A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A4 Avant 2019 Amp Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A4 Avant 2019 Amp Installation

Hi there -

I’ve done a tonne of Googling and attempting to contact audio installers in New Zealand to understand how to install a line out converter in my 2019 A4 Avant. It has the standard audio system, no B&O, and I’m wanting to install a second amp and subwoofer into the car.

I do not want to affect or change the current factory audio setup, I just need a way to get a signal out from the factory amp to a new amp that I’m going to install and then a sub. I’m pretty well versed in installing audio equipment and it really helps that the battery is in the boot making the power to the new amp very easy.

what I’m needing advice on is:

1) What’s the best way, and if possible instructions, on getting a signal out of the factory amp that will still allow the amp to work as it is today
2) Where can I find an ignition triggered power supply in the boot so my line of converter won’t be on when the car is off (the line out converter can then be a signal switch for the new amp too)
3) Is it best to use a line out converter or should I be looking to use something else in this setup?
4) I’m really trying to avoid removing any paneling or covers or anything from the car in order to set this up. I’ve done heaps of Japanese audio installs but I’m not confident, and can not find instructions online, on how to remove stuff from the Audi, so doing the above seems like the easiest option as I think the factory amp is on the left of the boot??
5) If I do use a line of converter, will the power of the signal to my new amp increased and decrease with the volume of the factory audio? Meaning if I set the gains properly on the new amp, everything is controlled by just turning up the volume in the car? It would be great to run an amp control to the front of the car but that would involve removing panels and fittings in the car to get a cable to the front console which as I said above I want to avoid at all costs.

Thanks in advance
-James
Old 06-28-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

1, 2, 3 & 5: Look into a line out converter like the LC2i which has a built in signal sensing feature that will turn on your amp (no need for an ignition triggered source). Cut the factory subwoofers speaker wires and run them right into the line out converter. Changing the volume of the car will affect the signal into the line out converter, but the line out converter is designed to take whatever input signal you give it and keep an even source signal to your amp.

4: Removing panels in an Audi isn't any harder than any other car. I'm not personally familiar with the panels in a B9 Avant, but my sedan was a breeze to take apart, as was my B7 Avant before this. I'll look around online to see if I can find you some how-to instructions.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by volcomic
1, 2, 3 & 5: Look into a line out converter like the LC2i which has a built in signal sensing feature that will turn on your amp (no need for an ignition triggered source). Cut the factory subwoofers speaker wires and run them right into the line out converter. Changing the volume of the car will affect the signal into the line out converter, but the line out converter is designed to take whatever input signal you give it and keep an even source signal to your amp.
Thanks Volcomic. Only thing is I’m not too sure whether the car has a factory sub or how to get to the wiring if there is one. Any idea where I could get a wiring diagram or find out? Keep in mind because it’s an Avant there’s no parcel tray at the back like there is in a sedan.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JStew
Thanks Volcomic. Only thing is I’m not too sure whether the car has a factory sub or how to get to the wiring if there is one. Any idea where I could get a wiring diagram or find out? Keep in mind because it’s an Avant there’s no parcel tray at the back like there is in a sedan.
I know in some of the 5 series sport-back variants of the B9, as well as several of Audi's SUV's the sub is in the spare tire well. Pull up the floor and take a look. Also, the panels on either side of the trunk area are easily removable. Take 'em off and have a peek around. In the sedan the amp is located on the left side of the trunk. If the sub's in the spare tire well along with your battery, it'll be the easiest installation ever.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know in some of the 5 series sport-back variants of the B9, as well as several of Audi's SUV's the sub is in the spare tire well. Pull up the floor and take a look. Also, the panels on either side of the trunk area are easily removable. Take 'em off and have a peek around. In the sedan the amp is located on the left side of the trunk. If the sub's in the spare tire well along with your battery, it'll be the easiest installation ever.
It appears there’s no factory sub. Still no closer to understanding where to find the factory amp or how to remove the paneling in the boot
Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JStew
It appears there’s no factory sub. Still no closer to understanding where to find the factory amp or how to remove the paneling in the boot
Hmm. Well you really don't need to find the amp. You can tap into the speaker wires on whatever rear speaker's easiest to get to. The rest of the line-level converter / amplifier installation is the same as mentioned earlier.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hmm. Well you really don't need to find the amp. You can tap into the speaker wires on whatever rear speaker's easiest to get to. The rest of the line-level converter / amplifier installation is the same as mentioned earlier.
Thanks. So where can I find where the rear speakers cables run through to easily tap into them?