A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 A4 - Is Tire rotation needed at 5K?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A4 - Is Tire rotation needed at 5K?

Hi. We recently bought a 2018 CPO A4 QUATTRO with 3K miles only, Premium Plus pkg with the SLINE trim.

At 5K miles, does it need a tire rotation like any other car or just wait for the 10K miles maintenance?

One dealer said no need to rotate & another said to rotate.. :-(

The manual does not say anything either..

The A4 came with the Pirelli P7 all season tires.

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy2HaveAudi
Hi. We recently bought a 2018 CPO A4 QUATTRO with 3K miles only, Premium Plus pkg with the SLINE trim.

At 5K miles, does it need a tire rotation like any other car or just wait for the 10K miles maintenance?

Thank you.
I think it is a matter of personal preference. Audi recommends it at 10K miles as you say (and it is included in Audi Care) but there is nothing to say it would not be prudent to rotate the tires earlier if you feel that your driving style, passenger and luggage loads and other factors have resulted in the fronts and rears already wearing at significantly different rates. I am into my 6th leased Audi since 2005 and have always stayed with whatever interval is recommended since all am looking for is to get the car to 2 or 3 years without having to replace tires, and so far have been successful in achieving that. Had I owned, I might have done a more frequent rotation. I would ad that I once asked for the tries to be balanced at about 28K miles on a 36-month 36K mile lease expecting to pay for the rotation but the dealer did it at no charge.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is in owner's manual 2017 (Wheels section):
"Tire rotation
Rotating the tires regularly is recommended
to ensure the tires
wear evenly. To rotate the tries,
install the tires from the rear axle
on the front axle and vice versa."
This will allow the tires to have
approximately the same length of
service life."

For me, "regularly" means when I shift between summer/winter tires.
(Altough a quattro might wear more evenly than 2WD, there is a difference.)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy2HaveAudi

Thank you.
I think it really comes down to driving style and where you live. Here in NJ where every turn is an on/off-ramp or roundabout, the fronts wear a lot faster so I typically rotate every 5k. If I lived in a state that was pretty flat and wasnt turning all the time, Id probably stick with 10k. It cant hurt you to rotate the tires too often. It takes me 20 minutes in the garage and I do it when I get bored sometimes.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you!
Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with the others. It depends on your driving style, conditions, what kind of surface u drive on etc. I usually do it every 5k miles.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I think it is a matter of personal preference. Audi recommends it at 10K miles as you say (and it is included in Audi Care) but there is nothing to say it would not be prudent to rotate the tires earlier if you feel that your driving style, passenger and luggage loads and other factors have resulted in the fronts and rears already wearing at significantly different rates. I am into my 6th leased Audi since 2005 and have always stayed with whatever interval is recommended since all am looking for is to get the car to 2 or 3 years without having to replace tires, and so far have been successful in achieving that. Had I owned, I might have done a more frequent rotation. I would ad that I once asked for the tries to be balanced at about 28K miles on a 36-month 36K mile lease expecting to pay for the rotation but the dealer did it at no charge.
Tire rotations are NOT included with Audi Care on the B9. (If your dealer includes it, just enjoy it and don't question it.)
My stock Pirelli P7 all-seasons were rotated every 10k miles and replaced at 40k miles. Interestingly, after installing new Michelin PS A/S 3+ tires, both tire installer (Costco) and my Audi service advisor recommended 5k rotations. Which Costco will do for free. [I always figured AWD cars required fewer rotations and asked both Costco and my Audi service advisor if 10k was ok, both said "no, 5k!"]

Last edited by lowjdml; 02-27-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lowjdml
Tire rotations are NOT included with Audi Care on the B9. (If your dealer includes it, just enjoy it and don't question it.)
My stock Pirelli P7 all-seasons were rotated every 10k miles and replaced at 40k miles. Interestingly, after installing new Michelin PS A/S 3+ tires, both tire installer (Costco) and my Audi service advisor recommended 5k rotations. Which Costco will do for free. [I always figured AWD cars required fewer rotations and asked both Costco and my Audi service advisor if 10k was ok, both said "no, 5k!"]
Thank you for the tip!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Quick tire wear observation: I just visited a local Discount Tire place and asked them to rotate and balance my tires. The wait was over an hour and they did say that if the tires wear evenly than there is no need. The guy went outside with me and all 4 corners were 8/32. Decided not to wait and left. Plus it took multiple visits to get the car balanced properly and decided not to mess with anything. Tires went down to 8/32 in about 7K miles. Seems quicker than what I'm used to, but its hard not to have fun in the car
Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I rotate mine every 5k miles. Besides maintaining even tire wear, it gives me a chance to wax & seal the wheel barrels and detail the wheel wells. Yes, a little OCD makes for a very clean car.

Quick Reply: 2018 A4 - Is Tire rotation needed at 5K?