A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Apple Car play problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markymids
Did you hear back from your Audi dealer re the issue?
Just got my car back. Audi spent all day with it yesterday, trying to debug this. They say that this is not an MMI firmware bug, that there are no "bulletins" on the issue, and believe it is an iOS 11 bug. They tested with half a dozen iPhones, and could not reproduce the issue. It was only happening with my iPhone X. They sent me home with print outs of "service bulletins" which suggest that I do all the things I already have tried (example: USB cable, allow CarPlay while locked, etc).

I am a software developer too!
Wow! There are lot of us on this forum. Glad to know there are so many knowledgeable folks here.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amademann
Another iOS engineers here. I'm not sure when this issue started, but my iPhone X has the same behavior. I don't recall the Parking assist causing this issue frequently with my iPhone 7.
I experienced the Parking camera issue with my old iPhone 7 Plus-- but not until after updating to one of the iOS 11 builds (I am unsure which one).

One of our fellow owners suggested a good workaround for restoring CarPlay once it goes away: press the MEDIA button, then the MENU button, then select the CarPlay icon. This is much easier than removing/reinserting the USB cable, or resetting the MMI with the 3-finger salute.

I have now trained myself to press the MENU button before backing up (much as I have trained myself to disable AutoStopStart immediately after starting the car).
Old 12-22-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

So this may or may not be related but I did run into this yesterday and I have run into the problem on previous cars. It sounds trivial and silly but it happens. Yesterday, on the way to work CarPlay went out while driving on a nice, straight, flat country road. This happened after I have said in this and other forums that I have no problem with CarPlay. I suspected the problem was one I had seen previously so as soon as I got home I grabbed a magnifier and a toothpick and pulled a bunch of pocket lint out of the Lightning Connector. Over time fuzz gets jammed down in the bottom of the connector until eventually some of the contacts become intermittent.

My guess is that this is not the problem that most of you are having but maybe it will help one or two people.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lifjoy
I experienced the Parking camera issue with my old iPhone 7 Plus-- but not until after updating to one of the iOS 11 builds (I am unsure which one).

One of our fellow owners suggested a good workaround for restoring CarPlay once it goes away: press the MEDIA button, then the MENU button, then select the CarPlay icon. This is much easier than removing/reinserting the USB cable, or resetting the MMI with the 3-finger salute.

I have now trained myself to press the MENU button before backing up (much as I have trained myself to disable AutoStopStart immediately after starting the car).
It's so irritating we have to do this though - driving home to my parents today - stupid drivers got too close to me THREE times setting off my parking sensor - so I had to press "media" which then cuts off the music, and then press menu and back to carplay and restart the music again. I'd rather just disable the parking sensor graphic & just have the noise instead tbh - but I can't find any way to disable it.

I wish Audi/Apple/whoever could sort this out.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No CarPlay issues in rental cars --> Audi software problem

My 2017 Q7 has the issue where CarPlay disconnects and won't reconnect without physically removing and reconnecting the lightning cable. This happens every time I drive my car and is extremely frustrating. I strongly believe that this is an Audi software issue and is unrelated to CarPlay, cables, iOS version or iPhone hardware for the following reasons:

1. In the past two months, I have rented three vehicles, each time for 3-4 days, drove several hundred miles in total and didn't experience a single CarPlay glitch in any one of the vehicles. The vehicles were a GMC Yukon, a Ford Expedition and a Honda HRV. I was using my iPhone 8 with an Amazon Basics Lighting cable.
2. In my Q7, I have tried various cables and have found the disconnect behavior is about the same whether I use Apple branded cables that came with my phones or highly-rated 3rd party cables like the Anker Powerline cables.
3. I also haven't observed any improvement or worse behavior with iOS 11 vs iOS 10, or between my iPhone 6s vs iPhone 8.

If it wasn't for the flawless experience in the two rental cars, I would be inclined to believe my service advisor at Audi Seattle who claims that CarPlay simply never works reliably. Clearly, this is not the case and Audi needs to acknowledge and address their CarPlay problems.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ASalomon
Audi needs to acknowledge and address their CarPlay problems.
Amen from me. I have better luck than you have had, but I regularly have to disconnect and reconnect. I have not been able to test with other brands of cars like you have, but my experience has covered an iPhone 6S and iPhone 8, every release of iOS over the past 21 months, and three different cables.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ASalomon
My 2017 Q7 has the issue where CarPlay disconnects and won't reconnect without physically removing and reconnecting the lightning cable. This happens every time I drive my car and is extremely frustrating. I strongly believe that this is an Audi software issue and is unrelated to CarPlay, cables, iOS version or iPhone hardware for the following reasons:

1. In the past two months, I have rented three vehicles, each time for 3-4 days, drove several hundred miles in total and didn't experience a single CarPlay glitch in any one of the vehicles. The vehicles were a GMC Yukon, a Ford Expedition and a Honda CRV. I was using my iPhone 8 with an Amazon Basics Lighting cable.
2. In my Q7, I have tried various cables and have found the disconnect behavior is about the same whether I use Apple branded cables that came with my phones or highly-rated 3rd party cables like the Anker Powerline cables.
3. I also haven't observed any improvement or worse behavior with iOS 11 vs iOS 10, or between my iPhone 6s vs iPhone 8.

If it wasn't for the flawless experience in the two rental cars, I would be inclined to believe my service advisor at Audi Seattle who claims that CarPlay simply never works reliably. Clearly, this is not the case and Audi needs to acknowledge and address their CarPlay problems.
Correction: It was a Honda CRV, not HRV.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Rather than physically disconnecting / reconnecting the cable to the iphone I find it less cumbersome to disconnect then reconnect through the connection manager
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So glad to see someone else reporting this issue, I've been scouring all over the internet for people who have the same 'symptoms' I do - I have had Carplay working fine on my iPhone 6S since I bought the car in May - I recently updated to the iPhone X and it seemed fine at first, but now I've upgraded to ios 11.2 I have the exact same issue.

Every day - as soon as I engage reverse, the carplay interface shuts down, carplay will continue to play apple music in the background but I cannot get back to the Apple Carplay interface without unplugging/replugging the phone. The same thing happens with the sensors, if I get too close to the car in front, the sensors activate - Apple Carplay shuts down again.

It's so irritating - you pay a grand for a phone to get a better experience - not one that is infinitely worse! I hate not having access to Carplay whilst driving.

Did you get anywhere with this problem? I have spoken to Apple and they said I need to contact Audi - I contacted them but now have to wait 3 weeks for them to see the car.
I got a 2018 Audi Q5 and I have the exact same issue! I thought I was losing my mind and this is a new car! Let me know if it has been resolved. I wasn't sure if it was my iPhone 6s or the car itself.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a new way to recreate the problem: turn off your screen while driving. Last night I was just listening to an audiobook and decided to kill the screen. Turn it back on and you can't get into Carplay.

Quick Reply: Apple Car play problems