A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Android Auto screen freezes after 2 mins.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto screen freezes after 2 mins.

All,

I am having issues with Android Auto in my vehicle. The screen freezes in 2 minutes of plugging in the device and opening Android Auto. This is faster when running Google Maps navigation. I tried all the cables "certified" by Google and still run into same issues. The problem is persistent across all USB-C devices(Moto Z, LG G6) and micro USB devices(Samsung S7). Irony is that Android Auto used to work (albeit with some connectivity issues over a period of time) prior to the latest versions of Android Auto. Anyone else see the same problem? I have Google Android Auto user group concerns raised on this thread- https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/msgid/android-auto/a7a02afe-023d-4aa2-bebf-90c7b4cde06c%40googleproductforums.com.

Please let me know.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I've used android auto a couple of times and it never froze. But I personally am not a fan of android auto/CarPlay. Mainly because I find it extremely difficult concentrating on the phone/MMI while driving. So I never do that. Thank God for VC and Nav available right in front of you.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My current vehicle does not have the tech package. Android Auto was working in my previous vehicle(2017 Audi A4 which was 7 months old when I traded in), which also did not have the tech package. My wife was mostly using the vehicle and I did not use it as much. So it seems like newest version of Android Auto is where the issue lies or maybe version of MMI Radio Plus(0126) is the culrprit. I have tried multiple devices(Samsung S7, S8, Moto Z, LG G6) and multiple interfaces(USB-C and micro-USB) to no avail. Need to see if this is specific to my vehicle or is it a common issue.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've connected two different Samsung galaxy S7 edges and three different iPhones. No issues with android auto/CarPlay whatsoever. In fact, it works so well that I find it irritating (connects as soon as I plug in my phone and stays connected until I quit the app on my phone).
Old 05-08-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for that. Did you use Android Auto in the recent past(in the past couple of weeks)?

As for IPhone, I have no issues with Carplay and I also checked both the USB ports. But I prefer Google Maps and forthcoming Waze integration, I am eager to use Android Auto on my daily drive.

Reason for the question is that I am trying to isolate if the issue is pertinent MMI interface<--> Android Auto(ver 2.2) or if it is my specific vehicle(mine's a Mar 2017 build)

My previous vehicle(Aug 2016 build) did not have any issues.

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I used it today morning. And it worked without any issue. I let my wife play with it during our 1.5hr drive and it worked fine all through the trip.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cool. Thanks. That helps. If you don't mind, can you kindly let me know the version of Android Auto you have on your device? If it is 2.2.X or 2.3.x, then I could probably get the version you have to isolate this problem further. . You can find it Settings part of Android Auto. At this point, I have to believe that it has to do with the version of MMI which I have on my vehicle or the vehicle itself. I am not inclined to blame the vehicle as yet, given Carplay works just fine for hours without any issues.

I will take it in tomorrow to the dealer. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine is version 2.2.710804. I don't see an update for 2.3.x!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Vipin. This is an issue with newer software versions of MMI and Audi is working on a fix. Previous versions on B9 2017+ Audi A4 works fine. The dealership would let me know when the fix is available and I will update the status here.

Interim, it is advisable not to go in for a software/firmware update on MMI.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by krissbell
Thanks Vipin. This is an issue with newer software versions of MMI and Audi is working on a fix. Previous versions on B9 2017+ Audi A4 works fine. The dealership would let me know when the fix is available and I will update the status here.

Interim, it is advisable not to go in for a software/firmware update on MMI.

Thanks
Good to hear that they are working on it. I'm still not sure how to convince the service advisor for an MMI update without any issues with the MMI.

Quick Reply: Android Auto screen freezes after 2 mins.