatively about it and that their opinions were every bit as valid as any others. If you only want opinions that mirror yours you should make that clear in the first post, I guess. If you want to censor posts, I think that you are in for a difficult battle. I mean pretty much any topic that you post on will have some people that feel differently and want to add those opinions too. I didn't think that you were any different.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well Mitch, I was under the impression that when the thread is about coding tweaks, that that would include some people that would comment negatively about it and that their opinions were every bit as valid as any others. If you only want opinions that mirror yours you should make that clear in the first post, I guess. If you want to censor posts, I think that you are in for a difficult battle. I mean pretty much any topic that you post on will have some people that feel differently and want to add those opinions too. I didn't think that you were any different.
the funniest things about your posts are that you are so provavative and suggesting that people mean things that havent even been aulleded to. Everyone is welcome to have opinions and they're just as valid as everyone else's. But this is not a thread entitled "pros and cons of coding" or "is coding safe" or anything of the like. This is a thread that is compiled of a lot of people's hard work taking risks for the benefit of other users, so of course his comments are going to come under scrutiny because it's actually not relevant to the topic. If he or you want to rant about how you don't want to code your car then start an new thread where everyone whose contributed to these instructions doesn't have to get notified and we muddle the thread with petty arguments, but if you want to post some helpful coding please do contribute.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And ironically you guys pointing out a single comment that was off topic leads to an even longer and more off topic discussion than the original comment you guys are arguing about.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
the funniest things about your posts are that you are so provavative and suggesting that people mean things that havent even been aulleded to. Everyone is welcome to have opinions and they're just as valid as everyone else's. But this is not a thread entitled "pros and cons of coding" or "is coding safe" or anything of the like. This is a thread that is compiled of a lot of people's hard work taking risks for the benefit of other users, so of course his comments are going to come under scrutiny because it's actually not relevant to the topic. If he or you want to rant about how you don't want to code your car then start an new thread where everyone whose contributed to these instructions doesn't have to get notified and we muddle the thread with petty arguments, but if you want to post some helpful coding please do contribute.

No no, I don't want to upset you any more than you are. Carry on Mitch, just seems like a thread on coding should be a little cautious and it just honestly does not seem provocative to me to warn people about the potential to lose their warranty. Then, if they feel like the risk is worth that for the benefit then I'd think you'd feel better about giving them advice on how to do it. I'm honestly not trying to argue with you, it's fun to watch you guys play with the coding. I enjoy it but it just doesn't seem unreasonable for people that are going to dive in to be fairly warned. Same if you had a thread on APR tuning. Would seem reasonable to me to make it really clear about the TD1 possibility because some people may not be aware of that and may really care. It's really more of a responsible thing to do, at least to me. If you don't agree, well then you don't agree. You may think it's a no brainer that anyone would know that already but I guess i think that people that just tune in here and read several posts about coding may not know that and think it's ok or can't be "seen" by Audi. I simply think,it's a good idea for,them to know that before they code. But that's just me, I like people to make informed choices.

Last edited by gguy; 12-10-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Would seem reasonable to me to make it really clear about the TD1 possibility because some people may not be aware of that and may really care. It's really more of a responsible thing to do, at least to me. If you don't agree, well then you don't agree. You may think it's a no brainer that anyone would know that already but I guess i think that people that just tune in here and read several posts about coding may not know that and think it's ok or can't be "seen" by Audi. I simply think,it's a good idea for,them to know that before they code. But that's just me, I like people to make informed choices.
Not to keep this going but who died and left you their "Moderator" hat? It seems that you arent giving the people who read these threads any benefit to their intelligence. I highly doubt that anyone deciding to mod their cars actually do it without any forethought that if something goes wrong then they wont be at fault.

Stop going into threads trying to be the voice of reason for everyone. Like Mitch said, if you want to warn people about doing ANYTHING to their cars, create your own thread about it. In every single subforum here, theres a thread on how to code their cars. In those threads we discuss what has been done, what we are working on being done, and what we would like to figure out what can be done.

Lets just move on back to the topic and keep on coding. Dont feed the trolls.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Not to keep this going but who died and left you their "Moderator" hat? It seems that you arent giving the people who read these threads any benefit to their intelligence. I highly doubt that anyone deciding to mod their cars actually do it without any forethought that if something goes wrong then they wont be at fault.

Stop going into threads trying to be the voice of reason for everyone. Like Mitch said, if you want to warn people about doing ANYTHING to their cars, create your own thread about it. In every single subforum here, theres a thread on how to code their cars. In those threads we discuss what has been done, what we are working on being done, and what we would like to figure out what can be done.

Lets just move on back to the topic and keep on coding. Dont feed the trolls.
Well, who is the one trying to moderate? You pretty much jump on anyone who doesn't agree with anything that you say. You see, we can each just sit here and say the same thing. I pretty much will ignore your moderation attempts from here on as well as you, but I will continue to contribute information that I think can be helpful to anyone before they jump in and listen to you. I think that there are some people in the Racechip thread that could have used a little warning so I'll just add what I think is appropriate and not waste my time talking to you.

Quick Reply: 2017 A4 coding tweaks