A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

android auto disconnecting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default android auto disconnecting issues

Hi
recently im having trouble using Android Auto with my A4. I have a google pixel 2 xl phone with the original google usb-c to usb-a cable bought from google store (the previous belkin cable does not even connect). However, I usually need to unplug and plug several times for android auto to connect to the car screen and whats more annoying is when I touch the phone or the cable or even sometimes due to car shakes (like when you drive pass a road hump), it will disconnect.

Anyone came through the same issues?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanZ
Hi
recently im having trouble using Android Auto with my A4. I have a google pixel 2 xl phone with the original google usb-c to usb-a cable bought from google store (the previous belkin cable does not even connect). However, I usually need to unplug and plug several times for android auto to connect to the car screen and whats more annoying is when I touch the phone or the cable or even sometimes due to car shakes (like when you drive pass a road hump), it will disconnect.

Anyone came through the same issues?
That sounds like a connection issue. I know the Pixel 2 had possible issues with a loose USB-C port over time. Best suggestion is to try another cable, its not the MMI.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
That sounds like a connection issue. I know the Pixel 2 had possible issues with a loose USB-C port over time. Best suggestion is to try another cable, its not the MMI.
Thanks. I will try another cable then.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Former Googler / AA team member here. Sounds like this could be your cable if you're seeing a correlation of dropping connection with bumps. There are other potential issues with drops (such as the USB-C port becoming dislodged, or software bugs that don't have the phone in the right USB mode) but try another phone with the same cable if you want to isolate if its the cable or your phone.

Anyhow, official AA recommendations on cables: https://support.google.com/androidau...d=MlyOoBoPBAAJ

I use Anker PowerLine cables, they work best IMHO
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2MJNP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2MJNP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Former Googler / AA team member here. Sounds like this could be your cable if you're seeing a correlation of dropping connection with bumps. There are other potential issues with drops (such as the USB-C port becoming dislodged, or software bugs that don't have the phone in the right USB mode) but try another phone with the same cable if you want to isolate if its the cable or your phone.

Anyhow, official AA recommendations on cables: https://support.google.com/androidau...d=MlyOoBoPBAAJ

I use Anker PowerLine cables, they work best IMHO https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi scoopman, many thanks for your suggestions. My new Anker powerline+ cable is on the way and will see how. If its the cable issue, i would be very shocked why google's original cable did not work with its own phone and own AA. Imao.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EthanZ
Hi scoopman, many thanks for your suggestions. My new Anker powerline+ cable is on the way and will see how. If its the cable issue, i would be very shocked why google's original cable did not work with its own phone and own AA. Imao.
Sounds ridiculous I know, but AA taxes the cable with the amount of data flowing between the car and the phone, and also with the stress on the cable with the much higher number of plug/unplugs. USB-C cables might not be optimized / tested for the AA use case, and the teams that put cables in the Google store and those on the team that make the phones are completely different folks from the AA team.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Lick it first?

I kid... I kid...

No connection issues with my S10+ though Scoop I do have a question. So I recently subscribed to YouTubeTV and for some reason the audio does not work over Bluetooth. Regular YouTube works fine all the time, YouTubeTV only works on AA. I'm happy it works with AA but generally I like to have the phone plugged into the fast charger and not the car USB. Just a random thought since it sounds like you are in the know.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turboale
Lick it first?

I kid... I kid...

No connection issues with my S10+ though Scoop I do have a question. So I recently subscribed to YouTubeTV and for some reason the audio does not work over Bluetooth. Regular YouTube works fine all the time, YouTubeTV only works on AA. I'm happy it works with AA but generally I like to have the phone plugged into the fast charger and not the car USB. Just a random thought since it sounds like you are in the know.
To clarify, you should be using the YouTube MUSIC app for Android Auto and Bluetooth music listening. While you have access to this streaming service with your YouTube TV subscription, its the music app that, well, lets you stream music like you can thru other services like Spotify etc. YTM is replacing Google Play Music sometime soon, although GPM is still kicking around.

Assuming you have YTM, it should work both in AA and over Bluetooth connected directly to your Audi. Do other music or podcast apps on your phone play audio over Bluetooth? If not this could indicate a pairing issue with the MMI.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Everything seems to work other than TTTV... Don't know if it is a permissions thing or what? I use GMusic 90% of the time but sometimes I like to put the news on...
Old 05-23-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turboale
Everything seems to work other than TTTV... Don't know if it is a permissions thing or what? I use GMusic 90% of the time but sometimes I like to put the news on...
Okay so let me ask, what do you mean by "not work"? YouTube MUSIC (again you should not be trying to use the TV app, that prob won't work over BT) should work streaming over BT, but it doesn't autoplay when it connects (like other apps do such as Spotify). Can you tell me more of what happens when you open the YouTube Music app after connecting to your car over BT (just charging, no Android Auto connection) and you hit the play button to play music? What happens?

Quick Reply: android auto disconnecting issues