A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 map update seems out

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by securityguy
I think I read somewhere that you get 5 updates and they come out every 6 months. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
That matches the text on the Audi Web page for the maps. But since they don't seem to be tied to a unique VIN, we all need to keep in touch with friends buying newer cars so we can install their updates.

Or, you might have a friendlier dealer than mine.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
That matches the text on the Audi Web page for the maps. But since they don't seem to be tied to a unique VIN, we all need to keep in touch with friends buying newer cars so we can install their updates.

Or, you might have a friendlier dealer than mine.
As stated, if you are saying go beyond 5 updates then you can't, as well as myAudi the MMI will know how many times you have done this...
Old 11-15-2017, 07:29 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cuke2u
As stated, if you are saying go beyond 5 updates then you can't, as well as myAudi the MMI will know how many times you have done this...
How would the car know if you install a 6th update from a friend? I don't think it would be able to tell that you got it that way rather than paying $$$ for it in myAudi...
Old 11-15-2017, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VM
How would the car know if you install a 6th update from a friend? I don't think it would be able to tell that you got it that way rather than paying $$$ for it in myAudi...
There is probably some code in the downloaded map files that tie it to your mmi/Vin. Since you have to enter your login details when downloading the maps. Are you able to install the maps if from someone else's map files download?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
As I stated, the MMI will know how many updates you've used as it is linked back to the Audi servers. Not only that but it is in breach of Audi's terms and conditions, thus illegal.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bengtc
There is probably some code in the downloaded map files that tie it to your mmi/Vin. Since you have to enter your login details when downloading the maps. Are you able to install the maps if from someone else's map files download?
The map download is not tied to your VIN - you can put the SD card in another car and it works just fine.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:35 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cuke2u
As I stated, the MMI will know how many updates you've used as it is linked back to the Audi servers. Not only that but it is in breach of Audi's terms and conditions, thus illegal.
How is the MMI linked back to the Audi servers if you have a car without the Audi connect cellular hardware?
Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VM
Mine decided to work today without me doing anything wrong. Maybe a server it was trying to connect to was unhappy yesterday.

I just finished downloading the map update now. It was strangely fast compared to the previous times...
I downloaded and installed mine yesterday and the download was much faster than the last time too. It took right at 1 hour vs. about 2 hours the last time. Loading the update in-car took a little over 30 minutes.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had any success doing the update via USB or are you all just using an SD card?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by securityguy
Has anyone had any success doing the update via USB or are you all just using an SD card?
I used an SD card. No experience with a USB in the Audi (I did use a USB in our BMW though).

Quick Reply: 2018 map update seems out