A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 Audi A4 - Traffic Sign Info Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Audi A4 - Traffic Sign Info Question

Hello. I have the traffic sign feature in our A4 but it does not seem to work.

It could no detect any traffic signs. Per manual as long as the you have the front camera by the windshield you have this feature.

I took it to the audi dealer and dealer confirmed the car does have this feature.

I drove around with the mechanic so he can check it out and was at a loss as well as to why traffic signs were not displaying.

He checked the settings but there was nothing to set.

Dealer is now checking with Audi corp.

Does anyone have the same issue? Is there a setting somewhere perhaps that should be activated?

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Do you have driver assistance? That's the only way the traffic sign feature works.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Do you have driver assistance? That's the only way the traffic sign feature works.
Yes I do. thank you.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Happy2HaveAudi
Yes I do. thank you.
Never mind...I read the manual again and found below setting..

Our A4 only has the speed warning setting..

Old 03-11-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a Prestige A4 with Driver Assistance, you should have this feature. Do you have adaptive cruise control? That feature is in the same package. If you have it, you should have traffic sign recognition.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It was strange but I had rented a 2018 Q5 and drove it to Las Vegas, that traffic sign tab would tell me how much longer the light would be red or how much longer the light would stay green for. When I got back to LA, it no longer worked or I guess our lights here don't transmit that feature. The red light time would even show at the bottom of the VC when you were stopped at the lights.... It was pretty cool and I wish I took a picture of it. The Q5 we had rented (from Silvercar) was a base premium model with nav and VC (No sunroof even).

Other than that, I've never seen anything in the traffic sign tab with all the Audis I've driven with the VC. The list: My current 2017 A4 P+, the 2018 Q5 rental, Audi is currently let me drive a 2018 Q5 P+ for a loaner and my wife just bought a 2018 Q5 P+ with warm weather package (the loaner trick worked..)

I thought you could code the sign recognition to work on even the base cars.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

The red light countdown is a Audi connect services feature, you have to be subscribed to that AND the feature has to be supported by the local infrastructure. The traffic sign recognition basically displays the speed limit read by the camera, you don't need Audi connect for that. I believe it is standard on the Prestige trim but can be enabled on US spec P+ trims with a Kufatec dongle and other means.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
The red light countdown is a Audi connect services feature, you have to be subscribed to that AND the feature has to be supported by the local infrastructure. The traffic sign recognition basically displays the speed limit read by the camera, you don't need Audi connect for that. I believe it is standard on the Prestige trim but can be enabled on US spec P+ trims with a Kufatec dongle and other means.
Both P+ with VC and Prestiege have “traffic light information” standard. It’s not displaying any information for the OP because its not available in his city yet, just like the 90% rest of us. “Traffic sign recognition” is a different feature standard on prestige but it can be enabled via dongle as mentioned if you have virtual cockpit and front facing camera above the windshield. Neither feature requires connect subscription.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by black.cat

Both P+ with VC and Prestiege have “traffic light information” standard. It’s not displaying any information for the OP because its not available in his city yet, just like the 90% rest of us. “Traffic sign recognition” is a different feature standard on prestige but it can be enabled via dongle as mentioned if you have virtual cockpit and front facing camera above the windshield. Neither feature requires connect subscription.
That is incorrect, traffic light info DOES require an active AC Prime subscription.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
That is incorrect, traffic light info DOES require an active AC Prime subscription.
I digress.. you are correct, PRIME is required. I recall reading a user in DC had traffic light info working with an expired PRIME subscription, but I guess not

So it’s a major Audi connect feature you pay big money for, but can’t even use it outside the few US cities and intersections where it’s deployed? That’s a fail.