A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Acoustic Glass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acoustic Glass?

I've seen mention that the Prestige package includes Acoustic Glass on the front side windows, but cannot actually find any reference to it in any specs. Does anyone have any info? The dealer I've been talking with cannot find any info. I've seen a few reviews that casually mention acoustic glass, but I've seen nothing definitive. I'm specifically interested in the 2017 A4 Sedan. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have it on my car, but I'm not in the US.
Maybe it's an European option only.

This doesn't tell you much, only that the front door windows keep outside noises away if equiped with acoustic glass.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Easiest way is to roll down the window and look if it has a "sandwiched" laminate between two pieces of glass. I've owed a car with it and it's makes a difference in lower interior noise and better theft protection. I'm guessing what part of the "world market" you are in depends if this is included or not. It's surprising all luxury cars don't have this as standard.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, I've read that the decibel levels in the B9 A4 are as quiet as those in the A8. I know mine is certainly quiet. For that reason, I'm not sure why they even need acoustic glass on the side windows.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

....because it's one of the easiest ways to quit the interior of a car. On todays car managing wind noise created by the A pillar and mirrors is about the most troublesome to quell, and acoustic front glass is an effortless way to quite that noise. Also "smash and grab" theft is greatly reduced, and the UV light protection offered by the laminate used for acoustics keeps sun fade on interior leather and plastic to a minimum as the car ages (a happy byproduct of the design)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through this for my US build as well. After talking with the dealer, the dealer talking with Audi, and me talking with Audi, I'm told that US A4 prestiges do not have side acoustic glass (the A4 Allroad does, however). This is only missing on the US model unfortunately and the other countries either have it as standard or an option.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PageMaster500
I just went through this for my US build as well. After talking with the dealer, the dealer talking with Audi, and me talking with Audi, I'm told that US A4 prestiges do not have side acoustic glass (the A4 Allroad does, however). This is only missing on the US model unfortunately and the other countries either have it as standard or an option.
Why Audi make it so complicated!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Funny as I go the opposite from Audi and the Prestige has it. I noticed my car is quieter inside than the Premium Plus I drove. AAs I was not exspecting lighted door sills but they come with the Prestige also.

Originally Posted by PageMaster500
Old 02-16-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_NJ
Funny as I go the opposite from Audi and the Prestige has it. I noticed my car is quieter inside than the Premium Plus I drove. AAs I was not exspecting lighted door sills but they come with the Prestige also.
The Premium plus also has lit door sills with the S line logo.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mg313
I've seen mention that the Prestige package includes Acoustic Glass on the front side windows, but cannot actually find any reference to it in any specs. Does anyone have any info? The dealer I've been talking with cannot find any info. I've seen a few reviews that casually mention acoustic glass, but I've seen nothing definitive. I'm specifically interested in the 2017 A4 Sedan. Any insight would be much appreciated!
I think the acoustic side glass is only on the A4 Allroad Prestige, but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Acoustic Glass?