A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Anyone on here with an A4 (B9) with a heated steering wheel?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:13 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
What's the part number of your current stalks.
Steering column electronics

4M0907129LS
Old 11-17-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

If you wanted to remove the Heated Steering wheel you would need 4M0907129LN
Old 11-20-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
P.S. Just checked, there doesn't appear to be a heated 4 spoke wheel for your car. So you will need a new wheel and airbag too.
Are you sure about that? I was looking at the 4M0419091A as a replacement for my current wheel, do you not think that it will suite me? It seems like it should have all the options I currently have, and it looks the same, except for the heating. Or am I missing something? I've been looking in eBay and both 4M0419091A and 4M0907129JE are available as used parts.

Last edited by Puderzo; 11-21-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Moving from heated wheel to flatbottom

@bruce_miranda If I wanted to "down grade" from a heated steering wheel to a flat bottom steering wheel, then I would need a new steering stalk?

Does the "Heated Wheel Error" you mention actually affect anything?
Does the non-heated wheel function properly despite the error?
And is there no way to code the heated wheel part out?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The heated steering wheel error doesn't affect anything, but is an error displayed nonetheless.

You might not be able to code it out because the stalks are no longer a codeable unit, they are fixed in function. You could be creative and put a resistor instead of the Heating loop and making sure the Heating function is definitely OFF.

The one thing you might want to code in is the ability to use the Multi Function (Joker) button on your new steering wheel. It's where the Heating Button is on your current wheel.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Puderzo
Are you sure about that? I was looking at the 4M0419091A as a replacement for my current wheel, do you not think that it will suite me? It seems like it should have all the options I currently have, and it looks the same, except for the heating. Or am I missing something? I've been looking in eBay and both 4M0419091A and 4M0907129JE are available as used parts.
Yes you may be right. If you have tipronic then either 4M0419091A or 4M0419091J should work.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Bruce, I guess I will know soon enough, as I bought both used on eBay and am now waiting for them to arrive. If you could point me in the right direction as to which fuse holder and what size fuse you tapped for the wire, as well as any other details on where to route the extra wire, I'd be very grateful.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok, so I got the steering wheel and stalks, and had a look through Elsa on how to remove and replace the parts. Seems straightforward enough.

But exactly where should I route the new wire you mention in post 12? I have an LHD model, so the routing should be easy, but I need to know where to connect this, what kind of fuse I should use and which fuse slot I should put this in. Could you @bruce_miranda perhaps give me any hints?

I guess I'll have to code the heated steering wheel option also somewhere, in addition to resetting the angle sensor, do you know where that coding resides? I have VCDS (the older pre-HexNet version, so not able to access all MBQ modules, so depending on module location this is an option or not), and OBDEleven.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just in case someone else is looking for this, here's an end to my story. Unfortunately, I got no response on this forum on where to connect the extra wire, so I just had a local shop do this installation on my Q7. They charged three hours of time to do the installation, which apparently included installing the steering wheel, noticing that the heating did not work, looking up wire diagrams, running the extra wire from the fuse box, installing the steering wheel and stalks again and programming the car to recognize the heating function. Had I thought to notify them that they needed the extra wire, I would probably have saved an hour or so. Oh well, I now have a functioning heated steering wheel; I love not needing gloves anymore (especially since the MMI touch plate requires touch-screen gloves to work)!

Unfortunately, the used steering wheel I bought on eBay has a small issue with the volume switch (it's sticking slightly), so I will be looking into getting a new button assembly and change that out at some point. But that's for another day.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Excellent. So now a Q7 and an A5 have done the retrofit.

On the A5 no coding is needed to get the Heated Steering to work. This is because the stalks now have different part numbers based on the functions needed, and are pre-coded.
So as long as you know where to run the extra wire in your particular car to the fuse box, it should be a simple task. For the A5, I got the information from this forum itself. For other cars, I would suggest checking the wiring diagrams.

The only coding needed it to recalibrate the steering wheel angle sensor. This is needed because you are putting new stalks.

Did you use Brand New stalks or used ones bought off eBay? When I was doing mine there was a difference of opinion whether a used one would work or not. So I bought a new part. In any case a used one with all the features I wanted wasn't easily available. I took the opportunity of buying one with the ALA button too. I know the VIN number is stored in the part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone on here with an A4 (B9) with a heated steering wheel?