A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2020 Facelift Preview

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Isn't there a big giant touchpad thing ahead of the shifter?

As for the piano black... I wonder what North American-spec cars will have. This could be some special S-Line something or other interiors for other markets.

I wonder if one of these is in my future... it seems kinda boring to replace my A4 with another A4 at the end of the lease, but I don't know what else I'd get since I definitely can't afford a 3.0T A6 and I'm not sure the rest of the market has changed such that the competition would make sense... I wonder if the Q5 will have this new interior stuff by MY2020...
From what I've seen in the video it's a small storage space, the infotainment is touchscreen only, bad decision imo.

I think the piano black is going to be standard through out the line-up, because it's not a trim option (the part where you can change from aluminum to carbon fiber).

We've seen car reviews praising Audi for not putting the piano black in the A4/5 interior, and yet Audi decide to put it in the refresh, to the place where you will be touching a lot.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very strange shift in styling. The lower, front side intakes have SIX different shapes within them. Way too sloppy and busy.
The LED headlights are now dotted and disconnected. Busier and less clean lighting. But the overall shape of the headlights is more formal. Never was a fan of the jagged look.
The new mailslot above the grille is a visual stress. It's too small to catch the eye at a quick glance, yet just big enough to mess with it if noticed. Mostly, it just comes across as body panels that have too big of a gap.
The fragmented character line is absolutely horrible. No car has ever had such a sloppy and disjointed side line. That is a look GM could have come up with during the 90's on some of their worst sedans.
Rear lights are finally cleaned up. Have been hating the diagonal backup lights since new, and it's finally gone. So much cleaner back there. But again... dotted LED's are busy and borderline construction zone lighting.
Still using an old-style steering wheel hub. That thing should be retired for something more modern and integrated. Steering hubs are ugly devices (airbag) that should be disguised, not exaggerated.
Still don't care for the tacked on nav screen. Integration has always been an Audi strong suit, but this car lacks it in many areas.
New electronic gauge cluster is very cool. Simple bar graph for the tach, with speedo below it. This is exactly the type of digital dash Nissan used in the 80's and it was a neat set-up.
Good luck getting a medium, sporty blue on an S-Line or S4 here in the states. Continual fake advertising during press releases.
Overall, it's another hit and miss job, like the last facelift. The car has a flabbier, less crisp look. I still hold Audi up on top, but they are a very frustrating company.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The "mail slot" above the grill will be a bug catcher.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That info screen is to BIG. Overall, underwhelming at best.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just remind me of Kia Kona...

I prefer the old grill.. but I do dig the new light pattern
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Same MMI size but bezel-less to 10 or 11 inches is a miss opportunity for Audi.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted this on a different forum, but I'll reiterate it here:

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, or a biased one because I have a MY2017, but this facelift... kind of sucks?
  1. The headlights internals look worse than the previous Matrix LED lights. better than the others though.
  2. The external shape of the headlights is far less aggressive and interesting than the previous ones
  3. The fake air inlet above the bumper, and between the headlights completely breaks the clean and "one piece" look Audi has been touting.
  4. The grill is starting to look more akin to a Ford Focus than and Audi
  5. The erasure of the crease that used to run along the doors, and essentially stretch all around the car is gone, making this weird "void" where the doors are.
  6. The chrome trim on the boot lid just doesnt look like a good fit to me.
  7. Interior is pretty much the same, besides the touch screen which would just get finger prints and annoy me.
What happened to the subtle yet powerful presence? Oof.

Some pictures to illustrate my point:

Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeHawk
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, or a biased one because I have a MY2017, but this facelift... kind of sucks?
  1. The headlights internals look worse than the previous Matrix LED lights. better than the others though.
  2. The external shape of the headlights is far less aggressive and interesting than the previous ones
  3. The fake air inlet above the bumper, and between the headlights completely breaks the clean and "one piece" look Audi has been touting.
  4. The grill is starting to look more akin to a Ford Focus than and Audi
  5. The erasure of the crease that used to run along the doors, and essentially stretch all around the car is gone, making this weird "void" where the doors are.
  6. The chrome trim on the boot lid just doesnt look like a good fit to me.
  7. Interior is pretty much the same, besides the touch screen which would just get finger prints and annoy me.
What happened to the subtle yet powerful presence? Oof.
100% agree with all of these points.

Another thing I just noticed is that the mesh in the grille is now so large that the rings nearly blend into it, especially with the chrome "puddle" in the bottom of each honeycomb. And man, those silver circles at the bottom corners of the bumper look even worse from the side.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They've added so many unnecessary trim pieces. Audi stop! you dont have to compete with the G20.. you already won!

Quick Reply: 2020 Facelift Preview