A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 A4 2.0T Oil Consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2018 A4 2.0T Oil Consumption?

I bought a 2018 A4 Premium Plus 6 speed manual about 8 months ago. Currently I'm at about 8900 miles, and I noticed on the digital read-out that my oil level is now dropped to 70-80%. The other day I checked it and it was even lower, about 60%. Sometimes, though, when I check it, the digital readout will display 100%, but I'm not sure why it will show that once in a while.

Anyway, I haven't had an oil change done yet, as I was told by Audi that it's every 10,000 miles under Audi Care so I'm coming up on it. However, seeing the engine consuming oil already at this mileage is very concerning. I called the dealership and they said it's normal. I know even in the manual Audi states that there will be a certain amount of oil consumed every 1000s of miles, but this is not a good sign that looks like it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

Has anyone else had oil consumption issues on the 17-18 A4s?
Old 09-18-2018, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No oil issues here, just curious if you get those readings while parked on hills? I run through that service menu while in my driveway and it said I was over-full. Moved to level ground and got a better reading.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not saying it is the case with this poster, but it seems lately there are a number of owners who do not know the basics of checking engine oil (a generational issue?). The OP here should make sure that he/she is following the procedure properly. Basically, make sure the engine is warm, then park on a level surface. Turn the engine off, then turn the ignition only back on. Wait 2 minutes then follow the MMI steps to check the level. If the car is not warm, if there is insufficient time after it became warm for the engine oil to drain back down to the oil pan (the reason for the 2 minute wait) or if the car is parked with one end higher than the other the reading could be way off. Of course, the engine oil should never be checked with the engine running.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am not saying it is the case with this poster, but it seems lately there are a number of owners who do not know the basics of checking engine oil (a generational issue?). The OP here should make sure that he/she is following the procedure properly. Basically, make sure the engine is warm, then park on a level surface. Turn the engine off, then turn the ignition only back on. Wait 2 minutes then follow the MMI steps to check the level. If the car is not warm, if there is insufficient time after it became warm for the engine oil to drain back down to the oil pan (the reason for the 2 minute wait) or if the car is parked with one end higher than the other the reading could be way off. Of course, the engine oil should never be checked with the engine running.
I agree. That and also using the search option. I know there are other oil related threads for the B9 A4, with similar concerns regarding oil consumption.

And to the OP. Yes. It does happen to me once in a while. The MMI shows a lower oil level (by low, I mean less than 100%) but then corrects itself later to 100%. Or you could go to ECS tuning and buy a dip stick for your B9 for around $63.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just wanted to add that it is normal that the oil level drops over the OP's period of 8,900 miles. How much depends on the car, the engine, the driver's style, load, etc. I have personally never owned a car (I am 76 & have owned and leased a lot of cars) that did not use at least a half a quart of oil (many much more) over almost 9,000 miles. It would bother me if my car used a quart every few hundred miles, but a quart every 4,000 or 5,000 miles in a car like the A4 would seem normal.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey thanks guys. I wasn't checking the oil correctly.

I drove the car home from work today, turned the engine off and turned on the battery and waited two minutes before I measured it. It showed full. Thanks irenesbob and company.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iggawiggy
Hey thanks guys. I wasn't checking the oil correctly.

I drove the car home from work today, turned the engine off and turned on the battery and waited two minutes before I measured it. It showed full. Thanks irenesbob and company.
You're quite welcome. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledge in many areas - many I don't know much about. Glad you were open to some ideas.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2017 A4 with 1200 miles....and its down about half quart...first oil change done at 6k and not down at all.Now ready for second oil change at 12 k and down half.It brothers me it down at that milage....if I complain to dealer the stock answer is ."its normal"...but I have never had a new car use any oil at this low milage. None have ever been German and none have ever had a turbo. I love this car...it just amazes me every day...but the oil thing is not good, making me nervous about German and turbo's.....would I buy another Audi...yes I would ! But not happy with the oil thing !
Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald Bruno
I have a 2017 A4 with 1200 miles....and its down about half quart...first oil change done at 6k and not down at all.Now ready for second oil change at 12 k and down half.It brothers me it down at that milage....if I complain to dealer the stock answer is ."its normal"...but I have never had a new car use any oil at this low milage. None have ever been German and none have ever had a turbo. I love this car...it just amazes me every day...but the oil thing is not good, making me nervous about German and turbo's.....would I buy another Audi...yes I would ! But not happy with the oil thing !
oil changes are 1 x per year or 10k miles whichever comes first per the factory guidelines

when an engine is brand new, it is not unusual to use a bit of oil - 1/2 quart in 6k miles is not at all concerning, nor unusual, and well within a margin of error. As engines break in, which is fully done at around the 10k mile mark for most people, fuel economy increases, consumption decreases

Old 09-21-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald Bruno
Most B8 A4s consume 1 qt per 2500 miles or more (far more), so your effective rate of 1 qt per 12000 miles is still very reasonable. Audi considers any consumption that is less than 1 qt per 1200 miles to be normal.

Quick Reply: 2018 A4 2.0T Oil Consumption?