A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Safety System: Malfunction!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety System: Malfunction!

New user here. Registered to post this comment and become a member of this forum that i've lurked through for years. Previous car was a 2008 Audi A4 B7 and a couple months ago upgraded to the 2017 A4 Premium Plus Quattro. I have loved every single thing about this car, until yesterday evening. I was driving home with a passenger and all of a sudden the dash started to beep constantly saying "Safety System: Malfunction!" while the airbag warning light was active. It beeped at me maybe 10 times, turning the airbag light on and off until it finally stayed off for the remainder of the trip. This morning I got the same Malfunction! warning just once and decided to take it into the dealership. The car is still absolutely under warranty (only 9,000 miles) so i'm not worried about any possible expensive fixes.
The technician at the dealership told me that my car was experiencing an airbag malfunction and because of that, they would not let the car leave the facility until it was fixed. They provided a loaner but I'm quite nervous about the possibility of having purchased a lemon.

Has anyone else had a similar airbag problem on the 2017 A4? The tech said they had no estimate on how long it would take to fix until they heard back from Audi on how to proceed. I will of course update this post as I learn more.

I did all the maintenance and repairs on my old A4 and this forum was extremely helpful in diagnosing problems, so I'm glad to be an actual member now. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I seriously doubt you purchased a lemon. Cars of full of electronic equipment and things can and will go wrong. If they diagnosed it to a bad airbag, then let them do their thing and call it a day. If it continues, then that's another issue but your response is a bit extreme IMPO.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Turns out it is a faulty passenger seat. Must have had something to do with the weight sensor activating/deactivating the passenger airbag. IMPO there was nothing extreme about my response but thanks for the reply!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To claim a lemon after one instance, to me, is a bit extreme but happy they got it figured out.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ilotek
Turns out it is a faulty passenger seat. Must have had something to do with the weight sensor activating/deactivating the passenger airbag. IMPO there was nothing extreme about my response but thanks for the reply!
I'm having the same error with my passenger seat, did they give you an ETA on when the seat will arrive? I was told it has to be ordered from Germany.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The seat was backordered, eta 1 month.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2017 had the airbag light and error message come on at less than 50 miles. They said some module was shorted out. Never had an issue after that, but I'm only at 7,000 miles.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They also decided to do the 70G6 recall campaign which is just removing the metal B&O plates over the 4 door speakers. When I bring my car back in once the new seat arrives they will put the new B&O decorative plates on.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car had this issue the day after I took delivery back in April. Freaked me out as well. They hooked it up to their computers and ended up needing to re-flash the computer system and everything was fine after that. I think that's what they said they did. Basically like a minor glitch, no safety issue was happening. You may want to mention that to your dealer - mine said it was the first time they had seen that at their dealership.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KK in CT
Basically like a minor glitch, no safety issue was happening. You may want to mention that to your dealer
The tech mentioned something about resetting the system and so for the error has not come back but they still said they needed to replace the entire passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Safety System: Malfunction!