A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Adding rear fog light lamp to 2018

Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Adding rear fog light lamp to 2018

So Audi decided to cut costs and get rid of the rear fog lamp / light option in the 2018 models. In its place is a nice blank. Does anyone know if you can add it back in? I'd love to have the option to turn it on in bad weather. Of course, we have the occasional idiot driver who decides to leave it on all the time and blind following drivers.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I am not sure why you want it. I was behind an A6 couple days ago and the driver had that lights on. My eyes couldn't stand the bright red in front of me and had to move over to other lane. To be clear, I wasn't tailgating at all. I myself only used the light one time many months ago when it was really foggy and I did notice that people behind me all moved over to other lanes. I never used it again since then no matter it's foggy or raining. It might only be useful in heavy down pours then people will have flash on already.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think to your point is the reason why some might want it... like I'm right here, don't hit me!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
I am not sure why you want it. I was behind an A6 couple days ago and the driver had that lights on. My eyes couldn't stand the bright red in front of me and had to move over to other lane. To be clear, I wasn't tailgating at all. I myself only used the light one time many months ago when it was really foggy and I did notice that people behind me all moved over to other lanes. I never used it again since then no matter it's foggy or raining. It might only be useful in heavy down pours then people will have flash on already.
it comes in handy in fog,rain storms and snow.

not sure why you wouldnt use it.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I did activate rear fogs in my Volkswagen CC. In my case all the wiring and the actual lamp were already in place from the factory. I changed the light switch to Euro version, added a trigger wire from the switch to ECM and activated rear fogs with VCDS. I don’t think Audi has removed all the wiring and hardware from US cars since that would have added more cost and complication to the production line. So maybe the same can be done to the A4
Old 02-16-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would like to have the option to use it in a really bad rain storm where there is spray everywhere and wipers going at high speed or in a dense fog situation, etc. Something that helps make me more visible to other drivers in those situations and not getting rear ended is a big plus.

I am not going to be one of those idiots that leave it on to blind people behind me. My guess is that if one is a poster on here, hopefully you will use it properly.

It appears that the only option I've been informed of is to buy the Euro rear tail light package. It is not worth $1100+ at this point for that rear fog and different rear lights.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I’m pretty sure the only things you need are a 2017 A4 light switch and a trigger wire. Building a separate headlight and wiring for US cars just adds to the cost and this is something VW/Audi doesn’t usually do. Btw the 2018 Q5 has the rear fogs.

Last edited by marz1; 02-16-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by marz1
I’m pretty sure the only things you need are a 2017 A4 light switch and a trigger wire. Building a separate headlight and wiring for US cars just adds to the cost and this is something VW/Audi doesn’t usually do. Btw the 2018 Q5 has the rear fogs.
That would make sense to me, but do lighting changes require coding updates? What's the trigger wire? Thanks.

I always read on BMW forums, you had to update system code if you did things to the lights, like change to LEDs from the cheap regular filament bulbs and tail lights on my 2014 428i to make them work properly.

Wonder why some models didn't get their rear fogs axed.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
That would make sense to me, but do lighting changes require coding updates? What's the trigger wire? Thanks.

I always read on BMW forums, you had to update system code if you did things to the lights, like change to LEDs from the cheap regular filament bulbs and tail lights on my 2014 428i to make them work properly.

Wonder why some models didn't get their rear fogs axed.
i don’t think you need code for activating tail fog light if you do go with the Y17 light switches. The reason for needing coding with changing of Halogen to LED is for light leveling and aiming with HID and LED.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by minmet
i don’t think you need code for activating tail fog light if you do go with the Y17 light switches. The reason for needing coding with changing of Halogen to LED is for light leveling and aiming with HID and LED.
So the part number for the 2017 A4 headlight switch is: 4M0-941-531-AA-5PR for around $180.00. So you think it is just pure plug and play? I have no idea how the wiring works for these switches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding rear fog light lamp to 2018