A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2019 A4 Premium Trim - Upgrade the Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 A4 Premium Trim - Upgrade the Daytime Running Lights?

I recently leased a brand new 2019 A4. It is the Premium trim and I was disappointed to see that the normally awesome looking daytime running lights are very plain (see example photo below) when compared to the Premium Plus trim. Is it possible to upgrade the DRL's to the ones that are on the Premium Plus trim (or at least something more 'Audi' looking)? If yes, how? I'm pretty surprised that they would have such plain DRL's considering how everyone associates awesome looking DRL's as 'Audi Lights,' the dealership even had a T-shirt which had a bunch of different DRL profiles on it. Long time Audi owner (2007 A4, 2 2010 A4's), new to customizing them and never had a brand new one though. Thanks!

My car - super plain DRLs.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by photogamer
I recently leased a brand new 2019 A4. It is the Premium trim and I was disappointed to see that the normally awesome looking daytime running lights are very plain (see example photo below) when compared to the Premium Plus trim. Is it possible to upgrade the DRL's to the ones that are on the Premium Plus trim (or at least something more 'Audi' looking)? If yes, how? I'm pretty surprised that they would have such plain DRL's considering how everyone associates awesome looking DRL's as 'Audi Lights,' the dealership even had a T-shirt which had a bunch of different DRL profiles on it. Long time Audi owner (2007 A4, 2 2010 A4's), new to customizing them and never had a brand new one though. Thanks!
You'd have to upgrade your whole headlight assemblies to the full LED units. Unfortunately the headlights are ridiculously expensive, and would require some wiring and coding modifications to work.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It’s doable but costly.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

It's a lease. Is he entitled to do this?
I hate the B9 A4 standard headlights. Just plain ugly.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
It's a lease. Is he entitled to do this?
I hate the B9 A4 standard headlights. Just plain ugly.
You are not supposed to modify a lease but if you had these higher end OEM headlights professionally installed I am not sure that they would notice it when you turned the car in at the end of the lease. But they would be perfectly within their rights to require that you return the car to stock. If you plan to buy out the lease at the end then it is a non-issue.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Having just lost one in a collision, I can confirm that the LED headlight assemblies cost $2,500 each.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Group B
Having just lost one in a collision, I can confirm that the LED headlight assemblies cost $2,500 each.
Holy ****! I knew they'd be astronomically expensive, but I was still guessing lower than that.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by volcomic
Holy ****! I knew they'd be astronomically expensive, but I was still guessing lower than that.
Hehe and take into consideration labor charges and yea. Might as well sap the car for a higher model.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Hehe and take into consideration labor charges and yea. Might as well sap the car for a higher model.
Seriously though. You could literally trade it in on a higher end model for a similar price difference, and probably pick up a few other features in the process
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Group B
This must have been one of the “expensive replacement cost items” my insurance company was talking about when I called to inquire as to why my collision coverage was a little high. Wow.

Quick Reply: 2019 A4 Premium Trim - Upgrade the Daytime Running Lights?