A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A4 B9 6MT Problem shifting due to reverse lockout?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A4 B9 6MT Problem shifting due to reverse lockout?

Hi!

Just pucked up a used 2017 A4 Premium 6MT. I have owned 2 prior VAG 6MT cars, and this one is killing me. If I appy any pressure to the left when shifting into 1st or 2nd, it moves into the reverse chute and wont go into 1st or 2nd. It feels like the reverse lockout gate is misadjusted. Is that even possible? is that an adjustable thing?

If you have a 6MT B9, does yours act that way too? I test drove a used B8 before buying this, and I noticed a little of the same behavior, so maybe this is just how newer Audi's are? once it jets jammed like that it takes me a few seconds to return to neuitral and try again - making traffic behind me none-too-happy!

Thoughts (other than learn how to shift ? this is my 3rd VAG manual and my 10th or 11th 6MT car, and never had this problem ever.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues here with MT. It will not go into reverse unless you jam it down, then left and forward. I would take it to the dealer for a look see. Probably an adjustment of some sort is in order. Mine is a 2018 Prestige.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I had an issue when my VW Polo was brand new where it would refuse to shift out of or into R from neutral because of the shift lock. But it became fine after a few thousand kilometers. Never had that issue with other VWs. I haven’t driven the A4 manual so I don’t know.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really have to focus on pushing it down for reverse. Just push to left and go up to 1st, no issue.
IMO you have an issue
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Doesn’t sound normal to me. My reverse is only when pushing down on the shifter. Get it checked out
Old 08-10-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have issues with my 2nd gear. I often get locked into 2nd gear, clutch pedal all the way down and it still won't let me shift into neutral (or 3rd). Sometimes I have to grind out or depress my clutch a 2nd time and finesse it out slowly. Not fun in traffic or high speed limit roads. Been honked at and almost smashed into before many times.

My pre sense also sucks. Almost killed me twice on 2 lane roads above 40mph.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

King have you resolved the issue with your car? I am having the exact same issue with my car but it happens very infrequently and randomly. My wife thinks I am making it up but it scares the crap out of me when it happens. My presense issue was seemingly resolved though as part of the SOS malfunction bug. Transmission is really bothering me though

Originally Posted by KingQuattro
I have issues with my 2nd gear. I often get locked into 2nd gear, clutch pedal all the way down and it still won't let me shift into neutral (or 3rd). Sometimes I have to grind out or depress my clutch a 2nd time and finesse it out slowly. Not fun in traffic or high speed limit roads. Been honked at and almost smashed into before many times.

My pre sense also sucks. Almost killed me twice on 2 lane roads above 40mph.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I never was able to fix the issue. Did road tests with the dealership and replicated the issue, they didn't want to open the transmission and do a big repair job so they told me everything they could to avoid repairing it. I had the issue since 200 miles. I got tired of taking it in and getting no for an answer in different dealers.

If Audi techs don't give a damn, why should I? I just grinded out when I needed to - mine was a lease. The transmissions on these A4s are not made to handle more power in my opinion. It feels as if they are capped out on the power. I got rid of the car because I was tired of these problems, I miss it in some ways but in many ways, it was terrible.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AbnormallyAspirated
Hi!

If you have a 6MT B9, does yours act that way too? I test drove a used B8 before buying this, and I noticed a little of the same behavior, so maybe this is just how newer Audi's are?
My '18 6MT B9 (Ultra Sport) does not have this issue. The only problem I have is (me) switching between its gear pattern and my '85 5MT RX7. I often try to shift to the wrong place for reverse in both cars - and once tried to shift into 6th on the 5MT, which would be reverse on the 5MT and disastrous - luckily the transmission is setup to prevent that...
Old 10-22-2021, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AbnormallyAspirated
Hi!

Just pucked up a used 2017 A4 Premium 6MT. I have owned 2 prior VAG 6MT cars, and this one is killing me. If I appy any pressure to the left when shifting into 1st or 2nd, it moves into the reverse chute and wont go into 1st or 2nd. It feels like the reverse lockout gate is misadjusted. Is that even possible? is that an adjustable thing?
I know it was a few years ago, but I was wondering if you managed to get to the bottom of this, AbnormallyAspirated? I’m dealing with what seems like the exact same issue. Thanks.