A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:24 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
Positive. I know the ABS click. My pop happens at like 1-2mph, as in reversing or creeping forward after having sat for a while like overnight perhaps. Feels like something is settling in and popping back into place when braking as it shuffles itself back into place with the force of braking/momentum. Could this be the brakes? I don't remember this when I bought the car in October but then again it was very warm in October and now we're at 55-65F in LA.
I've noticed this too recently. It's like a weird noise immediately when the car first gets moving after having sat for a while. I really noticed it when I was visiting my parents and parked the car on an incline overnight.

Very different from the 40km/h ABS click.

I had presumed it had something to do with the DSG transmission? Maybe something isn't properly lubricated for a second or two after start-up?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiGal1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my car back last night from Service. Ahhh, it still smells new :-)

I also asked for a copy of the TSB and have uploaded it here for your reference. Go to the website for the demonstration of the noise.

When the replacement brake pads come in, I'll bring it back to Service. But for now, I get to enjoy it!

Brilliant Black Premium Plus with Technology & Sports package! Pretty sweet drive!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange popping noise / front end

Hmmm...I get a sound from the front as well. Usually happens when first moving the car after an extended period. Its not so much of a rattle as it is a pop (multiple). Kinda sounds like a spring popping back into place. Happens only when first moving the car from parked when applying the brakes slightly. Maybe 3-4 rapid knocks, very audible. Anyone else? Is this what you felt for this TSB?
I'm having the same exact noise coming from the front of my 1 month old A4 it only does it when first moving the car it like pops 4 or 5 times very rapidly just like your describing it. Good to hear I'm not the only one I was having a difficult time trying to describe it but you nailed it. Sounds like from the suspension or steering column/transmission travel just guessing. Taking it in for service asap.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jorgecopa
I'm having the same exact noise coming from the front of my 1 month old A4 it only does it when first moving the car it like pops 4 or 5 times very rapidly just like your describing it. Good to hear I'm not the only one I was having a difficult time trying to describe it but you nailed it. Sounds like from the suspension or steering column/transmission travel just guessing. Taking it in for service asap.
yea, I'm pretty sure we are talking about the Same thing. The key is that it only happens on initial movement and never again during regular course of driving. I park underground and it's very audible. Reminds me of a spring or tensile/metal being seated back in. I'm calling tomorrow to schedule a visit. Let's keep each other posted.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you guys hear this sound with the windows rolled up? I wonder why my car doesn't have these problems :O
Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes windows are up. It only happens when you first move the car its like something popping in to place. Does it 4 or 5 times very fast while backing up or moving forward only when you first move the car after sitting for awhile. Never in normal driving.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Positive. I know the ABS click. My pop happens at like 1-2mph, as in reversing or creeping forward after having sat for a while like overnight perhaps. Feels like something is settling in and popping back into place when braking as it shuffles itself back into place with the force of braking/momentum. Could this be the brakes? I don't remember this when I bought the car in October but then again it was very warm in October and now we're at 55-65F in LA.
Mine has exactly this issue too. I also perceive it as sounding like it's coming from the suspension, other times like it's traveling up the steering column.

I also occasionally hear slight pop coming from the steering column while driving at various rates of speed.

Last edited by fnarq; 01-06-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Do you guys hear this sound with the windows rolled up? I wonder why my car doesn't have these problems :O
Try this link for an example of the sound:

https://audi-external.kzoplatform.com/swf/player/322
Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Try this link for an example of the sound:

https://audi-external.kzoplatform.com/swf/player/322
Thank you. I'm going to go out now. Let me see if I hear this sound!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Car was parked for over 24hrs straight in the freezing cold. No sound whatsoever on initial start up and moving off.

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels