A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A4 Quattro Chip Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Quattro Chip Tuning

Hi! I have a 2018 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro and a friend of mine recommended getting a tuning chip. I've been reading online about several kinds (APR, RacingChip, etc) but curious to know: is this worth it/recommended? does it void the warranty? do they actually work?
Old 04-05-2019, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

They do work.

It will void the engine warranty if detected by the dealer.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
They do work.

It will void the engine warranty if detected by the dealer.
That is not completely true. It is entirely up to the dealer, they wont just automatically void your warranty. My dealer knows I have all my mods but has not voided anything. Just ask your dealer what you can and cannot do that they are ok with. On a side note, thats why a lot of people do the piggyback tunes, you can remove them whenever you have to go into service and they are undetectable.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
That is not completely true. It is entirely up to the dealer, they wont just automatically void your warranty. My dealer knows I have all my mods but has not voided anything. Just ask your dealer what you can and cannot do that they are ok with. On a side note, thats why a lot of people do the piggyback tunes, you can remove them whenever you have to go into service and they are undetectable.
For mods that cannot be detected by a scan tool e.g. a different set of brakes or even an exhaust or (as you said) even a piggy back in some cases, sure. But when it comes to ECU tuning e.g. those from APR, it is simply not the dealer's call. An ECU flash will be detected by Audi's official scan tools the moment they hook the scanner to the car, and that flash gets flagged in the central worldwide database automatically when the dealer scans the car and the dealer has no way of overriding. Furthermore, the dealer is required to scan the car and follow procedures in order to receive payment from Audi corporate for many types of warranty services so no matter how chill they may be about performance mods, there is simply no way around this. Some dealers may even warn you that what you're about to claim will require a scan and likely flag the car.

Example, suppose a turbo bearing fails. Your dealer will not see a dollar from the "Audi corporate warranty payout department" unless they submit that claim a specific way so they can get reimbursed for the part and pay the tech; a scan of the car will be required as part of that claim and the scan will detect any ECU reflashes.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
For mods that cannot be detected by a scan tool e.g. a different set of brakes or even an exhaust or (as you said) even a piggy back in some cases, sure. But when it comes to ECU tuning e.g. those from APR, it is simply not the dealer's call. An ECU flash will be detected by Audi's official scan tools the moment they hook the scanner to the car, and that flash gets flagged in the central worldwide database automatically when the dealer scans the car and the dealer has no way of overriding. Furthermore, the dealer is required to scan the car and follow procedures in order to receive payment from Audi corporate for many types of warranty services so no matter how chill they may be about performance mods, there is simply no way around this. Some dealers may even warn you that what you're about to claim will require a scan and likely flag the car.

Example, suppose a turbo bearing fails. Your dealer will not see a dollar from the "Audi corporate warranty payout department" unless they submit that claim a specific way so they can get reimbursed for the part and pay the tech; a scan of the car will be required as part of that claim and the scan will detect any ECU reflashes.
Yes, I should have clarified my post saying that ECU tunes will most likely be flagged, and warranty "POSSIBLY" voided. Leading to why most people do the piggy-back tunes.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone help me understand the piggy-back tune options for our A4? I'm not quite sure of the differences.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

The piggy back tricks the ECU into thinking it's running less boost than it is. It basically goes between the sensors and the ECU.