A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Adding rear fog light lamp to 2018

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
So the part number for the 2017 A4 headlight switch is: 4M0-941-531-AA-5PR for around $180.00. So you think it is just pure plug and play? I have no idea how the wiring works for these switches.

It Depends on the switch and the wiring. The coding would be the easy part. It may just be the switch or it may be the switch and the wiring to the ECM. I don’t think this has been attempted before. We need some wiring diagrams to make sure.
You can get the instructions for removing the headlight switch fand probably the wiring diagrams here :

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showSearch.do

Also you can compare the tail light assembly and the wiring differences between MY 17 and 18 to make sure the lamps and wiring are still there.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The taillight assembly and wiring are different. The two wires to the comfort module in the trunk are missing, and the lights physically do not have the LEDs inside. You'd need to add the two wires and then parameterize the control module. Just adding the wires and switch will not enable them.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

So we need wires to the control module in the trunk and one LED in each light?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We get a lot of dense fog down here in FL and I use my rear fog lamp all the time when the fog is heavy...very happy I have it!

Last edited by securityguy; 02-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the part number for the 2017 A4 headlight switch is: 4M0-941-531-AA-5PR for around $180.00. So you think it is just pure plug and play? I have no idea how the wiring works for these switches.
I dont' have a definitive answer, but my belief is that if Audi removed it to cut costs, they removed everything that was in the car only to support it. So, along with the switch, the wiring as well.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
The taillight assembly and wiring are different. The two wires to the comfort module in the trunk are missing, and the lights physically do not have the LEDs inside. You'd need to add the two wires and then parameterize the control module. Just adding the wires and switch will not enable them.
Yep, sounds like they removed everything. A lot of work to add it in. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, sounds like they removed everything. A lot of work to add it in. Thank you!
Correct. If it’s not needed, it’s not there. The exception is trailer prep wiring on the Q models.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike60564
I dont' have a definitive answer, but my belief is that if Audi removed it to cut costs, they removed everything that was in the car only to support it. So, along with the switch, the wiring as well.

I don’t agree. Simple example, The camera behind the rear view mirror. All US cars have it but active lane assist and high beam assist are only active in prestige models or cars with driver assistant package. Another recent move by Audi making S line standard across the board for all US cars to simplify the production even more. Altering taillights/wiring after only one model year would add complication to the production line and add to the cost.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by marz1

I don’t agree. Simple example, The camera behind the rear view mirror. All US cars have it but active lane assist and high beam assist are only active in prestige models or cars with driver assistant package. Another recent move by Audi making S line standard across the board for all US cars to simplify the production even more. Altering taillights/wiring after only one model year would add complication to the production line and add to the cost.
You're more than welcome to disagree. However, I worked for the company and ran the team that built most of the tech you're now enjoying. This type of thing happens frequently because some changes aren't necessarily pegged to cost constraints/reduction. For example, on A4/A5, customer feedback saw one of the two USB ports relocated to make it more convenient to access. This required engineering two new parts and modifications to the harness, plus updates to owner's literature and other content, including technician training. There isn't a cost savings here.

The taillights were also slightly darkened (due to market preference) and the lack of a legal requirement in this market meant that rear fogs were dropped. So two changes, not just one. The lack of rear fogs is becoming common amongst many German OEMs, including BMW.

To my point above, if it's not needed, it's not there.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're more than welcome to disagree. However, I worked for the company and ran the team that built most of the tech you're now enjoying. This type of thing happens frequently because some changes aren't necessarily pegged to cost constraints/reduction. For example, on A4/A5, customer feedback saw one of the two USB ports relocated to make it more convenient to access. This required engineering two new parts and modifications to the harness, plus updates to owner's literature and other content, including technician training. There isn't a cost savings here.

The taillights were also slightly darkened (due to market preference) and the lack of a legal requirement in this market meant that rear fogs were dropped. So two changes, not just one. The lack of rear fogs is becoming common amongst many German OEMs, including BMW.
I appreciate your remarks. I too have worked and designed several models regarding assembly line efficiency and am fully aware of the flexibility the factory has to add/remove features during the life cycle of the vehicle. It is usually a no go decision made by product manager if it significantly adds to the production complexity/cost. It was mentioned in this thread that the rear fogs were removed for cost cutting. I disagree with that. If it was removed because of market feedback, then that’s a different story.

To my point above, if it's not needed, it's not there.
How does this explain the Driver assistant Camera being present on all US models while the feature is only available in prestige cars?

Last edited by marz1; 02-18-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding rear fog light lamp to 2018