A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Apple iOS 12 and CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so it sounds like many are still not able to have google maps to work? I want wet through all the settings could be a google app issue? Any recommendations?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josgarc
Okay so it sounds like many are still not able to have google maps to work? I want wet through all the settings could be a google app issue? Any recommendations?
I don’t think Google Maps has released an update enabling support for CarPlay. Waze has for developer testers/early adopters. For the rest of us, it’s wait and see...
Old 09-18-2018, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave788

I don’t think Google Maps has released an update enabling support for CarPlay. Waze has for developer testers/early adopters. For the rest of us, it’s wait and see...
correct. Apple has enabled support for google maps and Waze and now Google has to update the apps for CarPlay. This could be a few weeks out.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave788
I’m following this because I HATE CarPlay overall but the ability to mirror Waze or Google Maps may be enough to get me to start using it and learning to like it. I hope to God Google Maps allows for satellite view. I’ll cream my pants if it integrates into VC or HUD.
Google Maps does support satellite view now in Android Auto, so I would expect the same for CarPlay. I don't expect it to display in the VC or HUD, though, as that would require Audi to release new software, and they seems to be pretty lethargic and unresponsive on that score.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the Google Maps update! Sadly, I'm stuck in the office for a few more hours, so can't comment on functionality yet. Looking forward to Waze next!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Google Maps does support satellite view now in Android Auto, so I would expect the same for CarPlay. I don't expect it to display in the VC or HUD, though, as that would require Audi to release new software, and they seems to be pretty lethargic and unresponsive on that score.
Getting google maps or apple maps on the VC would be too proper
It would be awesome for us Canadians if that happen since we don't get the Google Earth overlay but like you said Audi would never ever do tht
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

just updated to IOS 12 and updated google maps.. sadly no google maps on VC but it works good on the tablet..
Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsynergy
just updated to IOS 12 and updated google maps.. sadly no google maps on VC but it works good on the tablet..
Yeah, not being able to take full advantage of all the car's displays and the lack of voice integration with Siri are probably the two biggest drawbacks still. Also Apple's complete refusal to let users replace the Apple default apps with better third-party apps, so that if you click on an address in a calendar appointment or an email it would open it in Google Maps directly instead of Apple Maps. Thankfully some third-parties like Microsoft have stepped in and offer better email/calendar apps that let you configure one's preferred mapping app, but it's just all a bit clunky if you have go between apps just to complete a simple task such as starting navigation with one's preferred mapping app from an email. Good forbid somebody sends you their address in a text message, then the damn iPhone is still gonna open it in Apple Maps.

At least we have choice now. I'm not about to go Android for many reasons, so at least in my next car with CarPlay I can use Google Maps, Waze or the builit-in nav depending on the situation and I guess I'll deal with the rough integration edges.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Google Maps 5.0.3001 just out and supports CarPlay. Waze and Google Maps in one week - goanna start using CarPlay a lot now.

Last edited by arudson; 09-18-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-18-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey wait a second, this guy is driving an A3!!!

Quick Reply: Apple iOS 12 and CarPlay