A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A few questions from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from a new owner

Got a 2018 a4 recently and breaking it in. Had a number of questions based on my experiences so far.

1 - Fuel Consumption
When I refueled the display said I had 630km left to drive but less than 50km of driving later it says I've got 490km left. Surely my driving can't be eating up fuel that badly (i don't do a lot of heavy stops or accelerations) ? Is the display wrong or is there something I'm missing here?

2 - Is there a way to turn on the front camera on demand? Sometimes I want to turn on the camera when parking it in the garage to see how close I'm getting to the back and it's 50/50 with whether or not the camera activates. How do I activate it manually?

3 - My owners manual says 15k km first service but after I break in the engine that first batch of oil is very messy right? Should I not get an oil change much sooner? Currently at 500km.

4 - Audi drive select, how bad is the Dynamic mode fuel consumption compared to Comfort?
Old 01-06-2018, 06:05 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman316
When I refueled the display said I had 630km left to drive but less than 50km of driving later it says I've got 490km left. Surely my driving can't be eating up fuel that badly (i don't do a lot of heavy stops or accelerations) ? Is the display wrong or is there something I'm missing here?
The range display is based on the fuel consumption in the last ... I don't know how long... of driving. Couple of gas tanks or thousands of kilometers at least.

Let me give you an example. Let's say I fill up the car and go on a long highway trip after a while in the city. Range meter might say 600km when I leave. I fill it up reaching the destination, and it will now say 750km. I turn around and drive back home, fill up when I get home, it will say 890km.

Then, as I start driving in the city again, the fuel consumption is much, much, much higher than the ~6L/100km that the 890km estimate was based on, so range will drop precipitously as the car realizes that gas is being burned faster than expected. (Keep in mind that in downtown Toronto, 15-18L/100km is normal... compared to 6 on the highway).

2 - Is there a way to turn on the front camera on demand? Sometimes I want to turn on the camera when parking it in the garage to see how close I'm getting to the back and it's 50/50 with whether or not the camera activates. How do I activate it manually?
Push the parking assist button to manually turn on the parking aids. It's one of the buttons on that row of buttons with drive select and the start-stop system on/off.

3 - My owners manual says 15k km first service but after I break in the engine that first batch of oil is very messy right? Should I not get an oil change much sooner? Currently at 500km.
The recommendation is 15K kms - first oil change is paid for by Audi in Canada and the U.S.

I think this is one of those controversial things - I think many people (including whoever made the maintenance recommendation) would argue that the first batch of oil in a modern engine made with modern manufacturing methods isn't particularly messy. Others take the view that you should change the oil way earlier.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Keep in mind that in downtown Toronto, 15-18L/100km is normal... compared to 6 on the highway).

The recommendation is 15K kms - first oil change is paid for by Audi in Canada and the U.S.

I think this is one of those controversial things - I think many people (including whoever made the maintenance recommendation) would argue that the first batch of oil in a modern engine made with modern manufacturing methods isn't particularly messy. Others take the view that you should change the oil way earlier.
1) Man I'm getting like... 12-13 in Toronto w/ our cars

2) I'm one of those that changed at first 8K.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:32 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
1) Man I'm getting like... 12-13 in Toronto w/ our cars
IIRC, you're quite a bit further north from me. Perhaps I should rephase - the 15-18 is in the zone that I would say is defined roughly by Lake Shore on the south side, Eglinton on the north, Dufferin (or maybe Keele) on the west, and I'm not sure what the eastbound boundary is (I don't really know the area east of the DVP well). The zone where the speed limit is usually 40km/h, lights/stop signs are absurdly close to each other, and pedestrians/cyclists are everywhere. Really, if I was driving from work at rush hour, I think I'd probably be in the low 20s, not 15-18L/100km...
Old 01-06-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has there been any fix yet for the 360 camera view to stay selected when park assist is engaged? I was reading the A5 section and they suggested to select off for Automatic - kind of pointless to since the system should activate automatic....